Post-Game Talk: #25| New York Islanders @ Detroit Red Wings | December 2nd | 7:30 PM | F/W 4-1

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I would have been happy with Val on a one year deal but no way would I give him a 2nd year - not with our cap situation next year. Committing $3m next year to an aging Center is not what we need, even if we didn't have the replacement available at the time. Considering he got the multi year offer in a place he wanted to play, good for him. Despite what he's doing in Detroit, if he played here, he could have still been as productive as last year....or he could have fallen off a cliff as his numbers suggest he has (although it could very well be a function of his ****ty team - haven't really watched them).

I don't think he's fallen off as much as his numbers suggest, it's a product of the team and the role he has there. They're just absolutely dreadful. We heard that Filppula was washed up before he came to the island, same with Komarov, and Martin, and Brassard, but they all have fit into the system well. I'm glad they didn't give him that deal, as I think he has a NMC as well.

xIsle

Oct 24, 2006
Montreal
Would love a 5-0 beatdown of a bad team to boost the confidence levels.

Lee with 2 goals, Eberle with the hatty.
If the Islanders score 5 goals or more, I would prefer that the production be spread over several players, not just two!

crasherino

May 9, 2013
I don't think he's fallen off as much as his numbers suggest, it's a product of the team and the role he has there. They're just absolutely dreadful. We heard that Filppula was washed up before he came to the island, same with Komarov, and Martin, and Brassard, but they all have fit into the system well. I'm glad they didn't give him that deal, as I think he has a NMC as well.
I'm sure that's the case. In another situation - like ours, he could be perfectly productive. I would have taken him for a year but overall, I'm fine with how it worked out. We are still in strong need of a 3C but considering how our season has gone so far, we are in a good position to let Koivula try out for the spot right now. I didn't see the game on Saturday beyond the highlights but folks are saying he played decently. If he can grow into the role on the job, that would be great for us. Happy to see MDC scratched for Koivula. Let him learn in periods 1 & 2 and double shift Casey/Brock - if need be - down the stretch.

Its nice to have our young guys (Otto/Noah) be introduced slowly into the lineup. The fact that our cupboards are mostly bare behind them (especially at Center) is an issue for another day.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Unfortunately, Canadiens are due for a win! Eight defeats in a row!
Not to mention how awesome we usually play in Montreal.:facepalm:

My ears are still ringing from their incredibly loud goal horn going off 7 times our last game up there.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Detroit is essentially a team with a 1st and 3rd line, and 3 3rd pairings. It is essential to beat that.

Le Grec

Jun 28, 2011
Unfortunately, Canadiens are due for a win! Eight defeats in a row!

Both are on losing streaks.

But, the Isles shouldn't be overconfident, after that disappointing ,west coast road trip.

I had expected the isles would return with 4/5 out of a possible 6 points. Instead, they returned with 1 out of a possible 6 points.

No slip ups in these next two. Pick up the 4 points and keep it moving.

As bad as these teams have been playing, they both play us tough. There needs to be a 60 minute effort by all...

Poulin 0n My St1ck

Oct 18, 2010
Jesus, poor Frans. I was aware that he's not doing well in Detroit, but I didn't realize he was doing that poorly.

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
He ate the fish on the flight home.

and don’t call me Shirley.

I think we might win big today...

My stomach is a mess and I've unloaded 4 times already since like 5 am. Can't seem to get a good one satisfying enough to know I'm done. ****.

9-1 Isles win incoming...

Maybe he's been hanging out with PWJunior?

That last quote was a little while ago but it's hard to get those visuals out of your head.

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Same lineup:

The more I look at this lineup, the more I think that the best solution for success in this season and going forward is to have Koivula seize the opportunity he's been given.

He looked pretty good in sheltered minutes last game.

Way better to fill the void internally than to (over)pay at the TDL for a pending UFA that might not even sign here, would cost us futures and would mess up the salary cap for our own RFAs.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
The more I look at this lineup, the more I think that the best solution for success in this season and going forward is to have Koivula seize the opportunity he's been given.

Way better to fill the void internally than to (over)pay at the TDL for a pending UFA that might not even sign here, would cost us futures and would mess up the salary cap for our own RFAs.
Agreed. At the moment the best answer for 3C is to let Koivula grown into the position,

crasherino

May 9, 2013

Our hot start has given us a cushion to let him grow into the position. Clearly if he does in fact seize it, we'll be in great shape. But he actually has to perform in order to make that a viable plan. I didn't see Saturday's game and it seems like it was his best one to date based on what folks here have said. His other games, to date, have been him playing very tentatively almost as if he's looking to not make a mistake. Hopefully he gets more comfortable in the coming games and starts to have more confidence and starts playing his game. Our early success gives us the chance to let him learn on the job. Perfectly fine for him to play sheltered minutes at the outset. I don't think we'll see him in the last 10 minutes of a tied game at this point. And that's OK.

And if it looks like he's not ready yet, hopefully Bardreau and/or Fritz are healthy again and they can take the spot in the short term. I thought Bardreau looked decent enough in short stay here.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
Is it really the same? I missed the last game but I thought that Eberle had played with Nelson and Brassard with Koivula.

I think Eberle has to play out his funk and earn his minutes back on the top 6. He looks be playing not to get hurt again as the injury may be nagging him. Trotz is pulling his strings. Excellent

Reactions: dood

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
I think Eberle has to play out his funk and earn his minutes back on the top 6. He looks be playing not to get hurt again as the injury may be nagging him. Trotz is pulling his strings. Excellent
just a guess, but when Trotz said that he was going to start getting tough (not exact words), i think he had Eberle and MDC in mind. and i agree 100%. competition is good, make them earn it.

Reactions: Lek

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Fillpula a -23 good lord. Wings are the worst team in the league the Isles absolutely have to get the 2 points here especially after crapping the bed against the Ducks and Kings. Gotta beat the bottom feeders no excuses.
It's not him, it's Detroit. Darren Helm, in a very sheltered 12 minutes per game, is one of only three players who is a plus, and he's the only one who's played more than half their games.

There are two other centers on the team who have a worse +/- per sixty than Flip.

Reactions: Fafaflunky

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Is it really the same? I missed the last game but I thought that Eberle had played with Nelson and Brassard with Koivula.

I think you're correct, but I can't remember if that adjustment was made in the game or not. Nobody has been rotated to the press box.

Reactions: xIsle

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad