Boston Bruins 22-‘23 Bruins roster and trade proposals discussions. XV

Ludwig Fell Down

Feb 19, 2005
South Shore, MA
Today’s Globe:

Rest periods​

Jeremy Swayman will start in goal at Detroit Sunday. As for Linus Ullmark, Montgomery said: “If we have consecutive every second day, we’ll look at maybe getting him two or three in a row. But it’s tough with the schedule we have right now. Like, we go every Saturday-Sunday for the next five weeks.”

The Bruins will likely call up forward Jakub Lauko from Providence for a road trip that continues in Chicago (Tuesday); Winnipeg (Thursday); Minnesota (Saturday); and Buffalo (Sunday, March 19).

“We’re actually looking at this like a two-game set,” Montgomery said. “More like Games 4-5, or Games 5-6, of a series back-to-back, same opponent, home-away.”

As for resting players, Montgomery said: “This is a tough stretch of games, so right now it’s more about getting through these games, playing good Bruins’ hockey. I don’t think we have the luxury except on the back end. We’ve had sports science looking at it. It’s more like looking at a percentage of volume over the course of a month. There’s a lot of factors that go into this. Whether we’ll have the luxury of doing it remains to be seen.”
My hope is that only one of Bergeron and Krejci play in each of the back-to-back games down the stretch.

It was either Dom or Mick Colageo (sorry, I get you confused sometimes as you are the two brightest hockey minds that I know) pointed out that the last Stanley Cup champ to have their top two centers over age 35 is the '71 Canadiens. Playoff rounds 2 and 3 are almost certainly going to be drawn out, and any rest that can be had in the meantime with the ridiculously compressed schedule will be a benefit.

I'd also give McEvoy, Lindholm and Carlo a game off each in the back-to-backs.

Reactions: TCB and sarge88

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
It was either Dom or Mick Colageo (sorry, I get you confused sometimes as you are the two brightest hockey minds that I know) pointed out that the last Stanley Cup champ to have their top two centers over age 35 is the '71 Canadiens. Playoff rounds 2 and 3 are almost certainly going to be drawn out, and any rest that can be had in the meantime with the ridiculously compressed schedule will be a benefit.
I've been saying that for years about them being over 30, now over 35. It's tough. It's why I wanted them to get a #2c for the 3rd line.

Bertuzzi isn't a center but he and Hall should make that line as dangerous as any 2nd line. That should help taking the heat off 37 & 46. That Hall injury (and the pivot that led them to acquiring Bertuzzi) could turn out to be a life saver.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
I've been saying that for years about them being over 30, now over 35. It's tough. It's why I wanted them to get a #2c for the 3rd line.

Bertuzzi isn't a center but he and Hall should make that line as dangerous as any 2nd line. That should help taking the heat off 37 & 46. That Hall injury (and the pivot that led them to acquiring Bertuzzi) could turn out to be a life saver.

I mean, Yzerman was 37 and Fedorov was 33 when they last won. They also had a bunch of other older players like Hull, Shanahan, Chelios and Robitallie. Surely the current Bruins team is younger than the 2002 Wings.

And that was in a much tougher era.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
I mean, Yzerman was 37 and Fedorov was 33 when they last won. They also had a bunch of other older players like Hull, Shanahan, Chelios and Robitallie. Surely the current Bruins team is younger than the 2002 Wings.

And that was in a much tougher era.
Yeah, I found that team when I looked into this a few years ago. I figured they were the exception that proves the rule. You have to go back over 20 years to find them and you can go back another 20 and you're still looking. Apparently all the way back to 1971.

It was definitely a tougher era but it was also a much slower era. Maybe the slowest in history. It literally forced the Board of Governors to change the rules.

The other thing that made that team unique was the number of Hall of Famers; Yzerman, Fedorov (32 not 33), Hull, Larionov, Shanahan, Lidstrom, Chelios, Robitaile, Hasek... and 23 year old Pavel Datsyuk.

Maybe that's the trick to beating the two old top two centers issue, ice a team with ten Hall of Famers.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
My hope is that only one of Bergeron and Krejci play in each of the back-to-back games down the stretch.

Certainly didn't hurt the Canadiens had Jacque Lemaire as their #3 center...lol.
Coyle ain't no Lemaire.

dangermike

Jan 24, 2022

Not trying to put the cart in front of the horse but the impotence should be put on entering the playoffs ready to take care of business. Finishing round 1 with less than 6/7 games played will do a lot more for rest than a random night off in march (…imo).

Reactions: Gordoff

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

Linus Ullmark and Brandon Carlo, hanging on Jeremy Swayman’s every word, shouldered their way into a clutch of a dozen or more reporters who gathered around the Bruins goalie Sunday after his 7-0 shutout win (26 stops) over the Sabres in Buffalo.

The would-be journalists, paid slightly higher than cub-reporter wages, came prepared for the assignment.

Ullmark reached in from the back of the pack, a chicken wing propped in his right hand as a microphone. The equally inquisitive “Scoop” Carlo “recorded” the event with an oversized piece of pepperoni pizza, droplets of succulent grease dribbling down his outreached hand.

“The last couple of games have been a real good positive for our team,” said Swayman, doing his best to maintain a straight face amid the “Animal House”-like skit. “I think the ability this locker room has to forget about the past, not think about the future, just stay in the moment, play whistle to whistle, that’s something special.”

After lauding the entire team for its defensive effort, which helped deliver his second straight shutout and third in eight starts, Swayman looked at his two luv-ya-bro reporters, their pizza and wing still in recording mode.

“I love you guys back there,” he added.

Swayman is now 6-2-0 in his last eight outings, dating back to his shutout win over the Predators Feb. 16. Ullmark, who’ll be in net Tuesday with the Senators in town, is 9-1-0 in his last 10, and leads all NHL tenders in wins (34), GAA (1.97), and save percentage (.935).

Early in the season, happy with the Ullmark-Swayman rotation, coach Jim Montgomery said he’d be inclined to shift the workload more to one of the starters as the playoffs approached. Now with 13 games to go, and the postseason roughly a month on the horizon, the coach on Sunday did not sound ready to break from the currently winning formula any time soon.

“We don’t think we need to stray from it right now,” said Montgomery. “I always talk to Goalie Bob[Essensa] and Sweens [GM Don Sweeney] about what we should be doing to get our goalies to be in the best position to be ready. We’ll continue to do that, but the rotation’s been working really well.

“You don’t need to fix anything that’s not broken.”

As Swayman wrapped up his media session in Buffalo, a beat reporter kiddingly asked if he had any nutrition tips.

“Uhh, yeah — pizza and wings!” he said. “OK, thanks guys.”

The session formally ended with Swayman taking a healthy bite out of Ullmark’s microphone, which appeared to be running medium hot, extra crispy, Buffalo-style.

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013

Linus Ullmark and Brandon Carlo, hanging on Jeremy Swayman’s every word, shouldered their way into a clutch of a dozen or more reporters who gathered around the Bruins goalie Sunday after his 7-0 shutout win (26 stops) over the Sabres in Buffalo.

The would-be journalists, paid slightly higher than cub-reporter wages, came prepared for the assignment.

Ullmark reached in from the back of the pack, a chicken wing propped in his right hand as a microphone. The equally inquisitive “Scoop” Carlo “recorded” the event with an oversized piece of pepperoni pizza, droplets of succulent grease dribbling down his outreached hand.

“The last couple of games have been a real good positive for our team,” said Swayman, doing his best to maintain a straight face amid the “Animal House”-like skit. “I think the ability this locker room has to forget about the past, not think about the future, just stay in the moment, play whistle to whistle, that’s something special.”

After lauding the entire team for its defensive effort, which helped deliver his second straight shutout and third in eight starts, Swayman looked at his two luv-ya-bro reporters, their pizza and wing still in recording mode.

“I love you guys back there,” he added.

Swayman is now 6-2-0 in his last eight outings, dating back to his shutout win over the Predators Feb. 16. Ullmark, who’ll be in net Tuesday with the Senators in town, is 9-1-0 in his last 10, and leads all NHL tenders in wins (34), GAA (1.97), and save percentage (.935).

Early in the season, happy with the Ullmark-Swayman rotation, coach Jim Montgomery said he’d be inclined to shift the workload more to one of the starters as the playoffs approached. Now with 13 games to go, and the postseason roughly a month on the horizon, the coach on Sunday did not sound ready to break from the currently winning formula any time soon.

“We don’t think we need to stray from it right now,” said Montgomery. “I always talk to Goalie Bob[Essensa] and Sweens [GM Don Sweeney] about what we should be doing to get our goalies to be in the best position to be ready. We’ll continue to do that, but the rotation’s been working really well.

“You don’t need to fix anything that’s not broken.”

As Swayman wrapped up his media session in Buffalo, a beat reporter kiddingly asked if he had any nutrition tips.

“Uhh, yeah — pizza and wings!” he said. “OK, thanks guys.”

The session formally ended with Swayman taking a healthy bite out of Ullmark’s microphone, which appeared to be running medium hot, extra crispy, Buffalo-style.
He can even make something funny sound insufferable.

The man's a virtuoso.

Reactions: Colt.45Orr

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
Seems like the right thread for this rather than starting an entire new one.

What do you do when everyone is healthy with the lineup? I think the forward lines would probably be something like.

Marchand/Bergeron/Debrusk
Zacha/Krejci/Pasta
Hall/Coyle/Bertuzzi
Frederic/Nosek/Hathaway

Extras
Foligno/greer/lauko

Orlov/McAvoy
Lindholm/Carlo
Gryz/forbort
Clifton/Zboril

I had a crazy thought in my head though when trying to figure out who plays the right wing on the 3rd line when everyone is healthy because we are loaded on the left. What about this.

Hall/Krejci/Pasta
Bertuzzi/Zacha/Frederic
Foligno/Coyle/Hathaway

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts

What do you do when everyone is healthy with the lineup? I think the forward lines would probably be something like.

Zacha/Krejci/Pasta
Hall/Coyle/Bertuzzi
Frederic/Nosek/Hathaway

Extras
Foligno/greer/lauko

Orlov/McAvoy
Lindholm/Carlo
Gryz/forbort
Clifton/Zboril

I had a crazy thought in my head though when trying to figure out who plays the right wing on the 3rd line when everyone is healthy because we are loaded on the left. What about this.

Hall/Krejci/Pasta
Bertuzzi/Zacha/Frederic
Foligno/Coyle/Hathaway
Not with the way Coyle has been playing lately. If he continues this level of play this team will be ready to make a run

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
Not with the way Coyle has been playing lately. If he continues this level of play this team will be ready to make a run

He has been great recently. An absolute beast. He needs to play center obviously. I just don’t know if bertuzzi would work on the right side. We know Hall can’t. It worked for Jake but if Bert can’t someone needs to move off the left in the top 9 and we know Zacha can play center.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
He has been great recently. An absolute beast. He needs to play center obviously. I just don’t know if bertuzzi would work on the right side. We know Hall can’t. It worked for Jake but if Bert can’t someone needs to move off the left in the top 9 and we know Zacha can play center.
They’re not going to go from playing Zacha at wing all year to pushing Coyle down to 4C to put Zacha in the middle. He’s your top 9 center insurance, but not on purpose now.

Reactions: Oates2Neely

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
They’re not going to go from playing Zacha at wing all year to pushing Coyle down to 4C to put Zacha in the middle. He’s your top 9 center insurance, but not on purpose now.

That’s reasonable. I have him on the wing in my “what they’ll probably do” lineup.

I’m just throwing out a lineup for if we have an issue where bertuzzi struggles to fit on Coyles right.

I also don’t think nosek is going to sit out.

We’re just so friggen deep at LW it’s actually insane.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003

Zacha/Krejci/Pasta
Hall/Coyle/Bertuzzi
Frederic/Nosek/Hathaway

Extras
Foligno/greer/lauko

Orlov/McAvoy
Lindholm/Carlo
Gryz/forbort
Clifton/Zboril

Hall/Krejci/Pasta
Bertuzzi/Zacha/Frederic
Foligno/Coyle/Hathaway

That 5th line is the 4th line for 60% of the league.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

Zacha/Krejci/Pasta
Hall/Coyle/Bertuzzi
Frederic/Nosek/Hathaway

Extras
Foligno/greer/lauko

Orlov/McAvoy
Lindholm/Carlo
Gryz/forbort
Clifton/Zboril

Hall/Krejci/Pasta
Bertuzzi/Zacha/Frederic
Foligno/Coyle/Hathaway

Don't think there will be a time when everyone is healthy.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Boston should stay away if he wants more than $5.5M for more than 4 years.
I think, at least hope, that is the number. Would go to 6.5 for 4 at most but I am also not worried about that now I just want him to continue to play like he has so far in the playoffs.

Reactions: Gordoff

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
Bertuzzi and hall on the third line? How is that even possible. Who build this team with 2 first lines and a second line as a third line ? What a genius.

Reactions: missingchicklet

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad