Post-Game Talk: #27 | Capitals at Flyers | December 7, 2022 | 7:00 PM |

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Devon Levi was posting good numbers in college before the trade. He was Team Canada’s starting goalie in the WJC when they won Silver as well. He was not unknown to people who follow prospects. His status is no different today than it was at the time of the trade. He’s ultimately a goalie prospect & the unknown with a position dampers things for the main piece.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
giphy.webp

I guess the metrics were wrong last night too. Two straight “solid” games by the Flyers but the mean numbers say different.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018

He was asked by Meltzer, I believe, if he felt that asking them to be better defensively was potentially stifling attack. Charlie followed about opening up the system to allow for more chances. Tort's response was, "...we don't hold them back offensively. We just don't make enough plays."

Of course you don't make enough plays. Half of the roster either can't think or doesn't have enough skill. The lines are also not condusive for offensive production. I mean you have Cates centering Hayes and TK, two of your better offensive forwards, you have Farabee with Sedlak and Laughton - how the hell is Farabee supposed to produce with those guys? Your best offensive line last night (jvr-frost-tippett) played almost half as much as your first line, and your fourth line is flat out hopeless. You are also choosing to dress a cooked Braun, who even in his prime was at best below average offensively, over a puck moving damn like Zamula. You split up TDA and Sandy after they were showing offensive creativity together....

So yeah, your system might not be holding them back offensively, but your deployment certainly is.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
He was asked by Meltzer, I believe, if he felt that asking them to be better defensively was potentially stifling attack. Charlie followed about opening up the system to allow for more chances. Tort's response was, "...we don't hold them back offensively. We just don't make enough plays."

Of course you don't make enough plays. Half of the roster either can't think or doesn't have enough skill. The lines are also not condusive for offensive production. I mean you have Cates centering Hayes and TK, two of your better offensive forwards, you have Farabee with Sedlak and Laughton - how the hell is Farabee supposed to produce with those guys? Your best offensive line last night (jvr-frost-tippett) played almost half as much as your first line, and your fourth line is flat out hopeless. You are also choosing to dress a cooked Braun, who even in his prime was at best below average offensively, over a puck moving damn like Zamula. You split up TDA and Sandy after they were showing offensive creativity together....

So yeah, your system might not be holding them back offensively, but your deployment certainly is.

And lets hope he keeps it up so we get a Top 2 pick.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

Given Zamula was passing to the wrong team, and Braun has a much better sense when and how to pinch, I don't think playing Braun over Zamula has a big impact on scoring - Zamula is not an offensive force.

The problem with lines is that they simply lack centers, Frost is getting good wingers and still not producing, Cates is learning on the job, Sedlak is game but ideally would be an above average 4C, and Brown is, well, Brown.

Frost, last 10 games:
Tippett 85 minutes
Farabee 51 minutes
Bellows 29 minutes
MacEwen 18 minutes
Laughton 16 minutes
Deslauriers 15 minutes

Hard to play him with anyone else with TK and JVR out of the lineup.
During that period, xGF 40.31%, GF/GA 2/7.
Those are Thompson like numbers.

Cates is also struggling, xGF 40.09%, GF/GA 5/3.
MacEwen 65 minutes
Hayes 61 minutes
TK 34 minutes
Laughton 25 minutes
Farabee 15 minutes
Deslauriers 15 minutes
Tippett 13 minutes

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
It's not like Zamula is an offense force, he's not Makar jr.
And Braun and Risto have done a good job of keeping the puck in the O-zone, finishing is another matter.
But Zamula doesn't shoot like Attard either,

Point is that the Flyer offense woes are not due to Braun over Zamula. You'd have to have an agenda to even suggest that.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
It's not like Zamula is an offense force, he's not Makar jr.
And Braun and Risto have done a good job of keeping the puck in the O-zone, finishing is another matter.
But Zamula doesn't shoot like Attard either,

Point is that the Flyer offense woes are not due to Braun over Zamula. You'd have to have an agenda to even suggest that.
No shit it's not because of that but it does play a role. Just like all of those other times that you say "it doesn't matter" or "that's not the reason they're in the position they are."

Is this the move that's breaking the franchise's back? No but the combination of them all certainly is.

No one is calling Zamula an offensive force.

I'll ask an age old question, is it better to play a player that you know is shit or a player that might be shit but we don't know yet?

FYI, contrarianism is an agenda and it's not a pretty one.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
You are also choosing to dress a cooked Braun, who even in his prime was at best below average offensively, over a puck moving damn like Zamula.

There's really no reason for Seeler and Braun to play every game. With Risto I can maybe buy the idea that it looks bad to bench a $25,500,000 player, even though he really does suck. But with the two cheap old vets, one of them should sit every night to let Attard/York/Zamula play.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
There's really no reason for Seeler and Braun to play every game. With Risto I can maybe buy the idea that it looks bad to bench a $25,500,000 player, even though he really does suck. But with the two cheap old vets, one of them should sit every night to let Attard/York/Zamula play.

Anyone expecting anything else when Torts was hired is delusional.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Braun no, frankly while Sanheim as been our best defenseman, you can make a case for Seeler as #2.

Seeler - Risto, xGF 55.82%, GF/GA 6/3
Seeler - TDA, xGF 47.10%, GF/GA 1/1
Seeler - Zamula, xGF 41.99%, GF/GA 3/5
Seeler - Braun, xGF 39.57%, GF/GA 4/3

Sanheim has played his best with Braun.
Provorov hasn't played well with anyone this season.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Given Zamula was passing to the wrong team, and Braun has a much better sense when and how to pinch, I don't think playing Braun over Zamula has a big impact on scoring - Zamula is not an offensive force.

The problem with lines is that they simply lack centers, Frost is getting good wingers and still not producing, Cates is learning on the job, Sedlak is game but ideally would be an above average 4C, and Brown is, well, Brown.

Frost, last 10 games:
Tippett 85 minutes
Farabee 51 minutes
Bellows 29 minutes
MacEwen 18 minutes
Laughton 16 minutes
Deslauriers 15 minutes

MacEwen 65 minutes
Hayes 61 minutes
TK 34 minutes
Laughton 25 minutes
Farabee 15 minutes
Deslauriers 15 minutes
Tippett 13 minutes

crab-cherry.gif

Braun is cooked. I thought part of development was letting the kids play? That's what you said would happen. That a player like Braun would never block them because Tortorella would never allow it. How come you were wrong?

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018

Frost, last 10 games:
Tippett 85 minutes
Farabee 51 minutes
Bellows 29 minutes
MacEwen 18 minutes
Laughton 16 minutes
Deslauriers 15 minutes

MacEwen 65 minutes
Hayes 61 minutes
TK 34 minutes
Laughton 25 minutes
Farabee 15 minutes
Deslauriers 15 minutes
Tippett 13 minutes
Dude - everyone is struggling offensively, it's not just Frost or Cates. That was the point of my post. The team is 30/32 for xGF at 5v5 since Nov 19 which encompasses the last 10 games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad