Post-Game Talk: #27 - 03/15/2021 | Rangers vs Flyers | 7:00 PM EST - NBCSN, MSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
He’s just a different caliber of player than what we normally have for our goaltenders. It is what it is with him. Obviously, we’ve been spoiled with some pretty good netminders over the last 15 years.

The scary thing is that we've been "goalie spoiled" even longer than that. Outside of an outlier/transition year here and there, this team has had phenomenal goaltending for at least the last 35 or 36 years (it may go back even further--I just don't go back any further than that, haha). I mean, starting in the mid-80s, we went Vanbiesbrouck to Richter to Lundqvist to now Shesterkin. There were a couple of Mike Dunham seasons that were nothing special in there, but for the most part the team had a keeper who could threaten for the Vezina in any given year AND we had a parade of rock solid backups, many of whom went on to be starters elsewhere (Healy, Cloutier, Labarbara, Biron, Vally, Talbot, Raanta). I can't think of a team that has had more consistent goaltending talent over that span.

Reactions: Unpredictable1

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
They must have watched a lot of PK Subban Hab video to be that good at it . Circling is the easy part...getting a shot on net is the hard part !
Actually, it looked like they had a "plan".

Tire out their players ........check
Bore them to death.........check
Do the circle jerk........check

What they didnt do...........is eventually take advantage and take the puck to the net.
Almost seemed like they were trying to run out the clock, and wanting to go to a shootout.

Reactions: Off Sides

1200ftalt

Apr 30, 2014
He'd make a perfect HF board "fan". Except he got himself put on permanent ignore. Actions have consequences. And you over-simplify his transgressions.
What Transgressions are you talking about? He didn’t fail a drug test or hit a women in a elevator or be cruel to dogs, he hurt the coaches and goalies feelings. These are suppose to be professional athletes, if they fight in the locker room THATS ok . I hope I didn’t just hurt you feelings, I probably did...

Reactions: Buchnevich89

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
By the way reunanen looked solid yesterday. Of course he played a whole minute and a half in the third period. But in his limited time he was good

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
By the way reunanen looked solid yesterday. Of course he played a whole minute and a half in the third period. But in his limited time he was good
Didn't look out of place. Needs to build up his size and skating, but that's a lot easier than teaching positioning at his age.

I wish he would get a look on the PP. Fine with him playing sheltered minutes, but no reason not to play him on that PP#2 instead of Miller at this point. Hell, I'd put him over Trouba into #1.

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
What Transgressions are you talking about? He didn’t fail a drug test or hit a women in a elevator or be cruel to dogs, he hurt the coaches and goalies feelings. These are suppose to be professional athletes, if they fight in the locker room THATS ok . I hope I didn’t just hurt you feelings, I probably did...

So many DeAngelo burner accounts, I mean sympathizers, coming out of the woodworks the last couple of weeks. Another for the ignore list!

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
Kakko and Laf's biggest issue in my mind right now is that they are too slow for today's NHL. They need to get a helluva lot faster. They have the skills, but if every time they have the puck, they get rubbed off immediately because they aren't fast skaters, there's nothing they can do with it.
I said this before, but I think it needs repeating. Before entering the NHL, one of their strengths that made them stand out, was how strong they both were on the puck. But now, the players are bigger, stronger and faster. And that strength they had,... is now neutralized. They are getting shoved around for the first time in their lives. And as a result their confidence has waned. They no longer can bounce off their defenders, keep the puck and make that special play. But they are still very young and will get stronger. That asset of being strong on the puck will return. You are seeing it some in Kakko's second year. It justs takes some time for them to grow and develop physically. And with that growth they will also skate faster. Kakko has actually been more effective on the forecheck this year. Better stick, and quicker closing the gap. That has been a big improvement. His endurance has improved also. Last year he was always the first linemate to raise his hand/stick to get off the ice. Not so this year. I have seen a few shifts where he was the last off the ice. These are all subtle improvements that will help him gain confidence. Sometimes scoring is the last thing young players need to work on. If the skilled players improve on all the little things within the game, scoring will be a result of those efforts.

Last edited:

Waivers

Sep 27, 2013
NY
I remember when Buch was effortlessly being rubbed off pucks left and right 2.5 years ago and seemed like he could never win a body battle. Never threw a hit. Look at him now and that’s hardly the case. The same can and will be said for Laf and Kakko in the not-so-distant future.

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
You can minimize it all you want, but there is apparently enough history to justify their move. Also, I don't see any other team knocking down their doors to acquire your paragon of virtue. And no, my feelings aren't hurt.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
What he have 3 or 4 botched pinches?
At least. He also has given away the puck egregiously a few times the last couple of weeks. There was a really bad one that comes to mind just after the Rangers tied in the 2nd period last night.

Reactions: Cmox

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Actually, it looked like they had a "plan".

Tire out their players ........check
Bore them to death.........check
Do the circle jerk........check

What they didnt do...........is eventually take advantage and take the puck to the net.
Almost seemed like they were trying to run out the clock, and wanting to go to a shootout.
No going in the corners , crease or checking in the SO.

Reactions: bl02

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I think they are both a bit younger than Hayes was as a rookie. Hayes is 6'5" 215 lbs. He was man size entering the league. Whereas you can see Laff and Kakko getting pushed around as teenagers. When that was one of their strengths before entering this league. Strong on their skates. I do see improvement in that regard with Kakko in his second season, but Laff is having rookie growing pains. They will improve with age. You are seeing that some in Kakko already. He is much improved over last year. He's just missing that scoring touch. And as much as I would like to see that Today, his overall game improvement has been coming along. Kakko is much better with his stick breaking up plays, getting in quicker on the forecheck, stronger on the puck in tight areas, winning more battles along the boards, etc.... You didn't see any of that last year as a 19 yr old. Laff will have a similar improvement. Just give them time to grow. Kakko is only 20. Hayes was 22 in his rookie season.
This is all completely besides the point.

And BTW, Chytil isn't exactly lighting up the scoreboard either. Him and Kakko had identical points last year.
Chytil’s pace right now is 44 points over 82 games. And his play on the ice has a significant positive effect on the tan even when he’s not score. Chytil makes lemonade.

Buchnevich, too, scored 20 points in 41 games his rookie year.

Last edited:

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Like, Kakko and Lafreniere have spent the majority of their NHL careers so far in a top-six, and, yeah, while they don’t play on our awesome PP1, they still play 5v4 every night.

Sick of reading about all these ideal conditions for these two players like they’re some kind of rare plant that only grows on the shady side of a hill between 68*F-69*F with 1 inch annually of 7.0 pH drizzle.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad