Now 28 years, a Saturday night. What a surprise that telecast was

Attachments

• 20231202_192553.jpg
    20231202_192553.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 4
Reactions: Runner77

MagicalDeck

Mar 17, 2006
I used to love Mario's in-game analysis on TV before he became the coach, and thought it was great he could implement his ideas when he became the coach. I was so wrong 🙄

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Enjoy this beautiful memory:

Also, I didn't hear Savard's full interview on TSN690 yesterday, but apparently, he was planning a coaching change before he was fired as GM.

So he was planning on firing demers and trading Roy?

You can't help but wonder in an alternate universe if Savard had stayed on, where the team would have headed.

Savard made some pretty poor moves in the 90s, but the older players are all pretty universal in respecting serge because he knew how to manage people. He was a big part of building up the reputation of class in the organization.

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I used to love Mario's in-game analysis on TV before he became the coach, and thought it was great he could implement his ideas when he became the coach. I was so wrong 🙄
I think he'd been alright. Tremblay made some brilliant moves early in. Damphousse to center, etc... Tremblay still holds franchise record for most consecutive wins to start coaching career. Impressive considering all the greats like Bowman, Irvin, Toe Blake. But Tremblay and all new three in front office had no experience. What took him down.

Reactions: MagicalDeck

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
And… we’re playing the Wings tonight. Wow. :laugh:
The CHickens vs the Wings

So he was planning on firing demers and trading Roy?

You can't help but wonder in an alternate universe if Savard had stayed on, where the team would have headed.

Savard made some pretty poor moves in the 90s, but the older players are all pretty universal in respecting serge because he knew how to manage people. He was a big part of building up the reputation of class in the organization.
This is all gone now, sadly.

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
you aren't wrong... and... you don't appear to have much experience working with elite talent.

while it's fair to point out how problematic they can at times be, the main job of a coach is to get the best out of the talent available. For whatever ego issues Roy had, his success under multiple coaches suggests that they were certainly manageable by competent coaches and organizations.

The responsibility starts at the top.
Egomaniacs can be tolerated on a winning team. They lose their appeal quickly if things are not going well.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
I didn't mind Tremblay, really. He brought energy and whathisname that was assistant coach was taking care of the strategies. They were doing OK. Of course he fought with Roy but Houle just got garbage in return of two big pieces in Roy and Turgeon. That was unforgiveable. What was he thinking?

At the end of the day, the one responsible for the debacle was Ronald Corey for picking those guys.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Tremblay and Roy.......................The clash of egos.

So sad that Reggie and the nut job Corey made this foolishness go away by making a deal way to quickly........trading Roy was on the docket anyhow, but the return?? WTF Mr Corey?

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
I noticed it'll be mentioned in a later post in this thread but Roy was undermining Demers. So Roy was making it a rule to be a primadonna. Many of you guys are excusing Roy's shabby behaviour because of his talent. Roy was a great goalie but he was also a f##king douchebag and when it comes to that fiasco 25 years ago, I don't excuse him one bit. The same way I don't excuse Mario Tremblay.

I don't think people quite realize how bad Roy is/was outside of the rink. He gets excused for all of it because he was good at stopping pucks and has friends in the media.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

EXPOS123

Jun 29, 2010
While there was plenty of blame to go around, I personally was not bothered by Patrick leaving.

The team was aging and our prospect pool was poor ( sound familiar)

What bothered me the most was the return we got for him, which was pathetic.

Here was our chance to cash in our biggest trade chip and get some great young talent to fill multiple holes and rejuvenate the club and what do we get? 4 seasons of Jocelyn Thibault, Martin Rucinsjy who never scored more than 60 points , and fricken Andre kovelenko, who lasted one season with us.

Add to that the equally terrible return for Turgeon the following year and this franchise literally never recovered

Reactions: Habs10Habs

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Tremblay and Roy.......................The clash of egos.

So sad that Reggie and the nut job Corey made this foolishness go away by making a deal way to quickly........trading Roy was on the docket anyhow, but the return?? WTF Mr Corey?
When they make a deal like that they tell the medias they wanted to accommodate the player (yes I've heard that at the time by Houle), yeah yeah ok, but how about the TEAM and the Fans? They are not important ??
Wtf !!

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
I don't think people quite realize how bad Roy is/was outside of the rink. He gets excused for all of it because he was good at stopping pucks and has friends in the media.
A lot of hockey players and other sports stars are big egos and @ssholes. We don't have to know everything. They are not the kind of persons to hang with or invite for a supper. We just want them to play and make our beloved team win. Béliveau, Dryden, Robinson and Lafleur were exceptions, they were classy and good persons.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
When they make a deal like that they tell the medias they wanted to accommodate the player (yes I've heard that at the time by Houle), yeah yeah ok, but how about the TEAM and the Fans? They are not important ??
Wtf !!
There was no way, they should have made that deal within days of the debacle itself.
The ego maniacs Tremblay and Roy should have been told to put up with each other, while a deal was worked out...................the ENTIRE league should have been faxed the info that Roy was avaialble and then and only then would there have been a bidding war for his services.

Instead Corey, made it happen quick..........and Reggie pulled the trigger.......a very very sad time for the fans.

Cournoyer12

Mar 17, 2022
Bad front office and managerial guys YES!!! However, both were crucial to the 70s dynasty lest we forget! All apologies to those born after 1970.

Elvis P

Everybody on the whole cell block
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Bleacher Report has Roy ranked as the 22nd best Hab ever. I have him ranked as the 7th best player ever behind Beliveau at 6.

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007
I think he'd been alright. Tremblay made some brilliant moves early in. Damphousse to center, etc... Tremblay still holds franchise record for most consecutive wins to start coaching career. Impressive considering all the greats like Bowman, Irvin, Toe Blake. But Tremblay and all new three in front office had no experience. What took him down.
Tremblay had a winning record as HC in Montreal with a 71-63-25 record and made the playoffs both years.

Won 5 cups and played 852 regular season games and another 101 in the playoffs all with the Habs.

Our faithful don't hold him in high esteem but the guy bled red, white, and blue

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007
I didn't mind Tremblay, really. He brought energy and whathisname that was assistant coach was taking care of the strategies. They were doing OK. Of course he fought with Roy but Houle just got garbage in return of two big pieces in Roy and Turgeon. That was unforgiveable. What was he thinking?

At the end of the day, the one responsible for the debacle was Ronald Corey for picking those guys.
I feel bad for Pierre Turgeon. Especially after seeing him get inducted into the Hall of Fame this year.

Imagine if the current Hab team could acquire a 25 year old Center who was a former 1st overall pick and who just recently put up 134 points and has the leadership skills to be our team captain and handle the pressure of Montreal - only to turn around and trade him after 1 season where he put up 96 points. Some of us have been waiting a lifetime to see a Franchise Center like that play for Montreal. Peanut gets ridiculed for the Roy trade but Turgeon was a nightmare as well

Reactions: EXPOS123 and Kimota

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad