Post-Game Talk: #25: Flyers at Senators, Tuesday, December 1, 2015

JXC

#ThisAintXbox #ThisAintMightyDucks #FireHakstol
Dec 28, 2005
They have been playing pretty darn well for some time now have the Flyers.

I felt like I saw a change after Giroux fought Leddy, then Luke Schenn fight at MSG lit it up some more.

No question that the Gost kid has changed things in a big way. He has brought a truckload of verve to a team that was mirthless early on.

OriginJM

matt stromes skating coach
Feb 4, 2010
some notes:

- i can't believe chris vandevelde has been a flyer this long. blood rituals, black magic, blackmailing, whatever he has done to keep himself in the lineup, i don't like it.

- gudas is scary and i love that we have him. his technical ability to play the body with a devastating hit every time is a rare quality, he's always a presence.

- nhl centers must have nightmares about matching up with couturier, his ability to win board battles and make the smartest play does so much for the team. always doing the small things perfect.

- raffl is the most average player ive ever seen. if he twirls himself into a corner protecting the puck just to turn it over ONE more time... im gonna do nothing really but im mad. might as well bring back nodl and swap them.

- jake used to control the puck with players on his back without breaking a stride, he can't seem to make as much room for himself as he needs. he's got to be better.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
So much better than the last game in Ottawa.

Medvedev really helps PP2.

JXC

#ThisAintXbox #ThisAintMightyDucks #FireHakstol
Dec 28, 2005
There are definitely more positives than Berube.

I really like the system he is trying to instil, when the players execute it creates good transition and Ozone pressure, and is a lot more fun than Berube's. It is not best suited to our players, D especially, but when the young D come through it should be very fun.

Also the PK looks like an NHL PK now... the two D men don't wander off past the hashes and generally stay tight to the posts, while one man pressures and one sits off in the lane. It is back to exactly the same style of PK it was from ~2011-2014. You know... the one that worked.

His personnel decisions have perturbed me though at times.

Agreed on the PK. It looks legit and pro and organized.

Mayo Masseuse

Tinariwen Riddum
May 16, 2010
The Dunes of Neptune
I picked up Ghost on my fantasy mid last week. I am happy with this decision.

Medvedev had a terrific night. This is a bit alarming to me, however, because why the hell hasn't he been playing every game?

Voracek is going through some real growing pains. He got the contract he probably always dreamed of and he certainly is the type of player that loves hockey and wants to perform, yet he is in what seems to be a psychological battle. On certain plays when we enters the zone I am so confused who the **** that player is. I hope it comes around for him. Got to send some positive vibes to that guy.

AndHeMissedTheNet

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Feb 12, 2014
some notes:

- i can't believe chris vandevelde has been a flyer this long. blood rituals, black magic, blackmailing, whatever he has done to keep himself in the lineup, i don't like it.

- gudas is scary and i love that we have him. his technical ability to play the body with a devastating hit every time is a rare quality, he's always a presence.

- nhl centers must have nightmares about matching up with couturier, his ability to win board battles and make the smartest play does so much for the team. always doing the small things perfect.

- raffl is the most average player ive ever seen. if he twirls himself into a corner protecting the puck just to turn it over ONE more time... im gonna do nothing really but im mad. might as well bring back nodl and swap them.

- jake used to control the puck with players on his back without breaking a stride, he can't seem to make as much room for himself as he needs. he's got to be better.

He's reminded us that enforcers - contrary to popular belief - don't necessarily have to be bad at hockey. Rinaldo was the anti-Gudas.

Patrick Division

Jan 13, 2008
NJ
Every team needs a Gudas type defenseman. Somebody back there who will bury guys with their head down. He has decent hands and a good shot - he's just doesn't have the speed to skate it out on his own.

Imagine how good this team could be with Vinny, Umberger and MacDonald's money spent on players that aren't terrible. Wish they had gone after Boychuk and Leddy instead of Streit and MacDonald...

Wonder what Vinny is going to do sitting all year. I don't think he'll ever play again. Just collect his checks I guess.

http://www.nj.com/flyers/index.ssf/2015/11/flyers_wont_bench_vinny_lecavalier_into_retiring_h.html

^^^^^^^An article from yesterday where he says he's definitely not retiring.

I respect him and his career but he needs to go.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
It's basically turned into an Ottawa Senator tinfoil hat wearing gathering, not much real discussion about the actual hit. :laugh:

I have generally been pretty pleased with Gudas, but that is textbook what the league should be eliminating. The fact that there wasn't even a penalty called on the play, when it happened right at the puck, is ridiculous.

Living (relatively) close to Ottawa, I get a lot of residual sports talk from there, so I am somewhat sensitized to the complaining; however, I think it has just become endemic of the current league-wide ignorance of ongoing dangerous plays. Refereeing seems to have gone into the toilet this season.

Mayo Masseuse

Tinariwen Riddum
May 16, 2010
The Dunes of Neptune
Whether there was intention or not, I'd be mad if the opposing teams player hit a Flyer with a lead-in forearm like that. I understand he is a player whose instinct is sheer physicality...take the player out. But then there will be repercussions for questionable hits (or at least there should be).

That being said, wasn't there a questionable hit from a Sen on us recently?

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Yeah, Chiasson got away with boarding Laughton.

The main board thread has the video, and some wacky comments.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
Watching the game i barely noticed it because it happened so fast. I then looked at the clip in the main board thread and it looks dirty and worthy of a game or two. i don't know his suspension history but i'd assume if he has been suspended a couple times before that could be more.

Impressed with the offensive side of ghost for sure, and he does make manning look somewhat improved. Favorite guy to watch right now, hope that he can start showing off his defensive game more but it's awesome to watch his offense.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I have generally been pretty pleased with Gudas, but that is textbook what the league should be eliminating. The fact that there wasn't even a penalty called on the play, when it happened right at the puck, is ridiculous.

Living (relatively) close to Ottawa, I get a lot of residual sports talk from there, so I am somewhat sensitized to the complaining; however, I think it has just become endemic of the current league-wide ignorance of ongoing dangerous plays. Refereeing seems to have gone into the toilet this season.

I'm talking about them complaining about how the league is somehow against them based off of previous incidents. They're doing more of that than actually discussing the actual hit at hand.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad