Post-Game Talk: #22: Flyers at Islanders, November 25, 2015

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Hell yeah. Problem is he can't do it all by himself so at some point one of these guys will need to get their heads out of their ***** and start helping him out. Especially if Hakstol keeps doing everything in his power to keep Ghost away from Giroux at 5v5...

It is insane that he even has the production he does at this stage, here are the guys he has been out on ice with most at 5v5 this year and their total goals (not 5v5 goals):

Voracek: 1 goal
Raffl : 1 goal
Del Zotto: 0 goals
Streit: 3 goals
Schultz: 0 goals
Gudas: 0 goals
L. Schenn: 2 goals

7 most common guys he sees ice with have 7 goals between them. :shakehead

At 5v5 Giroux has been on ice for 5 goals for... he has scored 4 of them! :laugh: WTF, how is that possible, the guy is one of the best play-makers on earth!

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
It is insane that he even has the production he does at this stage, here are the guys he has been out on ice with most at 5v5 this year and their total goals (not 5v5 goals):

Voracek: 1 goal
Raffl : 1 goal
Del Zotto: 0 goals
Streit: 3 goals
Schultz: 0 goals
Gudas: 0 goals
L. Schenn: 2 goals

At 5v5 Giroux has been on ice for 5 goals for... he has scored 4 of them! :laugh: WTF, how is that possible, the guy is one of the best play-makers on earth!

And it sure as **** isn't because of a lack of opportunities, he's setting these guys up left and right (sometimes giving up a prime scoring chance to do so) but they're just wasting every chance.

We have one of the best players in the game but the team around him is letting him down so hard.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Im not watching another game with Manning in the lineup. Life is too short.

Hurricane28

Angry Flyers STH/Weather Guy
Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey
Consistency has been an issue with officiating that really is pissing me off, not just with the Flyers, but the whole NHL. It's all about keep the scales even, not calling penalties as they see them, Flyers had 5 PPs to the Isles 2 I believe at that time but no way you can blame that game on officiating. Flyers probably weren't going to score anyway.

Another poor game but I guess it's what to expect now

Hurricane28

Angry Flyers STH/Weather Guy
Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey
Can we please give Voracek some legitamate linemates too? Put him with Leier and Laughton instead of McDonald in that spot

Swic21

Jan 8, 2012
Canada
Anyone else find it funny that we need to find offense, yet they call up CMcD instead of Cousins or Straka? I know the reasoning was since they lost a bottom 6 guy, they wanted another bottom 6 guy to replace Gagner. We're in a rebuild, Straka is 23 years old, let the guy play.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Anyone else find it funny that we need to find offense, yet they call up CMcD instead of Cousins or Straka? I know the reasoning was since they lost a bottom 6 guy, they wanted another bottom 6 guy to replace Gagner. We're in a rebuild, Straka is 23 years old, let the guy play.

Goes back to what has been the biggest dissapointment so far and the reason fans like us are so ornery despite knowing they arent a playoff team: bad coaching

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
I mean look at the wingers. Only one has more than 3 goals this season. Is there any team in the league with worse wingers right now?
We have good center depth, but on wing it's just bad.

You're right, but to nitpick a bit, we have terrible center depth, but we have a great center lineup. Giroux-Couturier-Laughton-PEB is a pretty great two-way lineup of centers, but as soon as one of them gets injured we have quite literally zero ability to replace them anywhere near adequately from the minors or from inside the active roster. If any of those four regress or leave or get injured our center lineup gets to feel more like our winger lineup, especially to Couturier or Giroux.

The wingers are pretty terrible though, that's mostly due to regression. Read has fallen off a cliff the last couple seasons, Voracek is falling down to Earth hard as well as just having his fair share of bad luck this season, and Simmonds' production tends to go as the PP goes. After those three it's a bunch of players who kind of blend together in my mind, aside from Schenn but the complaints about him are well known and he bounces around the lineup like a ping-pong ball anyways.

PK16

Jul 28, 2013
I know it has been said repeatedly, but Hakstol has to figure out how to make this team at least somewhat of a threat to score at even strength. The lack of even strength scoring has gotten ridiculous. I'm not seeing how Hakstol is an improvement over Berube...the results certainly don't seem to support it.

Delete99991

May 9, 2013
You're right, but to nitpick a bit, we have terrible center depth, but we have a great center lineup. Giroux-Couturier-Laughton-PEB is a pretty great two-way lineup of centers,

The jury is definitely out on Laughton.

Certainly not playing like a great 3c now, and I'm a little less confident the upside is there than I was in September.

boxcar65

Sep 24, 2007
Richmond, VA
Gudas, Schenn, and Schultz make just as many mistakes as Manning during a game, and yet they get a free pass. Can someone please tell me why? Maybe it's because everyone is focusing on every little thing Manning does, just waiting for him to make an error.

He had one horrible turnover in his own end and maybe one or two other plays up the boards that went to the Isles. Hello....so did every single one of our other D men. No one ever comments when he makes a decent play, which I did see several of last night.

#23 will continue to be the whipping boy on this board. I know he supposedly gets the "easy" minutes, but to say you would rather see AMac? Come on. He is softer than tissue paper.

Like everyone has said, our entire D is below average right now. Ghost is learning, but he is making his share of rookie mistakes as well. We can't blame one guy for a bad team effort on the backline.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
The jury is definitely out on Laughton.

Certainly not playing like a great 3c now, and I'm a little less confident the upside is there than I was in September.

Agreed.

Remember what most of us thought with Laughton? We thought that if he could come in and take on the defensive role, that would free up Couts off his leash. But that has not happened.

But Laughton also has not taken the role of scoring C either. And thar is concerning. I know he has not been getting the icetime or often plays with non- trusted wingers, but he needs to do more.

That's our issue at C. We have 1sciribg C, 1 shutdiwn, and then really 2 4th line C. Change that 2nd 2th line C into a scoring C and it makes a big difference. But for sure Hakstol's coaching is not allowing this either. Our 4th line plays too much....essentially playing as our 3rd line.

We only ice 1 line who's role it is to score. Shocking that we are struggling to score.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
This team looked much improved at the start of the season. The fundamentals were right, work ethic was there.

At some point something went terribly wrong and I'm getting the feeling that neither Hakstol nor Hextall know what's going on in the locker room.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Desperate to scoring so call up a 4 th liner, we can call up Stratka and play him at LW with G easily as Raffl is just as much as a 4 th line r as anyone they call up.

Stratka G Brayden
Read Couts Jake
Leier Laught Simmer
Raffl PEB VV

We are desperate for any fwd with goal scoring ability. Raffl can rot on 4 th line or join Vinny at the popcorn line

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Gudas, Schenn, and Schultz make just as many mistakes as Manning during a game, and yet they get a free pass. Can someone please tell me why? Maybe it's because everyone is focusing on every little thing Manning does, just waiting for him to make an error.

He had one horrible turnover in his own end and maybe one or two other plays up the boards that went to the Isles. Hello....so did every single one of our other D men. No one ever comments when he makes a decent play, which I did see several of last night.

#23 will continue to be the whipping boy on this board. I know he supposedly gets the "easy" minutes, but to say you would rather see AMac? Come on. He is softer than tissue paper.

Like everyone has said, our entire D is below average right now. Ghost is learning, but he is making his share of rookie mistakes as well. We can't blame one guy for a bad team effort on the backline.

Gudas, Schenn, and Schultz get a free pass? Are you legally blind? People shiit on all the defensemen constantly. You just don't see it because you're so obsessed with that piece of trash Manning. :laugh:

It's pathetic that on this defense he's still so clearly the worst of the bunch. The only reason he's playing over MacDonald is because of his cap hit. That's it.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004

Those 3 you listed get plenty of criticism, but they are NHL caliber players. Manning is a 25 year old potatoe, as bad or worse than any D man we have had in 10 years, it is painful to watch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad