Rumor: 23-24 Trade Rumors and Free Agency Part Trois: The Road to the Deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Have we traded for Lindholm Monahan Mittelstadt Dowd Henrique Crosby yet?
We've been setting our sights too low. McDavid for MacDermid. Both guys were instrumental in their respective team's victories last night. However, since Kurtis has a few more letters in his name, Edmonton will have to retain on Connor to even things out.

AvsFan2123

Jan 21, 2014
Illinois
I have a 2nd line center in mind that I think would be better than Kadri here. Granted, he’s more than likely not available (although I believe they should make him available if the price is right). Plus his team has to see the writing on the wall. They’re old. Need to make a couple changes and do a quick rebuild. Joel Eriksson Ek. I’d pony tf up to pay for him and think he’d do wonders here. Signed to a very reasonable deal during our prime Cup window years. 2024 1st, one of Ritchie or Gulyayev, and a B level prospect like Behrens or JLF (his value probly not that high since he’s been hurt a lot) and whenever our next 2nd rounder is

The Moops

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2017
Earth
I have a 2nd line center in mind that I think would be better than Kadri here. Granted, he’s more than likely not available (although I believe they should make him available if the price is right). Plus his team has to see the writing on the wall. They’re old. Need to make a couple changes and do a quick rebuild. Joel Eriksson Ek. I’d pony tf up to pay for him and think he’d do wonders here. Signed to a very reasonable deal during our prime Cup window years. 2024 1st, one of Ritchie or Gulyayev, and a B level prospect like Behrens or JLF (his value probly not that high since he’s been hurt a lot) and whenever our next 2nd rounder is
Unless you have blackmail on Guerin, it's a no-go

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
You're like 2 months late to that party and you've now summoned a particularly exhausting Wild fan to come here and tell us how amazing the Wild Defense is and how they're actually the best team that ever existed.

:laugh:

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
You're like 2 months late to that party and you've now summoned a particularly exhausting Wild fan to come here and tell us how amazing the Wild Defense is and how they're actually the best team that ever existed.

:laugh:
Don't forget about all the Selkes...

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

I really wish that NHL GMs had balls to make big trades like the NBA does.

"Oh I can't trade this 3rd pairing D during the season! Have to wait until the offseason because reasons!"

Part of that is definitely the general conservatism of NHL GMs but part of it is also a hard cap system and a game that simply has a lot more players. NBA is a soft cap league (frankly I like the way they do it better). Generally there's just a ton more room for mistakes in the NBA as opposed to the NHL.

Reactions: The Moops

The Moops

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2017
Earth
Part of that is definitely the general conservatism of NHL GMs but part of it is also a hard cap system and a game that simply has a lot more players. NBA is a soft cap league (frankly I like the way they do it better). Generally there's just a ton more room for mistakes in the NBA as opposed to the NHL.
I just wish we'd see 1/10th the aggressiveness in NHL GMs. Seems like all they care about is taking naps.

The Moops

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2017
Earth
A lot of what happens in the NBA is superstar player driven, rather than GM driven.
To a degree yes, and while it is entertaining, it really hurts small-market teams too. However this particular example and Morey trying to get Durant out of Phoenix still show how aggressive NBA GMs are in general.

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO

💘 Jake Guentzel: Colorado Avalanche 💘

Who swipes left?
To Colorado: Jake Guentzel (50% retained), Alex Nedeljkovic
To Pittsburgh: 2024 1st Rd Pick, 2025 1st Rd Pick, 2025 3rd Rd Pick

The last player traded for multiple first-round picks was Brandon Hagel in 2022. Part of that was because Hagel had term on his deal at an insanely low cap hit relative to his production. From Chicago’s perspective, those were going to be very late first-round picks – which is what we’d believe these would also be from Colorado. Do we think Nathan MacKinnon cares about draft picks? Many people have been thinking for months now that Colorado would target a No. 2 center addition – and that’s still possible. But Valeri Nichushkin’s departure into the NHL/NHLPA Player Assistance program looms large. Coupled with the unknown status of Gabriel Landeskog, who is a possibility to return for the playoffs but no sure bet, the Avs’ forward group gets thin in a hurry. With Guentzel in the fold, and one or both of those two question markets back in the lineup, Colorado has a roster that might make them Stanley Cup favorites. If you squint hard enough, there is maybe a path forward to re-sign Guentzel too, although it’d be a stretch. Nonetheless, it’d be worth the swing for an elite scoring winger who can play on either side of the ice. (Plus Nedeljkovic has good numbers and two rounds of playoff experience if need be.)

Reactions: Bowe Byrum

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
NBA trades are the most convoluted things ever. And they have the magical buyout thing post deadline that the NHL doesn't have.
The broadcasts are at least getting away from the original team "drafting" a player even though they traded their pick 4 years prior.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese