Post-Game Talk: #22 | Hurricanes at Flyers | November 28, 2023 | Loss 4-1

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
Flyers averaging 1 goal scored a game over the last 4 games for those keeping track at home.
This is going to be a problem until they incorporate more talent. It’s not like last season, where they were dressing two or three non-NHL players. Most of the roster are NHL players and can play; however they don’t have enough talent to consistently go toe to toe with top end teams.

What also isn’t helping is the deployment. Brink and Farabee with Poehling makes no sense. Choosing Hathaway over Farabee on the PP makes no sense. Frost and Atkinson looked good for one preseason game, but since looked like shit. Notwithstanding his assist last night, stapling Foerster next to Couts despite his lack of scoring and playing him 15-16 min a night at 5v5.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Staal, Risto, and Deslauriers

34Dg.gif

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
The issue isn’t even playing him. It’s men in the organization that decided he was a good addition based on skill/intangible evaluations.

It’s those men who have lurked in the shadows for so long without accountability that have been my biggest target for years now.

Torts is trash, but it goes so far beyond him.
The entire organ-EYE-zation is designed to fail:
The CEO worships Clarkie and the Bullies
The President is a good old boy doofus
The GM trained under the woefully incompetent Cuck and the fat ass assistant GM worships size and grit
The HC is an arrogant POS dinosaur who has no conception of how the modern game is played and his assistants are mouth breathing sycophants.

It’s really not surprising that this illustrious group is failing miserably.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
I was also thinking about the defensive pairs. During Torts pre-game press conference, he said that Sanheim is going to remain on the right side for the foreseeable future. The reason was two-fold, 1) to keep York on the left, and 2) that when Sanheim plays on the right side, it opens up the offensive zone for him.....Fast forward not even 24 hrs, and at the end of the game Sanheim was on the left side with Walker. The end of the game where they were trailing, trying to tie the game. Dude, 4 hours ago you said Sanheim is best offensively on the right side, so naturally when you're trailing in a game you would want to maximize offensive talent, right? He talks about wanting to win games, and how that is the priority, but then does that type of shit.

That wasn't the only head scratching decision last night. He puts his defacto second-best offensive center in Frost (Frost was not good last night -- and by Torts own admission, he wasn't the only one), with Deslauriers. Dude, you're actively making it harder for the team to score goals. I'm not trying to be an asshole, but it NEVER makes sense with Torts.

And my favorite part about last night's post-game presser came after a question from Charlie. He basically asked with Cates out, is this an opportunity for other skaters to remain in the lineup. Torts first responded by saying, yes this is an opportunity, but said he's not going to wait if things aren't working out. Said he's not threatening anyone in particular, but he wants to see more from certain people, and that they won't have the whole time time that Cates is out to work. If it's not working they will go another way...The only two people that have been scratched with any regularity have been Frost and Brink. You can say it's not a threat, but you're already laying down the gauntlet here. You're already putting these players in a mindset that, 'I can't f*** up, or I'm out of the lineup.' That worked so well for Frost last year in the first 20 games of the season, didn't it?

CerpinTaxt

Apr 1, 2009
KY
If only the islanders could have scored one lousy goal the other night. The annual 10-game losing streak would finally be underway.
Can't you just enjoy when this mediocre team built by a failing organization wins hockey games? Theyre building a culture here getting back to the good ole days except for having good players like the Flyers used to.

Last edited:

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
The GM trained under the woefully incompetent Cuck and the fat ass assistant GM worships size and grit
The HC is an arrogant POS dinosaur who has no conception of how the modern game is played and his assistants are mouth breathing sycophants.

It's not going to end until the team is sold. Which might never happen.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
I was also thinking about the defensive pairs. During Torts pre-game press conference, he said that Sanheim is going to remain on the right side for the foreseeable future. The reason was two-fold, 1) to keep York on the left, and 2) that when Sanheim plays on the right side, it opens up the offensive zone for him.....Fast forward not even 24 hrs, and at the end of the game Sanheim was on the left side with Walker. The end of the game where they were trailing, trying to tie the game. Dude, 4 hours ago you said Sanheim is best offensively on the right side, so naturally when you're trailing in a game you would want to maximize offensive talent, right? He talks about wanting to win games, and how that is the priority, but then does that type of shit.

That wasn't the only head scratching decision last night. He puts his defacto second-best offensive center in Frost (Frost was not good last night -- and by Torts own admission, he wasn't the only one), with Deslauriers. Dude, you're actively making it harder for the team to score goals. I'm not trying to be an asshole, but it NEVER makes sense with Torts.

And my favorite part about last night's post-game presser came after a question from Charlie. He basically asked with Cates out, is this an opportunity for other skaters to remain in the lineup. Torts first responded by saying, yes this is an opportunity, but said he's not going to wait if things aren't working out. Said he's not threatening anyone in particular, but he wants to see more from certain people, and that they won't have the whole time time that Cates is out to work. If it's not working they will go another way...The only two people that have been scratched with any regularity have been Frost and Brink. You can say it's not a threat, but you're already laying down the gauntlet here. You're already putting these players in a mindset that, 'I can't f*** up, or I'm out of the lineup.' That worked so well for Frost last year in the first 20 games of the season, didn't it?
In response to this post and the one of yours that is above it, this is all good news. It's getting obvious that Tortorella has no clue as for what to do with this lineup. Forward lines that make no sense + ridiculous defensive pairings + PP and PK malfunctions = losses. If this trend continues, Torts will have lost the room by Xmas and will be that much closer to walking away from the team. The season is like watching a train wreck in slow motion. Soon the fans will see this for what it is. First will come the booing. Then they'll stop coming.

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
It's not going to end until the team is sold. Which might never happen.
sadly this is correct

In response to this post and the one of yours that is above it, this is all good news. It's getting obvious that Tortorella has no clue as for what to do with this lineup. Forward lines that make no sense + ridiculous defensive pairings + PP and PK malfunctions = losses. If this trend continues, Torts will have lost the room by Xmas and will be that much closer to walking away from the team. The season is like watching a train wreck in slow motion. Soon the fans will see this for what it is. First will come the booing. Then they'll stop coming.
you should brace for Torts failing upwards.

cuz its whats gunna happen

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg

He can lose the room, but that’s irrelevant.

He’s got so much support in the org that they won’t fire him for a long time. They will rid themselves of players before moving on from him.

It was shit with Hak/Hex. Worse with Fletcher/Vigneault.

This team isn’t moving in a better direction. It’s unfortunate, but Comcast is very much the primary issue here. They have no clue what they age doing.

Ironmanrulez

#nEvErrEbUiLd #nEvErpLaYyOuTh #nEverpLaYsKiLL
Jul 1, 2010
Cologne, Germany
@bennysflyers16

Not bad actually for a Tuesday game. I’d say 80% full for sure? Was that hockey fights cancer night so maybe drew them out.

The crowd is ready to get loud, but I find the team just so stagnant. Not really physical. No real exciting guys.

It’s just vanilla as f*** the product Chevy has built. If they aren’t going to rebuild, they need to spend some picks to improve this lineup. The core isn’t amazing but you are letting them just age out without any help.
I actually watched 30 minutes of this game.

Yeah i know its shocking.

But i can explain it. I have corona since 1 week, and all my freetime in front of my computer drived me to watch this shit.

1. This team has ZERO identity
2. This team has ZERO wow factor, its boring throughout the lineup
3. This team has ONE player who is able to create on his own (Konecny)
4. This team has a few players who are able to play solid top 6/ top 4 minutes (Konecny, Farabee, Couts, Sanheim, York)
5. This team has 2 young players who are able to develop top 6 (if they would be trusted and play in rythm) --> Frost and Brink

All other players are 3rd line players or not NHL at all.

Its so pathetic they think they are on a good way.

It wasnt worth to watch this shit. Its worse than Corona!

This is going to be a problem until they incorporate more talent. It’s not like last season, where they were dressing two or three non-NHL players. Most of the roster are NHL players and can play; however they don’t have enough talent to consistently go toe to toe with top end teams.

What also isn’t helping is the deployment. Brink and Farabee with Poehling makes no sense. Choosing Hathaway over Farabee on the PP makes no sense. Frost and Atkinson looked good for one preseason game, but since looked like shit. Notwithstanding his assist last night, stapling Foerster next to Couts despite his lack of scoring and playing him 15-16 min a night at 5v5.
Foerster ist the new Cates. No offensive output, but he is doing anything else right, so he gets all minutes with Couts ^^

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
Maybe it's good news. The problem is that it's only obvious to like 15 people, and 12 of those 15 post on this site. Of those 12, only like 4 watch the team. The rest have all checked out justifiably so btw. I

The beats, apart from Bill, seem content on lobbing Torts softball questions. They haven't once yet tried to ask him even a remotely difficult question. And when they do, Torts shits on it and they don't do anything to follow-up.

I can't really speak to the room. I hope they can read between his bullshit

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
He can lose the room, but that’s irrelevant.

He’s got so much support in the org that they won’t fire him for a long time. They will rid themselves of players before moving on from him.

It was shit with Hak/Hex. Worse with Fletcher/Vigneault.

This team isn’t moving in a better direction. It’s unfortunate, but Comcast is very much the primary issue here. They have no clue what they age doing.

Yep. They're building around Tortorella. They're stupid.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
Foerster ist the new Cates. No offensive output, but he is doing anything else right, so he gets all minutes with Couts ^^
Its pretty frustrating for sure. Foerster has real talent and offensive pedigree. He's good offensively, just been snake bitten a bit. I would imagine he'll have a great 2nd half of the season.

With that being said, his 5v5 icetime has been trending up. He's playing more and more, despite not generating points. I'm all for allowing youngers to play through it, particularly in rebuild seasons, but it's very clear he's a 'torts guy'. He's going to get more icetime because of it.

Ironmanrulez

#nEvErrEbUiLd #nEvErpLaYyOuTh #nEverpLaYsKiLL
Jul 1, 2010
Cologne, Germany
Its pretty frustrating for sure. Foerster has real talent and offensive pedigree. He's good offensively, just been snake bitten a bit. I would imagine he'll have a great 2nd half of the season.

With that being said, his 5v5 icetime has been trending up. He's playing more and more, despite not generating points. I'm all for allowing youngers to play through it, particularly in rebuild seasons, but it's very clear he's a 'torts guy'. He's going to get more icetime because of it.
i also believe that he has potential. And i also want young players to get playing time. Its more about double standard. But i havent choose the right words ;D I like your wording more!

Reactions: VladDrag

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries

They're so dependent on rush scoring. The skillsets of the wingers are so redundant, they just don't have a way to be consistently dangerous in the offensive zone.

They have a ton of guys that can finish off of quick strikes caused by turnovers. But if those opportunities aren't there, they just don't have a way of generating chances and the goal scoring plummets.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
I don't see much in the way of FO change this year. They don't have to succeed on ice because this is a "rebuilding" year and, like @VladDrag said, none of the beats will call Tortorella out on icing a non-rebuilding lineup. They will almost certainly cool off throughout the season but this will likely devalue players who should be moved at the TDL, so I am expecting "We didn't get any interest in what we thought X is worth" to justify only minor roster changes or maybe even a Walker signing.

As for losing the room, to whom is Tortorella going to lose it? The vets he is overplaying?

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

Farabee has got a good amount of ice time, but somehow is averaging a second less than the unproductive rookie. And Farabee has been stuck with Cates, Laughton and Poehling as his main centers. It's a masterclass in poor coaching to not stick Farabee with either Couturier or Frost and leave him there.

Foerster: 13:24 ES TOI/GP, 0.64 ESP/60

Farabee: 13:23 ES TOI/GP, 2.85 ESP/60

Shrike

Dec 5, 2019

1701290395944.jpeg

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
Farabee has got a good amount of ice time, but somehow is averaging a second less than the unproductive rookie. And Farabee has been stuck with Cates, Laughton and Poehling as his main centers. It's a masterclass in poor coaching to not stick Farabee with either Couturier or Frost and leave him there.

When you look at the whole season in totality, Farabee is averaging about the same amount of ice time at 5v5, but it's in two different ways. Foerster started around 11min at 5v5, but is now playing 15min per night. Farabee as kind of hovered around 13min all year.

You can see the icetime distribution below. It's all-strength icetime, but trust me, it looks the same.

1701291238225.png

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

Apparently Tortorella and Farabee aren't fans of each other, so I'm sure that's related.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad