Post-Game Talk: #27: Blue Jackets at Flyers, December 5, 2015

Bernie Parent 1974

Sep 29, 2009
whatever the term / scenario / designation ...... in my view, theres no way they should have tinkered with the winning lineup

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
I didn't like sending Cousins down, anyone sight Laughton at all?

Manning, Schultz, L Schenn, does it matter?
The sooner all three are gone, the better.
Manning at least is a low cost 7th D-man if you can't move him, the others are just wasted cap room.
cousins is way better than Laughton. Bad lineup moves as umby should never play again.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
What? How is our worst defenseman the least of our worries?

We've got some forwards to worry about, but him and Schultz are our biggest worries on the backend IMO.
I know but last night forwards stopped working hard on the back check and it made them all look worse. I don't like much on this team but I'll blame the top players for the flat game last night first.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
This team get's out-worked by mediocre teams on a regular basis. Hextall needs to add a couple of Vets with character to support Giroux leading this team by example.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
The Jackets have the Flyers number going back a couple of years now. The loss wasn't because the 4th line changed.

Delete99991

May 9, 2013
Back on the Manning thing - I roll my eyes at boxcar like everyone else, but the eye test says (and stats arguably confirm) that Manning has been better than L Schenn and Schultz lately.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
i dont get it.

if they are that cash poor, release someone ... no way they should have changed a thing while they were winning ...

Frustrating cap situation. Things are not helped by schenn and streit out. I really liked the line with cousins on it. He should have stayed. Looking forward to the deadline and off loading some cap.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
cousins is way better than Laughton. Bad lineup moves as umby should never play again.

Umberger is not a good player. Is the plan still to buy him out this offseason?

Why is Laughton given more of a chance than cousins? Both can be good but cousins is obviously disfavored this year and the last.

bb12

Aug 21, 2014
USA
Umberger is not a good player. Is the plan still to buy him out this offseason?

Why is Laughton given more of a chance than cousins? Both can be good but cousins is obviously disfavored this year and the last.

I wouldn't give Laughton too much "chance"'seeing as he spends most of the year on bench. Yes we had a nice little run but it comes from finally getting the new system and better puck moving d. If we had the lineup from the beginning of the year with the addition of ghost and cousins and Mac d. We'd be better.

Laughton - g - Jake
Schenn - coots - simmer
Raffl - cousins - read
macdonald - Peb - white

Streit - medvedev
Mdz - gudas
Ghost - Schenn

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Hakstols handling of Laughton and Cousins has not been good.

Hope this isnt a sign of things to come for future young players.

Ghost he has handled well at least.

bb12

Aug 21, 2014
USA
Hakstols handling of Laughton and Cousins has not been good.

Hope this isnt a sign of things to come for future young players.

Ghost he has handled well at least.

Kinda hard to handle him wrong haha. He is TOO good to not play. Laughton isn't quite stand out like ghost but I absolutely agree. These kids are major motivators for our so so core. Gotta give cousins and Laughton a lot more opportunity

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
Kinda hard to handle him wrong haha. He is TOO good to not play. Laughton isn't quite stand out like ghost but I absolutely agree. These kids are major motivators for our so so core. Gotta give cousins and Laughton a lot more opportunity
or he could not, and just bring them along slowly.

Ghost is being sheltered big time 5v5.

None of us are in the practices, so we dont know what our young guys are doing or not doing.

Patience.

bb12

Aug 21, 2014
USA
or he could not, and just bring them along slowly.

Ghost is being sheltered big time 5v5.

None of us are in the practices, so we dont know what our young guys are doing or not doing.

Patience.

I am all for patience but after a while these guys need to start getting phased in. I guess it's hard to accept Laughton is only 21 since it feels like he has been around for a while.

That's why in this injury situation, it's for one game Hagg should be the guy. Morin is higher on the depth chart but Is still learning the pro game. Hagg has been there and should get a small taste

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I am all for patience but after a while these guys need to start getting phased in. I guess it's hard to accept Laughton is only 21 since it feels like he has been around for a while.

That's why in this injury situation, it's for one game Hagg should be the guy. Morin is higher on the depth chart but Is still learning the pro game. Hagg has been there and should get a small taste
If it's just one game I would think they'll recall Alt or Drewiske for the 8 minute cameo.

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
I am all for patience but after a while these guys need to start getting phased in.
Umm that is exactly what they are doing. Phasing him in. Low minutes.

If he was a 3 year vet with these minutes, then yes be concerned and wonder what the coach is doing.

Delete99991

May 9, 2013
Laughton didn't have a good year in the AHL last year, and he hasn't proven himself with the big club yet.

I'd send him down and tell him he has to produce consistently.

Get whatever mileage they can from Umberger and give Cousins an extended look.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Laughton didn't have a good year in the AHL last year

That's not true. He got called up to the Flyers in November because he was playing so well in the AHL. The only time he struggled in the AHL was when he was coming back from his concussion.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
They're not going to only carry 6D on the team for two weeks, especially when they are going on a road trip to the midwest.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad