GDT: #22: Rangers 0 at FLYERS 4, Friday, Nov. 23, 2018, 1:00 p.m. ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Aren't the Rangers suppose to be in a rebuild?

How are they this much better than the Flyers already?

Lundqvist and Georgiev, who have a .917 S% between them.
Goalies matter.

Rangers didn't wait to reload:
top forwards
Zibanejad - 7/18/16 (#6-11) & 2nd rd for Brassard
Hayes - FA 2014
Zuccarello - FA 2010, 2013
Kreider - #19-2009
Vesey - college FA 2016
Strome - (for Spooner, Nash trade)
Fast - #157-2010
Howden - (McDonagh & Miller)
Buchnevich - #75-2013
Chytil - #21-2017
Andersson - #7-2017 (Stephan, Raanta trade)

Defense:
Pionk - undrafted, signed out of college in May 2017
Skjei - #28-2012
DeAngelo - 6/23/17 with Az 2017 1st rd for Stepan and Raanta
Staal - #12-2005
Shattenkirk - FA 2017
Smith - 2/28/17 for 2017 3rd rd and 2018 2nd rd Ottawa obtained in Brassard trade

Goalie
Georgiev - UFA 2017

2/20/18 Boston 3rd 2018 for Holden
2/20/18 NJ 2nd 2018 for Grabner
2/25/18 Spooner (Strome) & Lindgren (#49-2016), Boston 1st 2018 for Nash
2/26/18 Howden, Namestinkov, Hajek (#37-2016) and TB 2018 1st rd for McDonagh & Miller

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Please keep embarrassing this puke GM on national TV.

Then need Leafs to put a 10 spot up, then maybe Hexy gets fired too. I won’t be content until he is held accountable.
And where are we finding this next GM who is just as good at team building/drafting AND is perfect with coaches?

Firing him would be a mistake, no matter how emotional you guys get.

magnumpi

Roger got goofy with Cancer
Apr 22, 2018
vryK7b2.jpg

personally, i'm rooting for this same pace the entire season.

Comcast has to ensure its fixed so we get the #1 pick

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
And where are we finding this next GM who is just as good at team building/drafting AND is perfect with coaches?

I mean would it?

It isn't like the GMs are really responsible for the draft. If you put that onto the scouts then, what has Hextall really done? Stick with horrendous coaches and actively avoid remedying the terrible goaltending situation, leaving us in perpetual mediocrity? I guess I've liked some of his trades and contracts, but overall, I think he is extremely replaceable.

magnumpi

Apr 22, 2018
We aint gonna get Hughes even if we are the worst in the league...the hockey gods gifted us the Patrick pick against huge odds already.

Its in the best interest of the league for the Flyers to be a top team. The Flyers do have cache.
I'm living in Phoenix at the moment and even some non hockey people know of the Flyers.

The league would be smart to gift us Hughes

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT

Hexy has been great in drafting but a lot of that success has to be credited to scouts and sheer number of picks in the first round in recent years.

Hexy has been mediocre at best evaluating free agent talent (Dale Weise, Michal Neuvirth, Christion Folin, ...) and building via trade. Taking back dead capspace only works at the very beginning of a rebuild, until it starts cancelling out the good effects of the assets acquired.
... and then there is the selection of the coaching team that has been really really bad.

Maybe the Flyers should make Hextall the new director of International scouting and draft?

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004

He may not be fired today, and he shouldn't. But if he chooses to ride it out with his boy, I could give 2 shits about his drafting as the damage will have been done.

I just sent an email to the Flyers, I cant believe it has come to this.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Its in the best interest of the league for the Flyers to be a top team. The Flyers do have cache.
I'm living in Phoenix at the moment and even some non hockey people know of the Flyers.

The league would be smart to gift us Hughes

The Flyers have become irrelevant, TSN and Sportsnet barely even mention them anymore, good or bad. They normally will at least talk about the awful teams, we have become invisible.

Reactions: Rebels57

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I mean would it?

It isn't like the GMs are really responsible for the draft. If you put that onto the scouts then, what has Hextall really done? Stick with horrendous coaches and actively avoid remedying the terrible goaltending situation, leaving us in perpetual mediocrity? I guess I've liked some of his trades and contracts, but overall, I think he is extremely replaceable.
Fact is the drafting is better now than before he was GM, so it seems he has an impact.

And the bold is imaginary. A lack of action isn't the same as a lack of effort.

He may not be fired today, and he shouldn't. But if he chooses to ride it out with his boy, I could give 2 ****s about his drafting as the damage will have been done.

The drafting and roster building is more important than coaching.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Fact is the drafting is better now than before he was GM, so it seems he has an impact.

We can't keep saying that every year while our franchise star player is being wasted.

magnumpi

Apr 22, 2018
The Flyers have become irrelevant, TSN and Sportsnet barely even mention them anymore, good or bad. They normally will at least talk about the awful teams, we have become invisible.

have to hope for something

anyway, im speaking more in terms of like the cowboys/raiders in the nfl. The Flyers are reconizable name even to people who don't follow hockey. There was a mystique,, but sadly like the raiders that mystique is gone

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey

Is drafting better? Or have they had more/better picks?

Genuine question.

EDIT: Because off the top of my head I don't really notice a difference besides the potential of new shiny toys as opposed to hindsight.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Is drafting better? Or have they had more/better picks?

Genuine question.

The first round picks have always been pretty good, but I'm more talking about outside of the first round. Our depth drafting has been much better.

And yeah, number of picks is also important, but that's thanks to Hextall too.

Either way, my point is I'm very happy with the majority of what Hextall has done, outside of the coaching disaster. Personally, I place more value on those GM responsibilities than the coaching since I think they're more difficult, take longer, and will have a bigger effect on our future, so I still don't want him fired.

magnumpi

Apr 22, 2018
We can't keep saying that every year while our franchise star player is being wasted.

The farm system has never been better.
But, I think one of the problems is that there is no special talent. We haven/t been able to get our hands on a crown jewel. Provorov is probably the highest end talent. But I wouldn't classify him as a game changer.

I keep repeating myself but if the Flyers drafted someone like Jack Hughes the entire dynamics of the team's future would change. A single talent like Hughes would make all the other future pieces fit perfectly.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
The farm system has never been better.
But, I think one of the problems is that there is no special talent. We haven/t been able to get our hands on a crown jewel. Provorov is probably the highest end talent. But I wouldn't classify him as a game changer.

I keep repeating myself but if the Flyers drafted someone like Jack Hughes the entire dynamics of the team's future would change. A single talent like Hughes would make all the other future pieces fit perfectly.

We said that when we magically got Nolan Patrick.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
No it's not. Not at all.

Drafting is just as important as coaching and player development for long term success.
Player development still occurs in spite of the coach, as has been proven by Ghost, Provorov, TK, Sanheim, Patrick, Lindblom, etc.

What Hakstol is doing is limiting their impact with stupid usage, but he's not ruining the players or stopping them from improving. If we magically got a good coach today, I'd bet we see those players suddenly look improved, just by proper usage and a superior system.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Player development still occurs in spite of the coach, as has been proven by Ghost, Provorov, TK, Sanheim, Patrick, Lindblom, etc.

What Hakstol is doing is limiting their impact with stupid usage, but he's not ruining the players or stopping them from improving. If we magically got a good coach today, I'd bet we see those players suddenly look improved, just by proper usage and a superior system.

Agree, our players will look like they do when down 4 goals, the difference would be immediate.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Agree, our players will look like they do when down 4 goals, the difference would be immediate.
And its precisely during those times that we see just how good the roster actually is, if not held back.

THATS why I'm happy with the job Hextalls done (outside of coaching, obviously). I have faith in these players... we've seen this rosters potential. Now we just need a coach who doesn't hide it.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
And its precisely during those times that we see just how good the roster actually is, if not held back.

THATS why I'm happy with the job Hextalls done (outside of coaching, obviously). I have faith in these players... we've seen this rosters potential. Now we just need a coach who doesn't hide it.

We are on the same page, I have just reached my breaking point with all of it. Giroux is in my top 5 of all Time, and I hate seeing him wasted.

magnumpi

Apr 22, 2018
We said that when we magically got Nolan Patrick.

But Hughes is notches above Patrick.

Hughes
Patrick as the top 2 centers would be great

One of my points here is that if you added someone like Hughes, there's already a team built here.

When the Flyers acquired Lindros, the entire team still needed to be built.

I'm not saying this as easy as snapping your fingers to get someone like that. But if the Flyers found a way to acquire that player then you would not be far away from having your finished team of the future.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
We are on the same page, I have just reached my breaking point with all of it. Giroux is in my top 5 of all Time, and I hate seeing him wasted.
Completely understandable... it's been so painful to watch for so long.

And yeah, Giroux is my favorite Flyer ever (never watched Clarke or Lindros) so it realllllly sucks to watch such an incredible player have to carry so hard and it all be for nothing. How many decades until we have a player this good again? Just awful timing for him.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad