Post-Game Talk: #23: Predators at Flyers, November 27, 2015

flyersjim73

Nov 19, 2011
Philly
I know Ghost isn't as big as the rest of the D, but I don't understand the people questioning his defensive play. He's as positionally sound as the other guys (if not more so), and while he can't move people as well as some of the bigger guys he has a better stick than any of them. If him and Medvedev are out there at the end of the game that game never goes to overtime.

Having said that, great finish in overtime. Other teams may know that play is coming but there really isn't much you can do about it. If you swing somebody extra up high to cover both ghost and voracek then it's a 2 on 1 down low. Really really tough play to stop when you've got a great passer like giroux and somebody that can wire the puck like ghost. Ghost is doing a great job of getting decent mustard on shots even when they're not perfectly in his wheel house as well.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Man, it's so weird that I actually cheer for the opposition to tie games late if it's close. I enjoy seeing Gostisbehere play 3v3 more than I enjoy this team winning games in regulation. :laugh:

The kid needs more 5v5 ice time. And he needs less of it with the rookie line of Laughton-Cousins-McDonald.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I love that the OT winner was exactly the same play as the last one vs Carolina! :laugh:

Though Giroux had to make a better pass this time... Nashville got in the lane better than Jay McClement who just got lost.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
I know Ghost isn't as big as the rest of the D, but I don't understand the people questioning his defensive play. He's as positionally sound as the other guys (if not more so), and while he can't move people as well as some of the bigger guys he has a better stick than any of them. If him and Medvedev are out there at the end of the game that game never goes to overtime.

Having said that, great finish in overtime. Other teams may know that play is coming but there really isn't much you can do about it. If you swing somebody extra up high to cover both ghost and voracek then it's a 2 on 1 down low. Really really tough play to stop when you've got a great passer like giroux and somebody that can wire the puck like ghost. Ghost is doing a great job of getting decent mustard on shots even when they're not perfectly in his wheel house as well.

Both radio guys criticized Ghost's defensive play late in today's game and Coates called it "scary" which I thought was a bit excessive.

Jaraco

Mar 13, 2014
California
Also, Neuvirth really loves ruining the tank for his team. He better watch out; he was traded for it last year.

Hurricane28

Angry Flyers STH/Weather Guy
Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey
Up until the OT winner, Ghost didn't have his best game. Made a few shaky plays in the defensive zone, one play he carried the puck right in front of his net, and got caught up with a forechecker right in front of Neuvirth, and once the play was blown dead, it was sort of a teaching moment for him. Neuvirth talked to him for a little bit then when he got to the bench one of the assistant coaches had a long talk with him.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Preconceived notions.

Before he put on a Flyers sweater, all anyone heard was that he can't play defense. So now all eyes are on him, every shift, and any mistake he makes, whether it is minor or not, is going to be magnified. His one-on-one play has been exceptional imo. He's playing his gaps really well. He's defending the blueline really well. He's had some miscues when the opposition has sustained pressure in our zone, but they are correctable and the personnel he's surrounded with doesn't exactly help.

tymed

Jun 11, 2007
British Columbia
Up until the OT winner, Ghost didn't have his best game. Made a few shaky plays in the defensive zone, one play he carried the puck right in front of his net, and got caught up with a forechecker right in front of Neuvirth, and once the play was blown dead, it was sort of a teaching moment for him. Neuvirth talked to him for a little bit then when he got to the bench one of the assistant coaches had a long talk with him.

Maybe he shouldn't have stepped in front but if medvedev didnt block him he would have most likely gotten it out. It was certainly more Meds fault on the play than his own, as he it was obvious what direction he was going after the forechecker chose his side of the net. If we're talking about the same play, that is.

MorgantiDrinksBlood

Dec 26, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
People have to understand there with be growing pains defensively with Ghost. What better time than now for him to have them? Guys absolutely incredible offensively, give his defense a chance to grow.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Preconceived notions.

Before he put on a Flyers sweater, all anyone heard was that he can't play defense. So now all eyes are on him, every shift, and any mistake he makes, whether it is minor or not, is going to be magnified. His one-on-one play has been exceptional imo. He's playing his gaps really well. He's defending the blueline really well. He's had some miscues when the opposition has sustained pressure in our zone, but they are correctable and the personnel he's surrounded with doesn't exactly help.

I agree 100%. People are hypersensitive about every tiny defensive mistake he makes because of his reputation of being a bit of an adventure defensively. But I think he's been good, he makes mistakes like literally every single player in the entire league does, but nothing excessive or alarming. Plus he's going to keep getting experience, learning his limitations, and getting better. It'll also help when he starts playing with better players.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Ghost defensive play was never criticized in college. It was just something that was assumed when he came to Philly because of his small stature.

Hurricane28

Angry Flyers STH/Weather Guy
Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey
I mean when he made mistakes tonight he quickly made up for them with his skating ability, and the most important thing was that he didn't get beat at all

blinds

Jan 5, 2012
Ghost defensive play was never criticized in college. It was just something that was assumed when he came to Philly because of his small stature.

It's hard for anyone labeled an offensive defenseman to shake the idea that they're poor defensively too. I agree, nothing too egregiously bad from Ghost. Especially considering the rest of our D.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
It's hard for anyone labeled an offensive defenseman to shake the idea that they're poor defensively too. I agree, nothing too egregiously bad from Ghost. Especially considering the rest of our D.

Very similar to Giroux. No one talks about his defense because he is elite offensively

Laveuglette

Le meilleur receveur de passes de tous les temps
Apr 5, 2011
Quebec
Ghost is an offensive-minded defenseman who will generate a lot of offense. We need a guy like him right now, we lack of good transition play and passes in offensive zone/offensive support from the D. Of course, like other offensive-D, he'll generate some turnovers too, because his type of play is more "risky". But overall, he'll do more good than harm. Some people will criticize him for his turnovers without looking at the offense he generates, just like they did with Matt Carle. But a player of this type is good to have despite the risks he may take. Keep him with the big club.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad