Post-Game Talk: #25: Flyers at Senators, Tuesday, December 1, 2015

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on-hockey/25397529/three-senators-were-injured-at-the-hands-of-flyers-radko-gudas

Kind of hard to count a shot that was blocked as attributable to Gudas, but it makes a nice headline....

The Mika thing was a routine forearm smash to the face. No big deal. Maybe a penalty. Would not have been a problem at all if he hadn't bailed on the shoulder check...

Your sarcasm smilie seems to have fallen off your post. I'll help you look for it ...

Okay, here it is. :sarcasm: It rolled under the couch.

Les Averman

Mar 3, 2015
Pittsburgh, PA
Well I'll officially say that I was wrong about Bellemare. I was advocating for him seeing some more time at ES and that he has 3rd line ability, but that is certainly not the case. 78 and 76 enter the zone well and play well along the boards but that is all they are capable of doing. Thankfully we've gotten some help from the defense and the second line but they really need to adjust that third line because it's really causing offensive problems.

Raffl doesn't belong on the first line and he's made that abundantly clear all season. He's a detriment to that line. Voracek doesn't deserve to be on the third line (although the others are 4th line material) and there's no sense messing with the chemistry on the second line right now. Left wing needs to be either Schenn, Laughton or Cousins on the first line. Vandevelde and Bellemare should be playing with McDonald on a 4th line.

Laughton--Giroux--Voracek
Read--Couturier--Simmonds
Raffl--Cousins--Schenn
Vandevelde--Bellemare--McDonald

Third and 4th lines are pretty weak but right now, the 2nd line is the only consistent line we have, and the 1st line has been seeing nowhere near enough time while the 3rd is seeing too much. Bring up Voracek and you'll have at least another line capable of consistent offensive ability to go with the 2nd.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Yeah...I try and look at questionable hits by reversing the jerseys. Would I be upset if Cowen did that exact same hit against us. For sure.

Do I think it's suspendable? In today's NHL and what they are trying to eliminate. Yeah...2 games. 10-15 years ago...no suspension.

Adtar02

@NateThompson44 is a bum
Apr 8, 2012
2nd star 2 the right
Yeah...I try and look at questionable hits by reversing the jerseys. Would I be upset if Cowen did that exact same hit against us. For sure.

Do I think it's suspendable? In today's NHL and what they are trying to eliminate. Yeah...2 games. 10-15 years ago...no suspension.

i try to do the same. I didnt think the hit was as bad as its being made out to be. If mika doesnt go down to his knee to shoot gudas hits him square in the chest. play happened fast.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Hakstol's scheme is starting to work, but you can see the personnel holes. You don't like Raffl? Well, the only alternative is Laughton on the first line, which means Raffl on the third line. Schenn is a RW, period, that's been proven. Cousins is better suited to C. Umberger is not much of an upgrade on Raffl. It is what it is until they can make some changes the next two years.

PEB and VV are fine on the 4th line and PK. But that's who they are.

Medvedev needed the time off, he's playing much better than before he was benched, similar to MDZ last year, some may be getting healthy, some I think is just having a chance to watch the NHL game and get a better feel for it.

Ghost and Medvedev show the difference mobile defensemen make, and MDZ is being more aggressive as well - it opens up the ice for the forwards and defensemen who can score, well, add scoring. Adding Sanheim and Provorov will make this a more mobile defense, and Morin, Hagg and Myers and you'll have depth in two years.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Hakstol's scheme is starting to work, but you can see the personnel holes. You don't like Raffl? Well, the only alternative is Laughton on the first line, which means Raffl on the third line. Schenn is a RW, period, that's been proven. Cousins is better suited to C. Umberger is not much of an upgrade on Raffl. It is what it is until they can make some changes the next two years.

PEB and VV are fine on the 4th line and PK. But that's who they are.

Medvedev needed the time off, he's playing much better than before he was benched, similar to MDZ last year, some may be getting healthy, some I think is just having a chance to watch the NHL game and get a better feel for it.

Ghost and Medvedev show the difference mobile defensemen make, and MDZ is being more aggressive as well - it opens up the ice for the forwards and defensemen who can score, well, add scoring. Adding Sanheim and Provorov will make this a more mobile defense, and Morin, Hagg and Myers and you'll have depth in two years.

I think you're right about that. I do think he makes it a little harder on himself with some lineup decisions, but 3 wins in a row is 3 wins in a row.

That said, if and when they drop one, I would immediately make the following changes:

Laughton-Giroux-Schenn
Read-Couturier-Simmonds
Raffl-Cousins-Voracek
VandeVelde-Bellemare-McDonald

With White and Umberger due back soon, you can then replace McDonald or VandeVelde with Umberger and healthy scratch White unless Cousins or Laughton play themselves off roster.

Bottom line, we have to create an actual 4th line around Bellemare and a 3rd line we can use around some combination of Laughton, Cousins, Voracek, Raffl, White, and Umberger.

So many holes.

:help:

Origina1Master

Mar 15, 2015

I agree with this. I think the NHL should start taking more action, even if it's not an intentionally bad hit like this one. My biggest gripe though is that they shouldn't just start doing this against our players, when we've had questionable hits against our players that have gone unpunished (this season even).

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
I agree with this. I think the NHL should start taking more action, even if it's not an intentionally bad hit like this one. My biggest gripe though is that they shouldn't just start doing this against our players, when we've had questionable hits against our players that have gone unpunished (this season even).

There are fundamental flaws right now both with refereeing and at the DoPS level. Like several have alluded to, there is zero consistency in what is called on ice as well as the DoPS rulings. In my little mind, the NHL has to issue a full-stop notification including criteria for infractions to which they have asked refs to pay particular attention. They have to use vocabulary that minimizes the underlying "our refs are doing a crap job calling penalties" message. As well, someone has to walk over the DoPS HQ and tell Stephane Quintal and his cronies to start handing down consistent and meaningful suspensions.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Be interesting if he is out who they call up.

Hope its Hagg or Morin (or even Alt).

But its the Flyers..I expect Drewiske

Drewiske makes Manning look like a top pairing defenseman.
doubt it would be Morin. remember how Hextall felt last year when we had Ghost up in his first year of pro hockey. Of course it may not matter if Schultz is ready to go tomorrow night.

Origina1Master

Mar 15, 2015
There are fundamental flaws right now both with refereeing and at the DoPS level. Like several have alluded to, there is zero consistency in what is called on ice as well as the DoPS rulings. In my little mind, the NHL has to issue a full-stop notification including criteria for infractions to which they have asked refs to pay particular attention. They have to use vocabulary that minimizes the underlying "our refs are doing a crap job calling penalties" message. As well, someone has to walk over the DoPS HQ and tell Stephane Quintal and his cronies to start handing down consistent and meaningful suspensions.

I agree, well said.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad