Post-Game Talk: #25| New York Islanders @ Detroit Red Wings | December 2nd | 7:30 PM | F/W 4-1

GoIsles1

Sep 12, 2018
It's not him, it's Detroit. Darren Helm, in a very sheltered 12 minutes per game, is one of only three players who is a plus, and he's the only one who's played more than half their games.

There are two other centers on the team who have a worse +/- per sixty than Flip.
Yeah definitely not blaming him, theyre certainly a very bad team. Makes tonight a must 2 points.

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
The more I look at this lineup, the more I think that the best solution for success in this season and going forward is to have Koivula seize the opportunity he's been given.

He looked pretty good in sheltered minutes last game.

Way better to fill the void internally than to (over)pay at the TDL for a pending UFA that might not even sign here, would cost us futures and would mess up the salary cap for our own RFAs.

I actually think Bardreau looked better than Koivula in his stint. At least he was much more noticeable during the games. Perhaps Koivula brings something different but I'd like to see Bardreau back

crasherino

May 9, 2013
I actually think Bardreau looked better than Koivula in his stint. At least he was much more noticeable during the games. Perhaps Koivula brings something different but I'd like to see Bardreau back
I agree. Koivula may have a higher ceiling but Bardreau looked more polished/finished. Koivula - at least to me - looks like he just wants to get off the ice without making a mistake. Now, the way to get a younger player more confidence and to look more aggressive is to actually give him more playing time. So I'm fine with him taking the shifts now. But if you're comparing the Bardreau experiment to the Koivula one so far, I think the Bardreau one was more successful, albeit in very small sample sizes to date.

But I think Bardreau is hurt anyway so its moot at this point.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
I agree. Koivula may have a higher ceiling but Bardreau looked more polished/finished. Koivula - at least to me - looks like he just wants to get off the ice without making a mistake. Now, the way to get a younger player more confidence and to look more aggressive is to actually give him more playing time. So I'm fine with him taking the shifts now. But if you're comparing the Bardreau experiment to the Koivula one so far, I think the Bardreau one was more successful, albeit in very small sample sizes to date.

But I think Bardreau is hurt anyway so its moot at this point.

Don't we have Fritz stashed away in the AHL? I think he can be a decent plug in for the 3rd line center. Kid has wheels, plays hard and is hungry whenever I see him play. Unless he is hurt too? too lazy to look it up

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut

Injuries aside, I agree that Bardreau is more NHL ready at the moment.

Koivula has the higher ceiling. For me, it's worth the growing pains to see if he gains some confidence and loses the indecision that many rookies have in the beginning.

Otto is also a big boy and size matters in the NHL (and elsewhere), or so I've been told. ;)

Lek

Nov 25, 2006
Raleigh
I thought Otto showed some good progression last game. Keeping him with Leo and a quicker wing like Brassard or Ebs should be good for his development. However...i did really like the way Cole played....think if he were healthy he would have been called up.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Don't we have Fritz stashed away in the AHL? I think he can be a decent plug in for the 3rd line center. Kid has wheels, plays hard and is hungry whenever I see him play. Unless he is hurt too? too lazy to look it up
He was hurt. Think he still is.

Reactions: Big L

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
I will go with 5-1 win tonight with Otto getting his first goal, Eberle getting his first goal, as well, .. I like switching Brassard and Eberle if that is being done.

O

Reactions: Thrasymachus

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
He’s hurt too.

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
Whalstrom's development may come in to play, in a big way, very soon, so it's good that he is getting NHL experience.

how much is too much? looks fine so far, even good. He showed the responsibility needed for success, on his 1st shift. Kept the shift so short that it was cute, lol, but he understood what his role was, and did it effectively.

Lights911

Dec 5, 2017
Long Island
Completely forgot Flip was on Detroit, hope he’s doing well. Redwings off to an awful start so we need to get 2 tonight.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Kasper and Vukota praising Ledecky big time! We’re getting to be a very respectable organization again. Former players are seeing it and feeling it.

Reactions: dood

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad