23rd Overall - Conner Bleackley

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
Congrats on the steal of the draft :handclap::handclap::handclap:

I saw a ton of Bleackley this and absolutly love him:

I had him as my #4 prospect out of the WHL:

Here's what I wrote:

Whats his defensive game like? Is he someone that is really physical and uses his body quite a bit? Have a good active stick? Shot blocker? Puck thief? Aggressive on the puck or someone who sits back and plays it safe? Strong enough to control guys around the net? Stupid penalties? Etc, etc, etc. Dare i say Selke ceiling?

What time line would you say before he is hitting the NHL? Sounds like he has the body, IQ and maturity to get there pretty quickly. Does his skating really need that much work?

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Since everyone is posting what they wrote, here is mine.

8. Connor Bleackley, C [Red Deer Rebels]
About: My love for Bleackley started three seasons ago when he was a rookie just appearing in 16 games. Watching him for the first time, I knew he was going to be a player to keep an eye on. Bleackley is a two-way forward who had enough character to be the Rebels captain as a 2014 draft eligible player. I think Landeskog was the last player to have this happen, and before him? Who knows? All I know is that it doesn’t happen often and proves how much work ethic/character Bleackley has. Connor another one of those players that is good at everything, not great at anything type of player. He has a good shot, good skating in terms of agility, great defensively, and focuses on the little details to win games. I have him here from 3rd because of questions of how high his offensive game will translate to the pros. If it can, he definitely could be a potential steal.
Comparison: Ryan O’Reilly

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Read this article on him the other day.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports...e+into+draft/9971259/story.html?__federated=1

“I’m a two-way centre,” says Bleackley. “I like to take pride in playing against the other teams’ top players. I use my hockey sense in the defensive zone to eliminate guys and anticipate plays. In the offensive zone, I’m a shot-first centre. But I can create space in the corners. I think that’s when I’m at my best — when I’m in the corner and using my power-forward game.”

Bleackley, a longtime fan of the Colorado Avalanche, admits he has taken note of his heroes’ draft slot — 23rd overall.

“I’ve thought about it a little bit,” says the kid, a shade over six feet and 193 pounds. “That would be really cool.”

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I love this pick. I've had him in my top 3 all along. Everything the Avs look for. He's a 17 year old captain, pays attention to details, has a high compete level, pays attention to his defensive game, nice shot and is a right handed shot too.

I'm not going to copy all of it but an excerpt from the Black Book.

Bleackley plays with high energy and is able to force turnovers with his good anticipation skiils and his high hockey IQ. He tested among the best of those competing at the Top Prospects game in leg strength and jumping exercises and he is able to translate that into a powerful stride. His skating continues to improve each and every month. His own zone reads are generally good, although like many young players, he is subject to losing his man in his own end from time to time. Bleackley has been a workhorse for the Rebels this season and while he is a solid two-way player, where he goes in the draft will be dependent on a team’s assessment of his offensive upside.

Quotable: “Connor was one of my favorite draft-eligible players this year. He competes hard, is a strong skater and has developed some offensive skill after being better known for his play away from the puck last season. He can be used anywhere in the lineup and will do anything to win.”

Last edited:

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Whats his defensive game like? Is he someone that is really physical and uses his body quite a bit? Have a good active stick? Shot blocker? Puck thief? Aggressive on the puck or someone who sits back and plays it safe? Strong enough to control guys around the net? Stupid penalties? Etc, etc, etc. Dare i say Selke ceiling?

What time line would you say before he is hitting the NHL? Sounds like he has the body, IQ and maturity to get there pretty quickly. Does his skating really need that much work?

Defense is very solid, very capable of taking on the tough zone starts and top competition. He blocks shots, and is very aggressive in his pursuit of the puck carrier. His defence is all hard work. He competes at both ends of the rink and that is his calling card. While he doesn't overpower with physicality he is not shy to use his frame to initiate contact. He is very aggressive, strong, and extremely competitive. As for a Selke ceiling, I think that's aiming a bit high but a very sound hard working two way #2 centre is well within his realm.

He will likely need go back to Red Deer to continue to work on his game, but with some good seasoning and work on his skating, he will be a staple in your team for years to come.

My NHL comparison is Bergeron from Boston.

Last edited:

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
As you can expect, love the pick. He plays as a C but I've said several times that he will have the ability to transition to the RW due to his hockey IQ. Skating is his biggest weakness, but it's not at a level to hold him back. Foot speed could be better, but it will come with time, and it won't be nearly as much of a potential issue if he moves to wing like I expect he might.

He's got an elite level wrist shot and release. Shoots hard, shoots often. Takes the puck to the net.

Compete is through the roof, works hard, has leadership capabilities and is the captain in Red Deer.

http://whl-from-above.blogspot.ca/

Just curious, who do you prefer for the Avs, Bleackley or Scherbak?

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
03GsXK4.jpg

HockeyFan100

Oct 7, 2012
Seems like a good pick but I don't know if the Avs needed another center. Would've preferred a winger or a D-man.

R S

Sep 18, 2006

He's not overly physical. He hits when he needs to, but he doesn't run around or get out of position to kill guys. He's smart with his physical play. His positioning is sound and he makes that possible due to extremely high hockey sense. He's very smart. He plays calm and doesn't take bad penalties. He's the kind of guy that at worst, projects to be a solid 3rd line center but has the skill to potentially be a top 6 winger.

He's also fairly close to NHL ready...much closer than guys usually are in the 20+ portion of the draft. It wouldn't shocked me at all if he's in our bottom 6 in 2015-16.

Just curious, who do you prefer for the Avs, Bleackley or Scherbak?

Impossible for me to pick...but if I had to, probably Scherbak. I had Scherbak 3rd on my ratings, Bleackley was 6th but there really wasn't a ton of separation between them. They're different players. Scherby is a dangler, a pure skill guy, a boom or bust guy. Bleackley is a guy that has the skill to be a top 6 player but if it doesn't work out, he's a legit 3rd line player who kills penalties and is a glue guy. He epitomizes the way Colorado drafts and is a perfect fit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad