Player Discussion Sam Reinhart - Is he the real deal?

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
He is a quality top 6 forward who excels with elite players. Without that he is a 50-55 point guy. Guentzels new deal sets the benchmark for Sam. 6 mil max. Not paying 7+ mil for a forward who is not a 30+ goal guy or can drive their own line. Sam has never shown he can drive a successful top 6 line. He is a 4th or 5th best forward on a cup contender.

Waterfowlist

Aug 9, 2012
He is a quality top 6 forward who excels with elite players. Without that he is a 50-55 point guy. Guentzels new deal sets the benchmark for Sam. 6 mil max. Not paying 7+ mil for a forward who is not a 30+ goal guy or can drive their own line. Sam has never shown he can drive a successful top 6 line. He is a 4th or 5th best forward on a cup contender.
There is no way his next contract is less than 7.5.

7.5 million, after next season, is not that much money for a very good top 6 forward.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
He's not riding coattails, but he's the third most important player on the line. I'd really like to see him get time at centre, or a chance to carry the 2nd or 3rd line as a winger.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
He’s a great, smart passer. Sees the play before it happens so he can dish passes quick. No speed to write home about and no shot either. Will always be a complimentary piece that will have a career mimicking Pominville except with a pass instead of a shot. I hope he gets a complimentary salary. 6-6.5 per for max term would be great. This is a goal scorers jersey selling league and he just doesn’t do that.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Saying he's riding coattails is doing him a disservice. He's a very good player in his own right. He'll never drive his own line, but he'll be an elite-level complementary player if he isn't one right now.

He certainly isn't worth as much as Skinner, but I don't think he's more than a million or 1.5 mil AAV behind.

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo
Pretty sure he made about 40 good plays tonight. It seemed like every shift he did at least one thing that was subtlely impressive.

I don’t really get the question. Everybody knows he’s a good player at this point. Points vary depending on talent on your line/usage.

Reactions: dire wolf

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I am pleasantly surprised at all the positive comments.

What changed (if anything) from last year?

sincerity0

Dec 23, 2016
“Riding their coattails” is really an insult to Sam. Yes, he’s the third best player on that line. Many of the goals the line has generated where Reinhart doesn’t get a point are plays where he drove the puck up ice with a perfect pass.

Do I wish he drove play a bit more as a former #2 pick? Of course. Reinhart is a legit player who thrives best setting up for or complimenting other players. It’s no surprise any player that has played meaningful minutes with Sam has saw an up tick in points, corsi, etc.

Duddy

Everyday is
Dec 24, 2005
If a player sees his points etc tick up any time he plays with Sam, wouldn't that mean he is a line driver?

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
If a player sees his points etc tick up any time he plays with Sam, wouldn't that mean he is a line driver?

Reinhart is the victim of the eye test.

He isn't the explosive athlete that Eichel is.

He isn't an amazing skater like Skinner.

He is just quietly effective despite having no flashy skills that make eyeballs pop out of heads.

I suspect that he will continue to be underrated because he lacks sizzle.

Reactions: Eichittelharthlin

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
He’s a straw that stirs the drink on lines. No offense to any straws. Not every player needs to be fast to be effective. Not every player needs to have dipsy doodles to be effective. I can think of many players who had terrific careers without having those attributes. Once a naysayer can get over the fact Reinhart won’t be what they think a 2nd overall pick should be, they can appreciate the subtle and effective way he plays the game and highly effective most nights.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
He’s a straw that stirs the drink on lines. No offense to any straws. Not every player needs to be fast to be effective. Not every player needs to have dipsy doodles to be effective. I can think of many players who had terrific careers without having those attributes. Once a naysayer can get over the fact Reinhart won’t be what they think a 2nd overall pick should be, they can appreciate the subtle and effective way he plays the game and highly effective most nights.
If being a first line forward is not good enough from a 2nd overall pick someone needs to adjust their expectations.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
A 'line driver' has their production relatively stable regardless of linemates, i.e. Eichel. Yes, we want him to be 1.3 PPG with better linemates, but he's a PPG player even if you stapled Nolan to his hip.

A complimentary player just amplifies each line they're on, but the mean of their production is still very dependent on who they play with. e.g. the excuses for Reinhart's pitiful production the first half of last season, centering a 3rd line, etc.

You want both, but if we're talking contract value, it's skewed towards the former type of player.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Reinhart is the victim of the eye test.

He isn't the explosive athlete that Eichel is.

He isn't an amazing skater like Skinner.

He is just quietly effective despite having no flashy skills that make eyeballs pop out of heads.

I suspect that he will continue to be underrated because he lacks sizzle.

If you have played high level hockey or really know pro hockey well, Reinhart is extremely noticeable. Like distractingly so.

If your just a rando fan you can’t get past the idea that he is average physically, yet still is an excellent player.

One would think they would be impressed that a physical nobody can be an excellent nhler.

A 'line driver' has their production relatively stable regardless of linemates, i.e. Eichel. Yes, we want him to be 1.3 PPG with better linemates, but he's a PPG player even if you stapled Nolan to his hip.

A complimentary player just amplifies each line they're on, but the mean of their production is still very dependent on who they play with. e.g. the excuses for Reinhart's pitiful production the first half of last season, centering a 3rd line, etc.

You want both, but if we're talking contract value, it's skewed towards the former type of player.

Eichel is ppg with Nolan at his hip?

Yet he wasn’t a ppg in any of his first three years and he always got to play with the best wingers we had, either Kane or Reinhart or both.

So, there’s that.

Reactions: Jim Bob

Doohickie

Ft Worth (from Bflo)
Feb 16, 2013
Reino is what he is. He's a difference maker, he plays well, but doesn't have the level of talent to impose his will on a game like Jack or Skinner can. The New Jersey game is a prime example: At times he did look dominant, but his stat line was no goals, no assists.

He's a smart, complementary piece that can be used to build a line. On this team (and most other teams) he's clearly a top 6 forward.

Revelate

Apr 10, 2011
Reino is what he is. He's a difference maker, he plays well, but doesn't have the level of talent to impose his will on a game like Jack or Skinner can. The New Jersey game is a prime example: At times he did look dominant, but his stat line was no goals, no assists.

He's a smart, complementary piece that can be used to build a line. On this team (and most other teams) he's clearly a top 6 forward.

What you’re really saying is he’s not a natural goal scorer which is true. But he certainly imposed himself on the game. He dominated possessions and set up Rodrigues and Sheary in the slot more than three times. It’s not his problem they can’t finish.

Last edited:

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada

He's not a top 6 forward, he's clearly a first liner in the NHL. Is he an elite winger? nope but he's a first liner no question.

May 2, 2005
Niagara Falls
In todays NHL there is no way to put up a Ppg and not be a first line player.

The only thing holding him back from being a star though is not having any shot that is quality.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
Eichel is ppg with Nolan at his hip?

Yet he wasn’t a ppg in any of his first three years and he always got to play with the best wingers we had, either Kane or Reinhart or both.

So, there’s that.

ROR had Reinhart for the majority of the time, not Eichel. Kane was a detriment. I'm sorry that calling me out for averaging 0.97PPG to 1 is the best counter you can come up with. Pominville is a PPG player while playing with Eichel. Pominville's corsi goes up 10% while with Reinhart. There's a difference there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad