Player Discussion Sam Reinhart - Is he the real deal?

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
What your really saying is he’s not a natural goal scorer which is true. But he certainly imposed himself on the game. He dominated possessions and set up Rodrigues and Sheary in the slot more than three times. It’s not his problem they can’t finish.

I agree about the natural goal scorer angle. Which surprises me that ppl get miffed about him. If anything the fact that he pays the price to consistently score 20 goals a year is impressive.

I’m pretty sure the guy could go ppg for the next 5 years, win a Byng and be a huge contributor to a Cup run and the usual suspects will still say he is a bum.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
In todays NHL there is no way to put up a Ppg and not be a first line player.

The only thing holding him back from being a star though is not having any shot that is quality.

His shot is fine, the issue is that he's not in position on the ice to use it often enough. He can improve on the release speed of his shot, but it's already NHL quality. I personally would love to see Reinhart less on the boards and more in the middle of the ice to utilize his vision more.

To add onto that, It's criminal that they are not using Sam in Eichel's spot on the PP, let alone not allowing the puck go through him more often. It's not surprising given the coaching staff, but it still sucks to not have the guy that is 2nd on the team in assists not having the puck go through him more with our best passer out. Instead you have guys like E-Rod, Tage, and Risto making the decisions on the PP.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Doohickie

Ft Worth (from Bflo)
Feb 16, 2013
It’s not his problem they can’t finish.

True.

The box score from the NJ game is interesting: 14 players registered a point; not a single player had 2 or more points. Out of the forwards who didn't get a point, Girgensons and Pommer weren't surprising, but the fact that Reino had no points shocked me.

Also of note was that every forward was either 0 or +1 in the +/- except for Rodrigues who was +2. All the D were 0, +1 or +2 as well. Not a single player was a minus on the evening.

dasaybz

da saybz
Aug 2, 2005
His shot is fine, the issue is that he's not in position on the ice to use it often enough. He can improve on the release speed of his shot, but it's already NHL quality. I personally would love to see Reinhart less on the boards and more in the middle of the ice to utilize his vision more.

To add onto that, It's criminal that they are not using Sam in Eichel's spot on the PP, let alone not allowing the puck go through him more often. It's not surprising given the coaching staff, but it still sucks to not have the guy that is 2nd on the team in assists not having the puck go through him more with our best passer out. Instead you have guys like E-Rod, Tage, and Risto making the decisions on the PP.
I totally disagree, his shot is bad. When is the last time he sniped anything?

That being said, his IQ and his passing skills are elite. It's quite an unusual combination of having that great passing ability and being a plug in front of the net.

Love me some Sam, but he really needs to get bigger and stronger still.

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
Reino is what he is. He's a difference maker, he plays well, but doesn't have the level of talent to impose his will on a game like Jack or Skinner can. The New Jersey game is a prime example: At times he did look dominant, but his stat line was no goals, no assists.

He's a smart, complementary piece that can be used to build a line. On this team (and most other teams) he's clearly a top 6 forward.
I think he did well yesterday.
Could have had 2 assists easily from the passes he dished out from behind the net.
A perfect example that you can make elite plays and have nothing to show for it because you play with guys who cant finish most of the time.

I am very impressed with his puck retrieval skills in the ozone.
He also screened the goalie on Piluts tally.

Reactions: Doohickie

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
Reinhart can score goals. He has a quick shot release, but he doesn't really get the chance to take shots. He is a playmaker. One of the reasons he is so effective with Eichel and Skinner is the fact that he can thread the needle and make some impressive passes that lead to quality scoring chances for the big duo.

Last night sam played with a less skilled player in Erod and Sheary - setting both of them up for what should have been guaranteed goals (kinkaid deserves credit for those robberies). Sam often drives the play and generates chances for other players and i am fine with that.

May 2, 2005
Niagara Falls

I can't agree on the shot. He has throughout the seasons had numerous slot opportunities for a shot but he never scores. His shot is average as is his accuracy.

Sabretooth

May 14, 2013
Ohio
His shot is fine

IDK, wasn't it a year or 2 ago in that sabres challenge skills competition bracket thing, Sam had one of the fastest slap shots of the players participating? I think the perception of Sam having a poor shot is a combination of him not really being a "find the open ice for 1 timers" style of player, and that it seems like most of his shots are rushed (in the sense that he's trying to get the shot off so quickly he seems to sacrifice velocity and/or accuracy). He does seem to keep missing a frustratingly high number of seemingly wide open chances.

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
If Sam didn't spend a lot of his time in his office behind the net, he'd score more. The fact is that he's more effective in creating offense from back there though, so a set-up man he remains.
Which is exactly why i wouldn't mind putting Reino back with Sheary and/or any other struggling top 6 forward. Reino is rolling in his own way, so lets see who else he can spark. If it doesn't work, just put him back with Skinner, Eichel, or both.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010

That being said, his IQ and his passing skills are elite. It's quite an unusual combination of having that great passing ability and being a plug in front of the net.

Love me some Sam, but he really needs to get bigger and stronger still.

When's the last time he was in position to snipe a goal? When's the last time he took a shot that wasn't within 5 feet of the crease?

dasaybz

da saybz
Aug 2, 2005
When's the last time he was in position to snipe a goal? When's the last time he took a shot that wasn't within 5 feet of the crease?
He took a shot last night from about the faceoff dot, and it had nothing on it and it was an easy stop. I just think he's always thinking pass first and being a playmaker, and I'm OK with that. I do see where you're coming from though. He just doesn't get to those snipe areas regularly, and when he does, he really should shoot more often.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
He took a shot last night from about the faceoff dot, and it had nothing on it and it was an easy stop. I just think he's always thinking pass first and being a playmaker, and I'm OK with that. I do see where you're coming from though. He just doesn't get to those snipe areas regularly, and when he does, he really should shoot more often.

Agree with all this.

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES
Maybe it’s too late to develop another skill. But if he could literally just focus on a quicker step, his shot, or maybe even becoming a complete pest to play against in his D zone he could really become a top piece on a contender. He already basically is but it’d be nice to get one or two of those 3 as close to his ceiling as he can get it.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Maybe it’s too late to develop another skill. But if he could literally just focus on a quicker step, his shot, or maybe even becoming a complete pest to play against in his D zone he could really become a top piece on a contender. He already basically is but it’d be nice to get one or two of those 3 as close to his ceiling as he can get it.

I'm assuming when you say pest in this context, you mean a pain to play against for the other team in the way he is really good defensively, right? Pest, especially in hockey can mean many things. One he can probably accomplish, the other, he's just not that type of personality and player.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
There is no way his next contract is less than 7.5.

7.5 million, after next season, is not that much money for a very good top 6 forward.

Sam is not getting 7.5 mil from Buffalo. Not giving a guy who is clearly the 3rd best forward on his line star player money. He is on pace for under 20 goals this year. Guentzel set the market. JG matches up perfectly to Sam comparable wise.

Sam will likely end up with 20-25g and 65-70ps. And his line mates are going to have 90+ points and the other ~50 goals. If Sam was able to produce that much being the driver of his own line sure. But no, not paying 7.5 for him to be carried by double Js.

Reactions: VaporTrail

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada

With the way the sticks are now the easiest way to improve his release it to get a higher kickpoint low flex >75 and a curve to boot. Unfortunately, it would probably not help his passing.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Sam is not getting 7.5 mil from Buffalo. Not giving a guy who is clearly the 3rd best forward on his line star player money. He is on pace for under 20 goals this year. Guentzel set the market. JG matches up perfectly to Sam comparable wise.

Sam will likely end up with 20-25g and 65-70ps. And his line mates are going to have 90+ points and the other ~50 goals. If Sam was able to produce that much being the driver of his own line sure. But no, not paying 7.5 for him to be carried by double Js.

Bet time, I say Reinhart will get 7.5 or more per year on his next contract. You win if it’s under 7.5.

If I win you are not allowed to complain about Reinhart for any reason for the length of the contract.

Feel free to name your prize for winning, I accept.

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm
I agree with all the positives and add that he is a very unique elite passer as he sees things developing before those around him, many of his moves and passes are best viewed and appreciated on tape, up close. But.. he is weak on the puck and has similar problems casey has.. that they are both improving their turnover machine status when stickhanfling/zone entries.. They need Jacks trainer and chef. They will both improve around the team..

Waterfowlist

Aug 9, 2012

I 100% agree with you the Jake Geuntzel set the market. The problem is that you forget JG was a 40 point RFA with no arbitration rights. He still got 6 million!

If Reinhart hits 70-75 points this year and next year, why would he sign anything less than 7.5 million? If they won’t give it to him, he can go to arbitration and point to the scoreboard. Pretty sure the arbiter doesn’t say “but you played with good play.”

He is one of the few players on this team that goes to the net and pays a price. It is amazing how that non-flashy style gets crapped on around here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->