GDT: [#25] Lightning @ Stars, 7:30 PM CST (FS-SW) - Reverse Retros in the hizzle

Status
Not open for further replies.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
The same people who want tanking are going to be the ones to shit all over the drafting the most

Can’t win with some fans

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
I can easily be talked into this franchise needing a rebuild if some new GM has a plan for how to get bad enough to get those top draft picks, but there is nothing this team can do now to tank for a top pick -- not with teams truly scraping bottom like Anaheim, Buffalo, Ottawa, NJ, and Detroit.

And even in the future, they're still locked into too many guys who are good enough to keep them from being pathetic, even if those same guys aren't good enough to make them consistently dangerous. Trying to tank now feels like the bankruptcy-era Stars who were bad but not bad enough (combined with some bad drafting for sure).

WhoahNow

WhatsApp lead the way
Sep 7, 2011
I can easily be talked into this franchise needing a rebuild if some new GM has a plan for how to get bad enough to get those top draft picks, but there is nothing this team can do now to tank for a top pick -- not with teams truly scraping bottom like Anaheim, Buffalo, Ottawa, NJ, and Detroit.
I honestly think losing Cogliano and Comeau to free agency will be a huge addition by subtraction as long as they aren't replaced by pure defensive players as well as having a healthy Seguin. I'm sick of the preventative hockey the Stars play they should be trying to dictate the game, but with the injuries this year the roster just isnt up to snuff

Reactions: DieselPig

David Castillo

Oct 29, 2014
San Antonio, TX
Next draft will be a complete crapshot. No point tanking for that. Just play out the year the best you can . Not to mention blatant tanking can do serious lasting damage . See the Sabres or the Oilers.

Also see every serious Cup contender/winner in the last ten years. I agree with not tanking, granted. Even if this team wanted to bottom out, their floor is too high. Goaltending and Heiskanen alone is often enough. But they shouldn't be afraid of getting more picks either. I realize you're talking about the next draft in particular, but teams who consider the draft a 'crapshoot' tend to be the ones who suck at drafting. Like if Dallas just ended up with nothing but picks at the deadline, that's just more capital for a cap-strapped world. And as much as I loathe their overall record at the draft and "style" of player they clearly favor, recent drafts have been much more kind.

Reactions: Smelling Salt

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
I see the need for a rebuild, but I don't see it as a reality given our sizable contracts and no trade clauses. The Stars will have to decide which defensemen they want to keep/pay this summer. And then maybe if Dallas has an elongated cold stretch next year you could use the 2022 trade deadline as a bit of a jumping off point for a rebuild. Prior to that, I don't see massive changes to the roster in the cards. With that in mind, you may as well shoot for the playoffs this year.

As far as fans of tanking, don't underestimate the negative effects a losing culture has. Tanking is a massive risk/reward analysis; been more failed rebuild attempts then successes if Stanley Cups are the end goal. All the same, I still don't necessarily think you're wrong, but definitely early . The 2021 draft isn't worth a losing culture but the '22 and '23 drafts have some transformation talent...guess we'll see where we are in a year or two.

Zapp

Owner of Fellas Club
Mar 14, 2016
Jyvaskyla
The same people who want tanking are going to be the ones to shit all over the drafting the most

Can’t win with some fans

Silly when people think this team needs to tank in order to get a high draft. Did we tank when we got Miro? I forget. oh wait we were dogshit that season and moved up 5 places to select the same player we would have used 1st overall on anyway.

but yeah top shelf argument

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
If stars can put a 4 game win streak together here (Detroit and Nashville shouldnt be too hard ) . There’s a good chance they will be in a playoff spot as the hawks have a tough next 4 games and were only 8 points behind them .

Reactions: DieselPig

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
If stars can put a 4 game win streak together here (Detroit and Nashville shouldnt be too hard ) . There’s a good chance they will be in a playoff spot as the hawks have a tough next 4 games and were only 8 points behind them .

We also play Chicago twice for our last two games of the season. We just need to make some ground on them now and those last two games would decide who makes the playoffs

Reactions: Bfantz

JesusNPucks

Dec 22, 2009
Amman, Jordan
Whatever they do, they should not go the way of the SJ Sharks after 2016. Otherwise? The stars will find themselves investing 45-50% of their cap into four players past their prime. They are already halfway there, so much caution is needed imho.

Reactions: Satan

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Silly when people think this team needs to tank in order to get a high draft. Did we tank when we got Miro? I forget. oh wait we were dogshit that season and moved up 5 places to select the same player we would have used 1st overall on anyway.

Nothing about this makes any sense

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven

So your strategy to get a top pick is to hope to win the lottery?

Reactions: Kipper 17 and LT

Zapp

Owner of Fellas Club
Mar 14, 2016
Jyvaskyla
So your strategy to get a top pick is to hope to win the lottery?

Man it’s getting old spoon-feeding basic context.

We didn’t tank and got the 8th pick right? That’s a top 10 pick which = high chance of good player. Right?

Even better we had a chance for a lottery pick and moved up 5 spots into number 3. Right? Stay with me.

Miro was at the top of our draft board and even if we had won the 1st pick, we would have selected him either way. Right?

So broken down would be

Didn’t tank but we’re still bad > Solid pick

Won lottery position, moved up > Better pick

#1 player to us available at pick 3 > Best pick

So if you stayed with me, you get the fact that we didn’t tank, still sucked like we do this season, didn’t win 1st or 2nd overall. And still got the top player (on our board) in said draft.

No tanking involved. Very. Very. Simple

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven

We didn’t tank and got the 8th pick right? That’s a top 10 pick which = high chance of good player. Right?

Even better we had a chance for a lottery pick and moved up 5 spots into number 3. Right? Stay with me.

Miro was at the top of our draft board and even if we had won the 1st pick, we would have selected him either way. Right?

So broken down would be

So if you stayed with me, you get the fact that we didn’t tank, still sucked like we do this season, didn’t win 1st or 2nd overall. And still got the top player (on our board) in said draft.

Next you're going to try to sell me on your lottery ticket investment idea.

Linus Bryksa

Mar 2, 2021
Also see every serious Cup contender/winner in the last ten years. I agree with not tanking, granted. Even if this team wanted to bottom out, their floor is too high. Goaltending and Heiskanen alone is often enough. But they shouldn't be afraid of getting more picks either. I realize you're talking about the next draft in particular, but teams who consider the draft a 'crapshoot' tend to be the ones who suck at drafting. Like if Dallas just ended up with nothing but picks at the deadline, that's just more capital for a cap-strapped world. And as much as I loathe their overall record at the draft and "style" of player they clearly favor, recent drafts have been much more kind.
see Jack Campbell

WhoahNow

WhatsApp lead the way
Sep 7, 2011

So broken down would be

Ya but Miro would have been gone by 8, so the Stars wouldn't have selected him either way because they wouldn't have had the chance

Zapp

Owner of Fellas Club
Mar 14, 2016
Jyvaskyla
Your point is silly. Yes, if we know the Stars are going to win the draft lottery, of course you don’t need to tank.

Nope, you are still confused.

The point is you don’t have to tank to get a good player or even the player you want. You still have to eat shit at the bottom for a few years to build a truly talented team that can compete for multiple seasons.

Idk why understanding that is so far over your head

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad