25 Greatest Philadelphia Flyers of the Last 25 Years (1992-2017)-#2

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
Was thinking that it might have been more fair to the Current Players to have only had retired or even Past Players considered for inclusion in this Poll... Giroux, Simmonds, Jake, etal., with their yet to be completed Stats, would not have to compete with Players who had much longer time to build up their resumes. -- Players like Carter who aren't retired would have to be included though to be fair to them -- That said... it is a hard thing to devise these Polls... and set the ground rules... plus much work... and I fully respect the parameters set.

And honesty, to see Giroux fairing so well among the Past Players is a testament to what he has accomplished to date... and I'm sure other Current Players will prove to be in the mix also, as the Poll continues.

... Just thinking out loud here.

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
I don't see LeClair over Giroux.
Neither can I but memory is interesting isnt it? The Legion of Doom were so dominant that in their heyday the Flyers were the apex team in the league. The Regular season/ first rounds of the playoffs in '97 were considered Lindros' coming out party.

The Giroux era on the other hand has been mostly mediocre, through little fault of his really. I think that's what tips the scales for people.

Leclair came in and spent the entirety of his prime riding shotgun to one of the greatest peaks in the history of the sport.

Giroux came in as depth and emerged as a superstar carrying mediocre Flyer teams on his back for large stretches. He never had a Brind'Amour, never had a Lindros, I guess Timonen was his Desjardins during his prime years.

The fact that he's in pretty tight race with Leclair at 30 having relatively little to work with during the prime of his talent speaks volumes I think.
Was thinking that it might have been more fair to the Current Players to have only had retired or even Past Players considered for inclusion in this Poll... Giroux, Simmonds, Jake, etal., with their yet to be completed Stats, would not have to compete with Players who had much longer time to build up their resumes. -- Players like Carter who aren't retired would have to be included though to be fair to them -- That said... it is a hard thing to devise these Polls... and set the ground rules... plus much work... and I fully respect the parameters set.

And honesty, to see Giroux fairing so well among the Past Players is a testament to what he has accomplished to date... and I'm sure other Current Players will prove to be in the mix also, as the Poll continues.

... Just thinking out loud here.

Duly noted. That's the point of the poll. To see how the forum views players from the different eras. A guy like Carter for example ran hot and cold with the fanbase while he was here and its interesting, at least to me, to see how he would be ranked against a fan favorite like Simmonds for example who is/was a lesser player but might end up closer to him in the final rankings then his actual on ice impact might suggest.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad