Prospect Info: '22 WJC (CANCELED)

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
Also, we all talk about Smil, Sour, Sammy and Kos, but Ekmark and Puutio already made their WJC teams. We should have at least 4 prospects attending, probably 5, and possibly 6.

Sourdif CAN - round 3, 89 overall, 2020
Samoskevich USA - round 1, 29 overall, 2021
Smilanic USA - round 3, 74 overall, 2020
Kos CZE - round 6, 184 overall, 2021
Ekmark SWE - round 7, $190 overall, 2021
Puutio FIN - round five, 153 overall, 2020

Sun, Dec 26, 2021 – Wed, Jan 5, 2022
Edmonton and Red Deer, Alberta, Canada

I know Sourdif has made team Canada, not sure on the others yet.

Last edited:

Prominence Problem

Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
@The Nemesis
Nice little blurb about Sourdif in the Athletic. They talked about all the cuts and all the players that made the team.

"RW Justin Sourdif (Florida Panthers): Sourdif’s play in the summer camp worked him into the locks conversation from the outside and he remained there with his play as the top dog on the Vancouver Giants. It doesn’t hurt that Giants head coach Mike Dyck is an assistant on the Team Canada staff either. I suspect he ends up in a checking role on the third line. Of note in practice: Sourdif uses an unusually long stick but he’s still got a deceptive release, which is hard to create with that length. Part of it, I’ve noticed, is just that the puck comes off the blade early, surprising goalies."
Wheeler: Team Canada 2022 world junior selection camp notes, standouts and lineup projection
Nice little blurb I read today.

Reactions: pantherbot

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Sourdif CAN - round 3, 89 overall, 2020
Samoskevich USA - round 1, 29 overall, 2021
Smilanic USA - round 3, 74 overall, 2020
Kos CZE - round 6, 184 overall, 2021
Ekmark SWE - round 7, $190 overall, 2021
Puutio FIN - round five, 153 overall, 2020

Sun, Dec 26, 2021 – Wed, Jan 5, 2022
Edmonton and Red Deer, Alberta, Canada

I know Sourdif has made team Canada, not sure on the others yet.
Elmark made it earlier. Sammo and Our Second Rounder were named
To the camp

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
He doesn't like Swedes I guess(Heineman). So Smilanic is apparently our 2020 2nd rounder.
I just thought it was atrocious value that looked worse because we got steals for the other picks. Smilanic and Sourdif could have been late first rounders that year without Covid; Lundell should have went first overall

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
I just thought it was atrocious value that looked worse because we got steals for the other picks. Smilanic and Sourdif could have been late first rounders that year without Covid; Lundell should have went first overall

It wasn't atrocious value though, he was picked where expected.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
This is fake news.

He was ranked 69 in Bob McKenzie's final rankings, we picked him 43. It wasnt that big of a reach at all, especially considering how there are huge reaches at the draft all the time. He's got 8 goals in the SHL so far and projects to almost double his point total from last season in just under the same amount of games, while keeping the PIM low and being a pest. I really dont know what your problem with him is. He projects as a poor man's Bennett without the high PIMs.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
He was ranked 69 in Bob McKenzie's final rankings, we picked him 43. It wasnt that big of a reach at all, especially considering how there are huge reaches at the draft all the time. He's got 8 goals in the SHL so far and projects to almost double his point total from last season in just under the same amount of games, while keeping the PIM low and being a pest. I really dont know what your problem with him is. He projects as a poor man's Bennett without the high PIMs.
THird rounder drafted in second? Guy just doesn't have the skill I think you need for a NHLer

Anyways, Zito was a good used car salesman and got us some real value!

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
THird rounder drafted in second? Guy just doesn't have the skill I think you need for a NHLer

Anyways, Zito was a good used car salesman and got us some real value!

3rd ranked guy going in the 2nd? Happens all the time. We' ve seen 2nd-3rd ranked guys go in the 1st. It's called liking a player. There's nothing to suggest that he doesn't have the skill to be an NHLer. He's shown nice scoring progression from junior into the SHL. He should be at around 15 goals in his second SHL season. In fact, with his skillset he is as likely to be an NHLer as Sourdif and Smilanic. A great bottom 6er.

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
Is it confirmed that all six of those guys are going?
That's really, really impressive considering our best prospects have all graduated and we're in win-now mode.

Some teams don't have a single player going.

Reactions: harv33173

Prominence Problem

Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
Is it confirmed that all six of those guys are going?
That's really, really impressive considering our best prospects have all graduated and we're in win-now mode.

Some teams don't have a single player going.

Not confirm that all players are going. The players listed are trying out for their respective teams

Prominence Problem

Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
I'm looking, but I don't think team Czech Republic has announced their final roster yet. It's got to be soon, as the tournament starts on December 26th.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
I really liked Sourdiff since we drafted him. Very interested to see him play.

Reactions: harv33173

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad