25 Greatest Philadelphia Flyers of the Last 25 Years (1992-2017)-#2

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Yeah that's true. If we are going just talent though, like best player ever to wear O&B in that time frame, not necessarily the career they had in Philly, Pronger-Lindros-Forsberg-Jagr in any order would be my vote (though I would vote Lindros 4th just because I don't like him). If it is best career I think you go LeClair-Lindros-Giroux.

We are doing best careers as Flyers.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Voting for the guy with a Conn Smythe trophy on his resume. Who also happens to be our current GM and is doing a hell of a job at it.

Also what the hell are guys like Matt Read and Andrej Meszaros doing on the list? More Jason Smith, Danny Markov, Dainus Zubrus, Dan McGillis etc. over that slop.

I think you need to read the stipulations for this over :laugh:

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
It doesn't say that in the OP, in fact it even lists Hextalls career from 86-92 in the poll option which would include his Conn Smythe winning year

The title states "25 Greatest Philadelphia Flyers of the Last 25 Years (1992-2017)" and the OP states "Spanning the beginning of the Lindros era (give or take) til now which players make up the board's consensus for best of the last 25 years?"

Seems pretty cut and dry to me, even if their was an error with including prior states on the poll. Same with Kjell Samuelsson.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
The title states "25 Greatest Philadelphia Flyers of the Last 25 Years (1992-2017)" and the OP states "Spanning the beginning of the Lindros era (give or take) til now which players make up the board's consensus for best of the last 25 years?"

Seems pretty cut and dry to me, even if their was an error with including prior states on the poll. Same with Kjell Samuelsson.

He played after that I assumed if a players span fell outside of it that it was ignored because he played during the span indicated by the OP. The inclusion of those years in the poll indicates to me that that is how the OP intended it. It seems silly to try to rank a players value to the organization in only a specific set of years and excluding all others. If thats the case theres no reason to even have him listed.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
He played after that I assumed if a players span fell outside of it that it was ignored because he played during the span indicated by the OP. The inclusion of those years in the poll indicates to me that that is how the OP intended it. It seems silly to try to rank a players value to the organization in only a specific set of years and excluding all others. If thats the case theres no reason to even have him listed.

I agree that a Player's entire Career should be taken into account if he played in 1992-93 Season or after... and I suppose reasonably projecting future Seasons here as in the case of Giroux -- even if I personally chose to not do so -- Having said that, Hextall's first stint here imo should be considered... but later in the Poll, since I believe he still is not the second best Player over the last 25 years. JMO

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I agree that a Player's entire Career should be taken into account if he played in 1992-93 Season or after... and I suppose reasonably projecting future Seasons here as in the case of Giroux -- even if I personally chose to not do so -- Having said that, Hextall's first stint here imo should be considered... but later in the Poll, since I believe he still is not the second best Player over the last 25 years. JMO

Yeah he is still not the 2nd best Flyer of the past 25 years even including those years.

If that were the case, it would actually be quite sad :laugh:

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
Yeah he is still not the 2nd best Flyer of the past 25 years even including those years.

If that were the case, it would actually be quite sad :laugh:

It says Greatest Philadelphia Flyer, it doesn't say best. Hextall was the embodiment of what someone thinks of, what I think of when someone says the name Philadelphia Flyers. His reputation, the way he played, career and playoff success. I don't mind seeing LeClair at #2, I grew up in the LoD era. Mark Recchi was my favorite player growing up. Still think Hexy should go higher than him as well.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Yeah that's true. If we are going just talent though, like best player ever to wear O&B in that time frame, not necessarily the career they had in Philly, Pronger-Lindros-Forsberg-Jagr in any order would be my vote (though I would vote Lindros 4th just because I don't like him). If it is best career I think you go LeClair-Lindros-Giroux.

Yeah, I'm thinking of them just as Flyers, not as overall players who have also happened to be a Flyer. I feel the former is more in the spirit of the thing.

Also, with more thought as time goes on, I'm realizing this is gonna be really hard from 3 onward.

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
No offense to John LeClair because I like him as much as anyone, but Eric Desjardins was the much more impactful player over their careers for the Flyers. Maybe the shiny 50 goal markers makes him "greater" but I'd compare the impact that the two had to the impact Simmonds versus Timonen made for the later iterations of Flyers' teams (obviously the first group is far superior in every way). Desjardins finished 4th, 4th, 5th, 9th, and 10th in Norris voting during his time here and as stated in the previous thread, he played during a time when there was a pile of Hall of Fame defensemen playing in their primes.

He was among the very best in the league at being very good offensively, while great defensively. Plus, he lugged Chris Therien around his entire career. John LeClair never had a burden to carry that was even close to that.

StevensCakeBakerBacker

Nov 11, 2009
Thor! "He broke the puck."

patrick-thoresen-of-the-philadelphia-flyers-skates-against-the-at-picture-id80324657

JXC and other long time members will remember.

Didn't he take a nasty nut shot in a playoff game against the Caps?

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Didn't he take a nasty nut shot in a playoff game against the Caps?

Yup and that was my post at the time when we saw him return. Forever immortalized by his screen name of Thor! I think we agreed that Patrick Thoresen would no longer be used and his nickname would have to be bolded and italicized. It was a moment in time.

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
No offense to John LeClair because I like him as much as anyone, but Eric Desjardins was the much more impactful player over their careers for the Flyers. Maybe the shiny 50 goal markers makes him "greater" but I'd compare the impact that the two had to the impact Simmonds versus Timonen made for the later iterations of Flyers' teams (obviously the first group is far superior in every way). Desjardins finished 4th, 4th, 5th, 9th, and 10th in Norris voting during his time here and as stated in the previous thread, he played during a time when there was a pile of Hall of Fame defensemen playing in their primes.

He was among the very best in the league at being very good offensively, while great defensively. Plus, he lugged Chris Therien around his entire career. John LeClair never had a burden to carry that was even close to that.
Good post. Rico is definitely underrated. If they beat the Wings in '97 him and Leclair are probably both in the HOF

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007
I'm going with LeClair. Then I'm gonna probably do Giroux.

After that it's gonna be Rico and Timonen followed by Richards, then Gagne.

I agree with LeClair but I have to go with Rico ahead of
Giroux but damn it's close. Was Recchi's 50 goal season within the 25 years? I might have to put him ahead of Giroux.

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
This was easy for me. John played a large part of his Flyer career with Eric Lindros who happens to be #1 on our list. Please do not take this the wrong way but John did not make 88 better it was the other way around. Giroux has never played with anyone in their prime close to the talent of 88. I look at what John did with the Habs then once he was paired with Eric here. This is no knock on him as he will get my vote soon enough. So little Claude gets my vote at 2.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad