25 Years Ago Today (October 21, 1995): Rejean Houle & Mario Tremblay Were Hired

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Yeah we never been the same after that move, the worst part is that there was no rush to make any change.
Yeah back then the team started 0-4 , so what ... it's not a big deal when your last Stanley cup was 18 months ago. We got rid of our last good GM who gave us 2 cups in 9 years. Many owners would give away their first born child to get their hand on a GM who could give them 2 cups in 9 years.

in retrospective maybe a coaching change would have been the right move , but no way a GM change too.
We were problably one player away from another cup, we were stacked at center , good defense too and Roy was there.

It made no sence to make a GM change back then and years later it's still a bad move.

Serge Savard was a momument for our team and we come come across people like him everyday.
Again there was ZERO reason to fired him ZERO !!

It was an 0-5 start after missing the playoffs the year before.

They were already on a short leash because the Habs missed the playoffs back when it never used to happen.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Seriously what kind of Halloween scare did you jusy give me bro, with a title like that.

Pretty much. It killed what the Habs used be forever.

------------

That being said, while Tremblay acted like someone that lacked experience, Serge Savard revealed later that he indeed was thinking about hiring Tremblay as coach and he had a planned a trade between the Nords and Habs Owen Nolan and Stephane Fiset for Roy. The difference is, if Savard had hired Tremblay and there would have been a problem with Roy, Savard was a figure of respect and wisdom and was intimidating like an old school dad and would have calmed things down and solve the issue, bringing all parties together and we would have forgotten everything the next day. Houle didn't have the experience and poised to do that. He didn't know how to resolve it other than a

If Savard had a newly hired coach, and was already trying to trade Roy, it would simply reinforce that Roy had to go.

The result would have been the same in that the coach would remain and the player would be dealt, but I wonder what the return could have been if Savard was driving the wheel. In this hypothetical situation, that Nolan deal would have been off the table because he had already been traded by the avs.

Seriously what kind of Halloween scare did you jusy give me bro, with a title like that.

Pretty much. It killed what the Habs used be forever.

------------

That being said, while Tremblay acted like someone that lacked experience, Serge Savard revealed later that he indeed was thinking about hiring Tremblay as coach and he had a planned a trade between the Nords and Habs Owen Nolan and Stephane Fiset for Roy. The difference is, if Savard had hired Tremblay and there would have been a problem with Roy, Savard was a figure of respect and wisdom and was intimidating like an old school dad and would have calmed things down and solve the issue, bringing all parties together and we would have forgotten everything the next day. Houle didn't have the experience and poised to do that. He didn't know how to resolve it other than a

If Savard had a newly hired coach, and was already trying to trade Roy, it would simply reinforce that Roy had to go.

The result would have been the same in that the coach would remain and the player would be dealt, but I wonder what the return could have been if Savard was driving the wheel. In this hypothetical situation, that Nolan deal would have been off the table because he had already been traded by the avs

Jul 6, 2016
When they make a deal like that they tell the medias they wanted to accommodate the player (yes I've heard that at the time by Houle), yeah yeah ok, but how about the TEAM and the Fans? They are not important ??
Wtf !!
Ronald Corey panicked big time and demanded Houle to make a deal, whatever he could get quickly. They could easily had waited 2-3 weeks and get the best deal they could.

The result would have been the same in that the coach would remain and the player would be dealt, but I wonder what the return could have been if Savard was driving the wheel. In this hypothetical situation, that Nolan deal would have been off the table because he had already been traded by the avs.

The result would have been the same in that the coach would remain and the player would be dealt, but I wonder what the return could have been if Savard was driving the wheel. In this hypothetical situation, that Nolan deal would have been off the table because he had already been traded by the avs
Savard wanted Nolan and Fiset.

It was an 0-5 start after missing the playoffs the year before.

They were already on a short leash because the Habs missed the playoffs back when it never used to happen.
Was it the season that was shortened because of a strike or lockout ?

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Ronald Corey panicked big time and demanded Houle to make a deal, whatever he could get quickly. They could easily had waited 2-3 weeks and get the best deal they could.

Savard wanted Nolan and Fiset.

Was it the season that was shortened because of a strike or lockout ?

Yes, it was a 48 game season, and it was very strange. The Habs had one of the best home records, but they had a very lousy road record, and missed the playoffs.

It might have been the worst road record in the league, but I do remember it being a huge talking point back then.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
FWIW, I always felt that moment in itself was a bit blown out of proportion. Trading Damphousse et Turgeon for next to nothing the season after that was the true point of no return for me.

From what I recall, damphousse was having a bad year, and it was an expiring contract. They got a first rounder for him. I think that pick became Marcel Hossa who didn't work out for the Habs, but the trade for a first rounder didn't seem too far off considering the circumstances.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
From what I recall, damphousse was having a bad year, and it was an expiring contract. They got a first rounder for him. I think that pick became Marcel Hossa who didn't work out for the Habs, but the trade for a first rounder didn't seem too far off considering the circumstances.
A first and a second I seem to remember. The issue wasnt the return in itself but the fact that it amounted to nothing in the end. It was a net lost in both case.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
A first and a second I seem to remember. The issue wasnt the return in itself but the fact that it amounted to nothing in the end. It was a net lost in both case.
Ahh, good memory.

It was damphousse for a 1st (hossa), 2nd (mcleod) and 5th (thinel).

I don't even remember any thing about McLeod.

Reactions: Pompeius Magnus

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
I feel bad for Pierre Turgeon. Especially after seeing him get inducted into the Hall of Fame this year.

Imagine if the current Hab team could acquire a 25 year old Center who was a former 1st overall pick and who just recently put up 134 points and has the leadership skills to be our team captain and handle the pressure of Montreal - only to turn around and trade him after 1 season where he put up 96 points. Some of us have been waiting a lifetime to see a Franchise Center like that play for Montreal. Peanut gets ridiculed for the Roy trade but Turgeon was a nightmare as well

I know right? A real skilled number one center and for those that like that, a frenchy to boot. That's a dream come true right there. Quite a team demolition by Peanut.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham

We sure wouldn't have gotten f***ing Thibault! lol It would have been unfortunate for the Habs that yea Nolan was traded in October while Roy was traded in December so they lost him by a hair. I wonder who would have been his targets.

I think something around Adam Deadmarsh, Claude Lemieux, Uwe Krupp and Stephane Fiset is what I would have asked.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
I watched Mario Tremblay play many games as a Hab and unfortunately this moment is what I'll always remember about him now and for nothing he did as a Habs player. I still vividly remember that game like it happened just last night. :(

b9d9ff91e3297d3e97387aa029a67a49.jpg

a0fe3b2b71fef35286acd8270a60c017.jpg

I was sitting directly across the rink and was watching it all. I said to my cousin, holy cow, Roy just mouthed off at Tremblay, OMG he mouthed off at Corey, this is bad.

Yeah , " this is bad" talk about an understatement.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
We sure wouldn't have gotten f***ing Thibault! lol It would have been unfortunate for the Habs that yea Nolan was traded in October while Roy was traded in December so they lost him by a hair. I wonder who would have been his targets.

I think something around Adam Deadmarsh, Claude Lemieux, Uwe Krupp and Stephane Fiset is what I would have asked
Savard was never bringing lemieux back. Nolan was only a few years removed from being a 1st overall pick and his upside was very large at the time. Deadmarsh and Krupp were solid nhlers but they didn't have that same upside.

Thibault was 20 years old at the time, and was the top goalie selected in his draft, but he came into an impossible situation...... at least he returned to the Habs Jeff Hackett who was one of of the few bright spots in those dark late 90s.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Savard was never bringing lemieux back. Nolan was only a few years removed from being a 1st overall pick and his upside was very large at the time. Deadmarsh and Krupp were solid nhlers but they didn't have that same upside.

Thibault was 20 years old at the time, and was the top goalie selected in his draft, but he came into an impossible situation...... at least he returned to the Habs Jeff Hackett who was one of of the few bright spots in those dark late 90s.

We don't know the situation and how Serge viewed Lemieux during that time period. He was now a proven winner that had won cups with New Jersey. He had become a true pro. It would have been unreal to aquire him and infuse the Habs line-up with a new energy. You lose a winner(Roy) and you gain another one(Lemieux).

Of course Deadmarsh and Krupp didn't have the same upside than Nolan but Nolan was gone. Deadmarsh would been damn great for us. A solid point-makers who could be gritty as well. And Krupp would have done good to solifdiy our D core.

Thibault I was never impressed with. I would never have been interested in him. He looked like a child on the ice, always coming off like he would take off to the moon everytime a puck would touch him.

If the Habs lose Roy and Keane but gain Deadmarsh, Krupp, Lemieux, Fiset. And we keep Pierre Turgeon(cause Savard would have never traded Turgeon). And we still have Damphousse and Koivu. I think we would have had a damn good club. Not great in goal but Theodore would come in just a few years later.

That being said the Thibault for Hackett trade was great. One of the few good coups by Houle.

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
I'm kind of glad I wasn't at that game. Bad enough watching it on tv
I have the sports news (nouvelles du sport by Pierre Dufault) of the incident at the end of a cassette somewhere. The tone of Dufault when he describe it is serious, like kindda he knew something major happened. For Habs fans at the time it can be compared to when JFK was killed or Sept 01.

Elvis P

Everybody on the whole cell block
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Some historical Habs I like are:
  1. Jean Beliveau, C
  2. Patrick Roy, G
  3. Doug Harvey, D
  4. Maurice Richard, RW
  5. Howie Morenz, C
  6. Jacques Plante, G
  7. Guy LaFleur, RW