Post-Game Talk: #28 - 12/02/18 | jets @ RANGERS | 6:00 - MSG

Three stars

• Total voters

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Unless they opt for Byram, the Rangers are almost certainly going to end up with a potential first liner at a minimum in the upcoming first round.
But so does everyone else in top 10. So where did we make hay? Need that "extra pick(s)" to count big time.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
I think it's the frustration that the Rangers have drafted just one elite forward in the last twenty years (and that one literally dropped dead).
Imagine the anticipation/expectations/pressure that would have been on him.......shame the way and THAT he passed away, but we all might have killed him as well.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
So the bye week could not have come at a better time. I need a break from this team, and think this team needs a break from themselves also. That was a bad loss last night, and I've said good teams find a way to win, but then bad or mediocre teams will find a way to lose even when they have a 3-0 lead heading into the 3rd period. Sorry, very disgusted with that game last night. Even with Mika having an excellent game, which was happy for him, it kinda went out the window.

Like someone said before, when Marc Staal has been one of your few steady D's and far from the worst, that is a major concern.
Did you happen to catch the Caps ugly loss to Anaheim at home as well, ENDING their 7 game winning streak? How would that game be encapsulated?

A bad team finding a way to lose?
A good team finding a way to win?
I would say neither, more like the Caps think they are big and bad and not privy to taking a game for granted with a 4 goal lead and at HOME especially, where they rarely lose.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
I would hope there would be other avenues to fix the defense before then. Staal/Smith/Shattenkirk all expiring in 2020-21, should have added a ton of assets by then. Should have a ton of cap room. I would hope it doesn't take that long.

If we can part with ANY/ALL of them before then, its a win.
If we can retrieve ANYTHING for any of them (I would think in Shatty, we will).......again, its a win.

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Did you happen to catch the Caps ugly loss to Anaheim at home as well, ENDING their 7 game winning streak? How would that game be encapsulated?

A bad team finding a way to lose?
A good team finding a way to win?
I would say neither, more like the Caps think they are big and bad and not privy to taking a game for granted with a 4 goal lead and at HOME especially, where they rarely lose.

It's sports. Things happen. One change in momentum and things happen.

I find the change in the forum from during the game blaming Smith for the penalty (imo, cost the Rangers the game), morphing into the Rangers are terrible to be ridiculous. There are far too many in here who WANT the Rangers to be a terrible team.

Smith doesn't take the penalty, the Rangers win that game. Outplayed, outchanced, and outskated, yes, but they would have gotten the W, thanks to Hank and Zibanejad.

Reactions: Larrybiv

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
I have no idea of what you’re trying to say here.
I'm sorry bud....Okay, I will try and explain myself. Say that all of the players chosen 1-10 are EQUALLY talented (I know, but lets say)
Teams that have those 1-10 picks essentially cancelled each other out. Those teams have gotten better, as will the Rangers.
Teams that DON'T get those quality picks are already potentially better than those getting those picks......they get the remaining picks, right?

So where did we get better than other teams in 1-10 spots?
All i meant besides that is any DIFFERENCE would be if we had "extra" picks that could potentially be a difference in the end.

Essentially, we get better.....other teams do as well.
Teams that are already good, add good players too.
That's a lot of catching up to do......Gorton is well on his way.

Just think of how bad a shape this team would be WITHOUT the fortunate signing of Hayes and yes......Vesey as well.
Signing them was like not losing a couple of draft picks that were given away like free water. Ryan Clowe anyone?

Reactions: NCRanger

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
I'm sorry bud....Okay, I will try and explain myself. Say that all of the players chosen 1-10 are EQUALLY talented (I know, but lets say)
Teams that have those 1-10 picks essentially cancelled each other out. Those teams have gotten better, as will the Rangers.
Teams that DON'T get those quality picks are already potentially better than those getting those picks......they get the remaining picks, right?

So where did we get better than other teams in 1-10 spots?
All i meant besides that is any DIFFERENCE would be if we had "extra" picks that could potentially be a difference in the end.

Essentially, we get better.....other teams do as well.
Teams that are already good, add good players too.
That's a lot of catching up to do......Gorton is well on his way.

Just think of how bad a shape this team would be WITHOUT the fortunate signing of Hayes and yes......Vesey as well.
Signing them was like not losing a couple of draft picks that were given away like free water. Ryan Clowe anyone?

They are in a different phase. They have had five first round picks in the past two years and I expect them to have at least three in the upcoming draft. Eight firsts in three drafts? I guess you could call that ‘making hay’.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
It's sports. Things happen. One change in momentum and things happen.

I find the change in the forum from during the game blaming Smith for the penalty (imo, cost the Rangers the game), morphing into the Rangers are terrible to be ridiculous. There are far too many in here who WANT the Rangers to be a terrible team.

Smith doesn't take the penalty, the Rangers win that game. Outplayed, outchanced, and outskated, yes, but they would have gotten the W, thanks to Hank and Zibanejad.
Absolutely. I said it earlier. Literally GIVEN a 3-0 lead due to Hank and a few nice plays......playing "smart" in the 3rd was all they had to do. Yes, Smith was the latest bonehead to snatch a loss out of the hands of a victory.
Honestly, some of that has to be on "Quinnie". I know it wasnt him getting the penalty, but exactly WHAT isnt he getting across to his team that "we cannot afford" to be taking stupid penalties if we want to win a game.
Maybe you get away with that crap against a lesser team, but KNOW who your opponent is......but shouldnt be tolerated regardless. Tony D. did literally the same thing, the prior game or whatever. Keeps happening, over an over. Gotta stop.

Reactions: NCRanger

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
They are in a different phase. They have had five first round picks in the past two years and I expect them to have at least three in the upcoming draft. Eight firsts in three drafts? I guess you could call that ‘making hay’.
Yes sir indeed, i guess they are!

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Wonder if the AVitis was too much for him. he hasn't been the same since that TDL
I think there is only "so much" anyone can blame the coach for, regardless of who is at the helm.
At some point, Smith (amongst others) needs to take a step back and realize what his capabilities are and "using your freaking head" or "keep your head in the game" is essential. Its still hockey and hes been playing it all his life......right?
Another case of K.I.S.S. A lot of that being said here lately.

Lets face it, we may have been taken. Signing him was a mistake, then compounded it by signing an injured Shatty. Neither one has given the Rangers anything CLOSE to what was expected. Contributing as little as possible, and yet actually HELPING in this rebuild by sucking eggs.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
How do you figure "voluntary"?

Also, when everyone is healthy and until trades:

Namestnikov - Zibanejad - Buchnevich
Kreider - Hayes - Chytil
Vesey - Howden - Zuke
Strome - Andersson - Fast
Mcleod, Beleskey, Nieves, Fogs

That's a VERY good depth for a team in rebuild.
Yes, for now. Big swing when Zuccha and Hayes are gone. 2 solid NHL players, replaced with the likes of Lias (more minutes) and maybe BOO? Great chance for him to get some time, in which we will finally figure out if he indeed becomes an NHLer or a career A man. That concussion was u warranted and really set him back.....hope he is okay now, althpugh its really a lingering thing and you're never really the same afterwards.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Oh God, I would in a heartbeat. Free from the getgo, but now......Trade him, get, get, get. And then get him back. What a steal, and Rangers win big time!

I expect the Rangers to take a center in the upcoming first round and re-signing Hayes, when you already have Zibanejad, a higher end center prospect, as well as Howden and Andersson is a waste of money and completely reduces any flexibility in paying or acquiring actual high end players. Re-signing Hayes tells me the goal is to just repeat the success of the last run. That’s not what I was led to believe would be the approach of this rebuild.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Why should the Lindbolm pick offset the picks of Kravtsov, Miller, Lundkvist and Keane? I don’t like taking a goalie before the fourth round, so I hate the concept of what the Rangers did. But, as for the player himself, if they view him as the goalie with the highest upside, then it fits in the approach they’ve taken in the past two drafts.
Yeah Jas, i remember stating the same months ago, about that pick......and someone came at me hard, thinking I was ridiculing the actual player (Lindblom), I dont even KNOW too much about him, honestly........has NOTHING to do with him as an individual......
It was the early "goaltender pick", that i felt we wasted there. Probably could have gotten him at a later pick......but if not, then someone else. ALLAIRE does wonders and we all know that.......eventually........ if he ever got the chance.
One point against me that was legit.......maybe someone who actually KNOWS the deal with Shesty, Halverson and the likes that we are insufficient in goalie area......and pick was essential.
They obviously know better than i do. Right?

GlasgowNewYorkRanger

Dec 7, 2017
Philosophical question: Was Jagr bad for the Rangers?

He had the best season in franchise history and ended the Dark Ages, but would the Rangers have been better off rebuilding and acquiring pieces that still would have been helping them from 2012-2015.

Then again, change the past and you change the future. Change the situation completely and the Rangers likely don't have Kreider, Stepan, McDonagh etc. Maybe we're nobodies from 2012-2015.

Something to think about.

I remember at the time just being so glad we had a player of Jagr's calibre after the torment we had just suffered through. A star player who didn't flop like so many others had done when coming to NY. This season may be tough to handle, but it is a cake walk when compared to the appalling mess we had to put up with when the league was at it's lowest.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad