23rd Overall - Conner Bleackley

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I'm happy with the pick. Hope he's as obsessed with improving as O'Reilly is.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
As you can expect, love the pick. He plays as a C but I've said several times that he will have the ability to transition to the RW due to his hockey IQ. Skating is his biggest weakness, but it's not at a level to hold him back. Foot speed could be better, but it will come with time, and it won't be nearly as much of a potential issue if he moves to wing like I expect he might.

He's got an elite level wrist shot and release. Shoots hard, shoots often. Takes the puck to the net.

Compete is through the roof, works hard, has leadership capabilities and is the captain in Red Deer.

#6 - Conner Bleackley - Red Deer Rebels - C - R - 6'1 - 195

Bleackley is the extremely well-rounded and talented captain of the Red Deer Rebels. He's a very smart player with a high-end level of hockey IQ, poise and leadership. His offensive game really developed this year, going from 18 points last year to 68 in 2013-14, including 29 goals. His offensive game is highlighted by both the ability to create plays and finish them, with his wrist shot release being extremely good. He plays like a true captain with a physical, rugged and gritty edge to his game. The main weakness that I have seen in his game has been his skating, which actually isn't that bad. He's not the most fleet of foot but doesn't show many flaws in his stride, making it an area that should improve with hard work and instruction. There might be some more concerns regarding his overall offensive potential, which is the main reason why I would have him behind Virtanen, although I wouldn't be shocked to see Bleackley end up as the better pro in 7-10 years. Depending on which team takes him, he might actually end up being a guy that can be converted to the right-wing if necessary.

NHL Style Comparison: Right-handed Gabriel Landeskog

Top End NHL Potential: Top 6 forward, NHL captain

Pick Prediction: 20-25 overall

23. Colorado Avalanche - Conner Bleackley - Red Deer Rebels - CR

The Colorado Avalanche stick with their motto in recent years, adding a character kid to their prospect pool. Bleackley is the captain of the Rebels and possesses a nice amount of grit and skill, with his shot release being a noted strength. Colorado likes these type of players and Bleackley could fit in nicely in the future as either a 3rd line centre or a top 9 right-winger due to his smarts and versatility.

If not Bleackley: David Pastrnak

http://whl-from-above.blogspot.ca/

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Satisfied with the pick. Would have preferred others, but Bleackley is a fairly safe bet to make the NHL.

jaisen73

Oct 5, 2006
Sounds like a solid pick. Glad they didn't try to take Brendan Lemeuix too early just for sentimental reasons.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I like it. Maybe a safe pick but it sounds like he'll be a perfect fit.

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Congrats on the steal of the draft :handclap::handclap::handclap:

I saw a ton of Bleackley this and absolutly love him:

I had him as my #4 prospect out of the WHL:

Here's what I wrote:

4 - Connor Bleackley - C - Red Deer Rebels
Every year there is one or two prospects from the Dub I just love. Last year it was Mirco Mueller, and this year it is Bleackley. He is by far the most underrated player in this draft. Bleackley is the type of player winning teams have. He plays a committed two-way game and brings his all every shift. Some have questioned his overall offensive upside, but I disagree. I came away impressed with his hands and finishing ability every time I watched him. He is also a natural leader, given the "C" as a 17 year old in Red Deer speaks volumes to his character. He has a winning attitude and I predict he rises to the top 15 on draft day.

Reactions: TheRarestDangles

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I want to see a video interview with Pracey. If he has that smile I know we got a good one.

PepsiCenterMagic

Food is Great
Jul 17, 2013
I saw some highlights. Looks like he has good puck skills, and uses his body to his advantage. Maybe PAP mixed with Landeskog.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad