25 teams want equal chance for Crosby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
I don't believe the writer means that the GMs of 25 teams have stated they want an equal lottery. I think he is suggesting that "I am sure the other 25 teams would like to have an equal shot at Crosby."

That is opinion, not news.

Lanny MacDonald*

So that means that there are five teams out there that don't want a shot at Crosby? Birdcage liner.

Weary

Jul 1, 2003
The Iconoclast said:
So that means that there are five teams out there that don't want a shot at Crosby? Birdcage liner.
Perhaps it means there are five teams that want a more than equal shot at Crosby.

Russian Fan

Feb 27, 2003
Visit site
Weary said:
Perhaps it means there are five teams that want a more than equal shot at Crosby.

It's understandable that if you were projected to go TOP 5 overall, you want more chances to get Crosby & you're against the equal shot thing.

It will probably go as equal shot because everyone will preach for their best team options.

understandable selfishness.

babybruin

Oct 28, 2003
vancouver
I believe in the NHL draft lottery, the highest you could move up was 4 places. Thus, only the worst 5 teams have a shot at the #1 overall pick.

HF2002

Aug 20, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
It means that those 25 want a real chance at him because they have everything to gain, while the remaining 5 want to maintain their advantage of being the 5 lottery teams because they have a lot to lose.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
This is one of those things that could turn out to embarrass the NHL if they don't handle it right. If the kid ends up in Tampa Bay or Calgary or any of the usual suspects that could before afford any player they wanted(Detroit, Colorado, TO, Dallas, etc), the league will again be laughed at for obvious reasons.

You can make all the cases you want that last the stinky teams got their reward for sucking and don't deserve another one, but your basic sports fan will just laugh at it. Its like deciding to give this year's first pick in the draft and the best college prospect in 20 years(hypothetical player) to the Pats or Eagles because everyone deserves a fair chance.

IF ends up with a bad team or at least a team in the middle, it won't look so bad. But with the way things have been going for the NHL, Crosby will end up on some team loaded already with star players and cups banners and the NHL will just look silly. Silly that is to everyone, but the fans of that team.

I wonder a little bit if its worth it to Detroit fans to get an even shot at Crosby and risk the he ends up in Colorado? Sometimes I don't think fans that favor the equal lottery think about that. With an equal chance the odds are far better that Crosby will end up with the teams that rival yours than with your team. With the weighted lottery the chances of the kid ending up in Toronto get slim, but so also do the chances that he ends up in Montreal, Ottawa, or Boston. To me the idea of that player showing up cost free to the guys across the street is far more dangerous than the off chance that your team could get him.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
The only actually widely reported quotes out there so far have Bettman laying down the law that there will be a weighted draft, encompassing several seasons of standings, and the implication is that it would be heavilly weighted. ie, saying that 'however much better' CBJ's chances (the team most favored in that system, not my team btw) than Detroits (the team least favored under that system), the 'field' has a better chance of winning Crosby than CBJ.

Look to another thread here where some of the same ones crying wolf in threads like this one about how decimated their teams are going to be so they 'deserve' an equal shot, are at the same time arguing that their star players will all be able to be kept under any CBA scenerio.

I will say this. If the NHL gives a completely equal chance to all and a loaded team ends up with Crosby the NHL will lose all credibility that they gained with me during this lockout. But so far, I have seen nothing, including this thread, that leads me to believe that the NHL is leaning anywhere but a wieghted draft that gives everyone a chance, even though some of those chances may be token at best.

Egil

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
This sounds like what Muckler said earlier.....

Crosby to Ottawa :)

Havlat - Spezza - Hossa
Schaefer - Crosby - Alfredsson

HF2002

Aug 20, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
Jaded-Fan said:
The only actually widely reported quotes out there so far have Bettman laying down the law that there will be a weighted draft, encompassing several seasons of standings, and the implication is that it would be heavilly weighted. ie, saying that 'however much better' CBJ's chances (the team most favored in that system, not my team btw) than Detroits (the team least favored under that system), the 'field' has a better chance of winning Crosby than CBJ.

Look to another thread here where some of the same ones crying wolf in threads like this one about how decimated their teams are going to be so they 'deserve' an equal shot, are at the same time arguing that their star players will all be able to be kept under any CBA scenerio.

I will say this. If the NHL gives a completely equal chance to all and a loaded team ends up with Crosby the NHL will lose all credibility that they gained with me during this lockout. But so far, I have seen nothing, including this thread, that leads me to believe that the NHL is leaning anywhere but a wieghted draft that gives everyone a chance, even though some of those chances may be token at best.
I guess we'll soon... see .... ;-)

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
HF2002 said:
It means that those 25 want a real chance at him because they have everything to gain, while the remaining 5 want to maintain their advantage of being the 5 lottery teams because they have a lot to lose.
The article means that the author is suggesting that 25 teams want a real chance, not that the writer has actually talked to anyone about what they really want.

Edit: PLUS...since there is no draft order, the author has no idea which teams are the 5 with the advantage and which 25 he is talking about.

HSHS

Losing is a disease
Apr 5, 2005
Redondo Beach, Ca
HF2002 said:
I guess we'll soon... see .... ;-)

Not sure how soon... talk was that we were supposed to hear some resolution from yesterday's BOG meeting. But once again, I was disappionted. They didn't even discuss it!! Only good IF the meeting was productive for the CBA.

rekrul

Mar 7, 2003
bittersville,ca
Visit site
newsflash every team GM wants a shot at crosby... in other news water is wet...

seriously how is Crosby to big market going to lose the "credibility" ( does the NHL have any?) in the major US sports fandom that thinks the NHL is still alive. Sure billysaberfan or joecapitalfan might get steamed if he goes to a major market like Chicago or LA. but outside of Toronto ( really that WOULD cause a fuss since their is percieved notion that the leafs wag the NHL dog ) I don't think the NHL really would care to hurt 20 or so fanbases to land Crosby in a major market. gary B is from the NBA ilk, Magic in LA, MJ in Chicago, Ewing ( remember that weird lottery first time that everyone thought the fix was in ) in NY. THe mentality is much like MLB. Better to have uberteams in major markets compete for championships and have 2/3 of the league there to provide teams to fill a scheduel and players for fantasy geeks. I'm sure the NHL brass is just as shill as those leagues overlooking that the NFL is just as popular watching Brett Farve as it is watching curtis martin.

Any 'fix' to land the next one on the Rangers/Kings/Blackhawks/Stars over the Sens/sabers/pensguins is welcomed b the BOG I'm sure.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
rekrul said:
newsflash every team GM wants a shot at crosby... in other news water is wet...

seriously how is Crosby to big market going to lose the "credibility" ( does the NHL have any?) in the major US sports fandom that thinks the NHL is still alive. Sure billysaberfan or joecapitalfan might get steamed if he goes to a major market like Chicago or LA. but outside of Toronto ( really that WOULD cause a fuss since their is percieved notion that the leafs wag the NHL dog ) I don't think the NHL really would care to hurt 20 or so fanbases to land Crosby in a major market. gary B is from the NBA ilk, Magic in LA, MJ in Chicago, Ewing ( remember that weird lottery first time that everyone thought the fix was in ) in NY. THe mentality is much like MLB. Better to have uberteams in major markets compete for championships and have 2/3 of the league there to provide teams to fill a scheduel and players for fantasy geeks. I'm sure the NHL brass is just as shill as those leagues overlooking that the NFL is just as popular watching Brett Farve as it is watching curtis martin.

Any 'fix' to land the next one on the Rangers/Kings/Blackhawks/Stars over the Sens/sabers/pensguins is welcomed b the BOG I'm sure.

Could not agree more.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
All of you equal chance people who are fans of big market teams, repeat after me, you will feel better for being honest, I promise you.

'I, big market fan, used to having the proverbial silver spoon in my mouth among hockey fans, want my shot at Crosby because I am used to getting my way and want that to continue, deserving of it or not.'

Now I will admit that as a fan of a team who has had it rough of late, I want an unequal weighted lottery because any slight advantage that would give, I truly believe is reflected in what within a very close degree would have happened last year. True, there would be some movement, but mostly in the middle, not top to bottom, bottom to top. And in the end, even with Crosby the lower teams would be still pretty sad teams next year and for some years to come. The Top teams? Merely a reloading, Crosby would be the icing that would put them favorites for the cup. I still do not see how anyone can defend other than this.

Sort of like beating up a homeless guy to take his lunch bag from him that the local charity gave him because you do not feel like crossing the street to go to Wendys isn't it?

But some of you really won't care to get that analogy, will you?

Lanny MacDonald*

Jaded-Fan said:
All of you equal chance people who are fans of big market teams, repeat after me, you will feel better for being honest, I promise you.

'I, big market fan, used to having the proverbial silver spoon in my mouth among hockey fans, want my shot at Crosby because I am used to getting my way and want that to continue, deserving of it or not.'

Now I will admit that as a fan of a team who has had it rough of late, I want an unequal weighted lottery because any slight advantage that would give, I truly believe is reflected in what within a very close degree would have happened last year. True, there would be some movement, but mostly in the middle, not top to bottom, bottom to top. And in the end, even with Crosby the lower teams would be still pretty sad teams next year and for some years to come. The Top teams? Merely a reloading, Crosby would be the icing that would put them favorites for the cup. I still do not see how anyone can defend other than this.

Sort of like beating up a homeless guy to take his lunch bag from him that the local charity gave him because you do not feel like crossing the street to go to Wendys isn't it?

But some of you really won't care to get that analogy, will you?

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
I guess the question can be asked, would the big markets trade revenue sharing for a chance at Crosby? And would Bettman do the deal also? It should be weighted somewhat but each team should have a chance but my Wings shouldn't have an equal chance as lets say the Blue Jackets.

SharkGirl27

Jan 23, 2005
San Jose, CA
Sorry if this has been suggested already, but with the million threads discussing draft order, I am not about to go through all of them. What if they broke it down like this:

All based on 2003-04 standings...

-Bottom 5 teams each get 5 lottery balls
-Remaining 9 non-playoff teams get 3 each
-16 playoff teams each get 1

that way each team has a shot at Crosby, and the teams that "really need" him have a better chance than the Detroits, Colorados, Philly's etc..

In my opinion Washington shouldn't have a shot at him even though they were in the bottom five, as they got Ovechkin in the last draft, and the chances of them getting the first overall pick again would've been slim to none, but again that is just my opinion and I know it would never fly so that's why I didn't include it above.

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
HABSoluteDMB11 said:
Sorry if this has been suggested already, but with the million threads discussing draft order, I am not about to go through all of them. What if they broke it down like this:

All based on 2003-04 standings...

-Bottom 5 teams each get 5 lottery balls
-Remaining 9 non-playoff teams get 3 each
-16 playoff teams each get 1

that way each team has a shot at Crosby, and the teams that "really need" him have a better chance than the Detroits, Colorados, Philly's etc..

In my opinion Washington shouldn't have a shot at him even though they were in the bottom five, as they got Ovechkin in the last draft, and the chances of them getting the first overall pick again would've been slim to none, but again that is just my opinion and I know it would never fly so that's why I didn't include it above.

My idea is average out the last 3 years. From worst to best

1-10 teams get 3 balls
11-20 teams get 2 balls
21-30 teams get 1 ball

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
JWI19 said:
My idea is average out the last 3 years. From worst to best

1-10 teams get 3 balls
11-20 teams get 2 balls
21-30 teams get 1 ball

That leaves almost a 17% chance of a pretty (if not totally) loaded team (21-30) ending up with Crosby. And that teams who remain sucking big time having a 50/50 chance of ending up picking bottom of the order if not last. My preference is no chance at all for teams who are in that 21-30 slot, but if you have to give a chance, make it small. Or have there be only the lottery for pick number one. The rest be slotted with movement of no more than a set number, maybe 5 slots either way. I remain with what I said above, if a loaded team gets Crosby while a team that sucks does not, and watches that loaded team go for yet another Stanley Cup run with that icing on the cake while CBJ for instance picks 30th, it will be a total joke. And everyone here knows it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad