Post-Game Talk: #24: Saturday, Nov. 28, 2015, Flyers at Rangers

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
He's also their best power forward, part of the leadership group, one of their few truly tough players, young enough to part of a future contending team, and on a great contract.

Just because someone is a great trade chip, doesn't mean they should be traded.

Not saying I WOULDN'T trade him if the right deal came along, but I don't think he is being shopped.

we have no one in the system that can do what he does and in all honesty few can do what he does in the nhl.

No way i trade him. He as well as this team have been in a funk. That line has not been productive and yesterday was a display of what he is capable of .

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
By the time this team is good again Simmonds' contract will be running out & the chances of him still being a consistent 25-30 goal scorer going beyond that aren't high.

I'm still looking to trade Simmonds this offseason if I was Hextall. It really has nothing to do with if he's playing well or not & more to do with how this team is constructed as of now.

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
This team will be good in two seasons.

By then, Simmonds will only have one season before he's an UFA. This is definitely the highest Simmonds' trade value will be. Do you really want to re-sign/extend Simmonds? The next contract will be bad.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
I love how when Simmonds plays one great game people use that as an example not to trade him. I think he is a quality player but he is one that the flyers would do better with by trading him in some sort of deal.

bb12

Aug 21, 2014
USA
I love how when Simmonds plays one great game people use that as an example not to trade him. I think he is a quality player but he is one that the flyers would do better with by trading him in some sort of deal.

I'm torn on the simmonds trade train. I love him but we don't have a replacement. Ya white, McDonald and a few other guys in our organization bang and use their bodies but we aren't exactly a big tough team. Outside of Jake and simmonds we don't have any big power forwards in our top 9 and even our 4th line has 1, so we have 3. 1 (white) doesn't score and Jake is big and strong but doesn't bang.

That being said, i would want a big young forward, maybe crouse or I'd look to move him for a pure goal scorer if we drafted a power forward this year or iirc linbolm is relatively big?

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
I'm torn on the simmonds trade train. I love him but we don't have a replacement. Ya white, McDonald and a few other guys in our organization bang and use their bodies but we aren't exactly a big tough team. Outside of Jake and simmonds we don't have any big power forwards in our top 9 and even our 4th line has 1, so we have 3. 1 (white) doesn't score and Jake is big and strong but doesn't bang.

That being said, i would want a big young forward, maybe crouse or I'd look to move him for a pure goal scorer if we drafted a power forward this year or iirc linbolm is relatively big?

The point in trading Simmonds is to cash in on his highest value in order to improve forward depth. The package should have upside to provide more value than Simmonds alone in a couple of years.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Simmonds should be on a playoff team. If we aren't going to be a playoff team this year and maybe next year as well, then you have to start seeing what playoff teams like Montreal would pay for him.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Simmonds should be on a playoff team. If we aren't going to be a playoff team this year and maybe next year as well, then you have to start seeing what playoff teams like Montreal would pay for him.

he is built for the playoffs. There are many teams i could see him on. Rangers, caps, florida, cbus, montreal, chicago, and edmonton.

If we are to trade him, this seems like the year to do it, and with the lucic trade being a blueprint we could really get a great haul

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Wouldn't RNH be the speedy 2C we are lacking?

His cap number is big so a cap dump would have to go back with Simmonds. Maybe Umberger, or you could include Ference and MacDonald in the trade.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia

His cap number is big so a cap dump would have to go back with Simmonds. Maybe Umberger, or you could include Ference and MacDonald in the trade.

he would be technically but ive seen him a ton and have never been a fan of his. Maybe he would look better as a 2c but even then im not crazy about a 6mill cap hit for a 2c.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006

Yeah, but Simmonds wouldn't be the centerpiece, or at least not the only good piece going the other way. I would think Sanheim or Provorov would need to be included. RNH may end up being the odd man out in Edmonton, but he's still a really good player. McDavid and Draisaitl just compliment each other so well.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
If Edmonton trades RNH, they will look to acquire an established young top pairing defensemen like a Seth Jones.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

I love how when Simmonds has a slow start everyone wants to trade him, completely ignoring the player he had been for us the past several years.

Again, im not saying hes untouchable. I just wouldnt trade him unless someone outside the Division is willing to overpay. Im not trading him in a "fair deal."

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
I love how when Simmonds has a slow start everyone wants to trade him, completely ignoring the player he had been for us the past several years.

Again, im not saying hes untouchable. I just wouldnt trade him unless someone outside the Division is willing to overpay. Im not trading him in a "fair deal."

I don't think anyone is ignoring the quality of player he is but more so that the team would benefit in the long run by trading him now while his value is high. He would be sorely missed on the team but Simmonds isn't the player this team needs right now.

Delete99991

May 9, 2013
How to people feel about Simmonds for Draisaitl as the basis for a deal.

Is that a non-starter from EDM's point of view?

Apologies, haven't closely followed Leon's progress the past 12 months

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad