Boston Bruins 22-‘23 Bruins roster and trade proposals discussions. XV

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
A lot will depend on what teams go deep in the playoffs this year. That $4 million increase could very well happen this year. Also, as I said a few days ago, there is a new leader of the NHLPA. Don't be surprised if he approaches the league to negotiate a higher cap and delaying the escrow lock at 6% just so he can get everyone's salaries up.

There are some projections that have it up to $92 million by 2025-2026.
Marty will have the lead pipe out soon enough

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

Bruins coach Jim Montgomery made it clear from the start that he would move Tyler Bertuzzi around a little bit, just as he did with Dmitry Orlov.

Bertuzzi has spent his first two games as a Bruin on the third line with Charlie Coyle and Trent Frederic. That trio has certainly shown some promise, most notably when Bertuzzi set up Coyle for a goal in Saturday’s win over the Rangers.

Now it’s time to tinker, though. At Friday’s practice, Montgomery moved Bertuzzi up to the second line with David Krejci and David Pastrnak, breaking up the Czech line and dropping Pavel Zacha to the third line in the process.

Bertuzzi was actually on the ice with Krejci and Pastrnak for a Boston goal against the Rangers, although the three have had just a couple shifts together. Montgomery thinks the newest Bruin can bring a little more grit to that line and give them a little bit of a different look by getting to and working in dirty areas in and around the net. Plus, Bertuzzi has shown off some playmaking through two games that could work well with elite playmakers like Krejci and Pastrnak.

Zacha, meanwhile, brings a little more defensive responsibility to the third line than Bertuzzi might have, and Montgomery sees shutdown potential in a Zacha-Coyle-Frederic trio.

“Little bit of experimentation just to see what it would look like,” Montgomery said. “We know from early in the year that Zacha with Coyle and Frederic is a real good shutdown line, so there’s a real good secondary shutdown line. Zacha has penalty killed for us all year and knows our D-zone coverage, so that has a lot to do with it.

“And then I thought Bertuzzi’s made a lot of plays, so put him with some other playmakers. He makes plays and goes to make plays in different areas than those guys, so just to see if there would be some chemistry there.”
Bertuzzi’s first game on his new line will come against his former team, the Detroit Red Wings. The Bruins host the Wings Saturday afternoon at TD Garden, and the two turn right around and play again Sunday afternoon in Detroit. Bertuzzi acknowledged this will be a bit of a weird weekend for him.

“Yeah, it’s gonna be weird. I don’t know what to think,” Bertuzzi said Friday. “…Obviously these two games are gonna be a little different, but I’m looking forward to the challenge.”

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

The Boston Bruins enter the weekend with a home-and-home series against the Detroit Red Wings with playoff clinching scenarios at their finger tips.

As of today, there are only four non-playoff teams that could catch the Bruins. And they would have to win all their remaining games while the Bruins lose theirs to do so. As it stands:

The Red Wings can get to a maximum of 103 points. The Florida Panthers and the Buffalo Sabres can get to a maximum of 104 points and the Ottawa Senators can get to a maximum of 106 points. The Bruins of course, have 103 points.

The math is simple: win one game and they’ve taken care of Detroit, Florida and Buffalo. Win both and they’ve taken care of all four and clinched a playoff birth. If Florida and Buffalo lose once, the Bruins are in no matter what they do against Detroit. If Ottawa wins one of their two games, then all Boston has to do is beat the Wings once.

What does this all mean for David Krejci?

Well, on August 8, 2022 Krejci signed a one-year deal with the Bruins for a salary of just $1 million. But it included some performance bonuses. Krejci received a $1 million bonus for playing in 10 games. He then received a $500,000 bonus for playing in 20 games.

There is one more bonus to attain and that is $500,000 for qualifying for the playoffs. With Patrice Bergeron already guaranteed his $2.5 million in bonuses and Krejci already guaranteed $1.5 million, the Bruins already cap crunched situation becomes even more difficult as Krejci will surely earn his final bonus whether it happens this weekend or not.

Reactions: hrdpuk

Number8

Oct 31, 2007

Taylor Hall, out of the Bruins lineup with a lower-body injury sustained Feb. 25 in Vancouver, is expected to begin practicing on Monday and likely will return to action upon the conclusion of the club’s upcoming five-game road trip that kicks off Sunday afternoon in Detroit.
Hall, in the press box Thursday night for the Bruins’ 3-2 loss to the Oilers, said he was relieved that his injury wasn’t more serious and is eager to get back to work on Monday.
A source close to Hall noted that initial plan will be for the 31-year-old left winger not to play in back-to-back games.

Hall, who carries a $6 million cap hit on the Bruins payroll, currently is on long-term injured reserve. Provided another roster player isn’t injured, GM Don Sweeney will have to find a way to move some $2 million off the books if he places Hall back on the active roster.

According to puckpedia.com, the Bruins currently have just under $4 million in available cap space, room created when both Hall and fellow winger Nick Foligno ($3.8 million) were had their numbers taken off the books earlier this month due to injury.

Provided the Bruins back dated Hall’s injury to Feb. 25, he should be eligible to return to game action when the Senators visit the Garden on March 21. LTIR requires players to remain out for a minimum 10 games and 24 days.
Holy smokes that is good news to read. Depth worries just got a lot less worrisome.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
The big question is, how are the Bruins going to clear $2M before activating Hall?

dafoomie

Jul 22, 2005
Boston
I would start with the following assumptions:

Less than $79m available after overage penalties if Marty Walsh doesn't come through
Reilly is bought out
At least one of Bergeron and Krejci comes back for a deal similar to Bergeron's now
Hall is untradable due to the contract and injury situation
Forbort is unlikely to be traded without salary retained or coming back
Everyone else on defense is tradable
Swayman will not accept a discount
Frederic will not accept a discount
Clifton will not accept a discount
Lysell and Merkulov not NHL ready

In goal they'd have to trade Swayman and let Bussi fight it out with a journeyman. There's no choice. ~6m.

On defense they'd probably build around McAvoy + Lindholm (16m) and one other guy (Orlov if possible) and move all other money out as best they can. In any case, the three plus Zboril and two lower end contracts puts them at 25-26m or more.

Up front, there's less than 46m left to go around with 38m committed to 7 guys (Pastrnak, Marchand, Hall, DeBrusk, Coyle, Zacha, Greer). Bergeron and/or Krejci will need their non-bonus money, Frederic should ask for at least 3m. Even if they plug in Lauko, Steen, McLaughlin, etc to fill holes, they might still have to move a contract. Is it Coyle when they might've lost a center already? Is it DeBrusk on the last year of his deal? A larger cap increase could save them from this choice, but it doesn't save their depth.

They're going to lose some good players but they should get some picks back to use at the next deadline.

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden
I would start with the following assumptions:

Less than $79m available after overage penalties if Marty Walsh doesn't come through
Reilly is bought out
At least one of Bergeron and Krejci comes back for a deal similar to Bergeron's now
Hall is untradable due to the contract and injury situation
Forbort is unlikely to be traded without salary retained or coming back
Everyone else on defense is tradable
Swayman will not accept a discount
Frederic will not accept a discount
Clifton will not accept a discount
Lysell and Merkulov not NHL ready

In goal they'd have to trade Swayman and let Bussi fight it out with a journeyman. There's no choice. ~6m.

On defense they'd probably build around McAvoy + Lindholm (16m) and one other guy (Orlov if possible) and move all other money out as best they can. In any case, the three plus Zboril and two lower end contracts puts them at 25-26m or more.

Up front, there's less than 46m left to go around with 38m committed to 7 guys (Pastrnak, Marchand, Hall, DeBrusk, Coyle, Zacha, Greer). Bergeron and/or Krejci will need their non-bonus money, Frederic should ask for at least 3m. Even if they plug in Lauko, Steen, McLaughlin, etc to fill holes, they might still have to move a contract. Is it Coyle when they might've lost a center already? Is it DeBrusk on the last year of his deal? A larger cap increase could save them from this choice, but it doesn't save their depth.

They're going to lose some good players but they should get some picks back to use at the next deadline.
Nice unpacking and breakdown of the situation. I think the route is going to be different. I see them trading Swayman, Gryz and Coyle and letting Orlov and Clifton walk. The terrible Zboril will probably play that leaves one contract for a puck moving journeyman. That clears about 13 million. I can also see TF traded, but that is unlikely since he can play center.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
A lot will depend on what teams go deep in the playoffs this year. That $4 million increase could very well happen this year. Also, as I said a few days ago, there is a new leader of the NHLPA. Don't be surprised if he approaches the league to negotiate a higher cap and delaying the escrow lock at 6% just so he can get everyone's salaries up.

There are some projections that have it up to $92 million by 2025-2026.

For us social workers, teachers, and other numerical-phobic people can you give us the 50 word explanation about what determines the cap number each year?

Is it simply ticket revenue?

Thanks!

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
For us social workers, teachers, and other numerical-phobic people can you give us the 50 word explanation about what determines the cap number each year?

Is it simply ticket revenue?

Thanks!
50 words? I will try.

• NHL pre-season, regular season and playoffs and "special games" like the all-star game, winter classic and so on.
  • digital broadcast revenue
  • Local cable television broadcasts revenue
  • Local pay-per-view, satellite and other broadcasts revenue
  • Local radio broadcasts revenue
  • Club internet (revenue from team websites)
  • Publications
  • In-arena or non- arena novelty sales
  • Concessions and parking revenue
  • Luxury boxes/suites
  • Club/premium seats
  • Fixed signage and arena sponsorships revenue
  • Temporary signage and club sponsorships revenues
  • Dasherboards (we hate those right?)
  • International hockey games
  • Other revenues: left open-ended, but include things like club and/or league-sponsored or branded events, sale of player-worn jerseys or equipment, among others.
The interesting thing about arena sponsorship revenue is that teams with two tenants such as the Bruins (Celtics), 65% of sponsorship revenues goes towards Hockey Related Revenues, not 50%.

There is of course a section in the CBA left open for "revenues to be added at a later date".

50 words? I failed.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
50 words? I will try.

• NHL pre-season, regular season and playoffs and "special games" like the all-star game, winter classic and so on.
  • Publications
  • Luxury boxes/suites
  • Club/premium seats
  • Other revenues: left open-ended, but include things like club and/or league-sponsored or branded events, sale of player-worn jerseys or equipment, among others.
The interesting thing about arena sponsorship revenue is that teams with two tenants such as the Bruins (Celtics), 65% of sponsorship revenues goes towards Hockey Related Revenues, not 50%.

There is of course a section in the CBA left open for "revenues to be added at a later date".

50 words? I failed.
I’ll take a failure that enlightens me any day,

lol.

thanks!

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
I’ll take a failure that enlightens me any day,

lol.

thanks!
Ticket prices are a huge bonanza. I talked about it a few weeks ago here.

For example: according to Ticketmaster, the average price for the Finals in 2019 was $1292 in Boston and $1350 in St Louis. In 2018 in Washington it was $1904.

A potential game 7 last year was $1400 for the cheapest ticket and $9810 for the most expensive. The average was set at $4013. Game 3 and 4 averaged about $2200.

There is no doubt in my mind, and in the minds of the experts that if Toronto made it to the Stanley Cup finals that their gate receipts would top $100 million per game. The corporate money behind the tickets in Toronto could easily see an average of $5,000 per ticket with 19,000 fans.

Not to mention the novelty sales Toronto would generate not only in Toronto, but accross Canada.

With all that revenue going towards HRR and 50% towards the players and the cap, it would be huge.

Of course, we hope that Toronto doesn't get there.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Today’s Globe:

Rest periods​

Jeremy Swayman will start in goal at Detroit Sunday. As for Linus Ullmark, Montgomery said: “If we have consecutive every second day, we’ll look at maybe getting him two or three in a row. But it’s tough with the schedule we have right now. Like, we go every Saturday-Sunday for the next five weeks.”

The Bruins will likely call up forward Jakub Lauko from Providence for a road trip that continues in Chicago (Tuesday); Winnipeg (Thursday); Minnesota (Saturday); and Buffalo (Sunday, March 19).

“We’re actually looking at this like a two-game set,” Montgomery said. “More like Games 4-5, or Games 5-6, of a series back-to-back, same opponent, home-away.”

As for resting players, Montgomery said: “This is a tough stretch of games, so right now it’s more about getting through these games, playing good Bruins’ hockey. I don’t think we have the luxury except on the back end. We’ve had sports science looking at it. It’s more like looking at a percentage of volume over the course of a month. There’s a lot of factors that go into this. Whether we’ll have the luxury of doing it remains to be seen.”

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Ticket prices are a huge bonanza. I talked about it a few weeks ago here.

For example: according to Ticketmaster, the average price for the Finals in 2019 was $1292 in Boston and $1350 in St Louis. In 2018 in Washington it was $1904.

A potential game 7 last year was $1400 for the cheapest ticket and $9810 for the most expensive. The average was set at $4013. Game 3 and 4 averaged about $2200.

There is no doubt in my mind, and in the minds of the experts that if Toronto made it to the Stanley Cup finals that their gate receipts would top $100 million per game. The corporate money behind the tickets in Toronto could easily see an average of $5,000 per ticket with 19,000 fans.

Not to mention the novelty sales Toronto would generate not only in Toronto, but accross Canada.

With all that revenue going towards HRR and 50% towards the players and the cap, it would be huge.

Of course, we hope that Toronto doesn't get there.

I‘ll qualify this with the fact that I know it’s never going back, but it’s so sad that a family of four would need to spend at least $4k to catch a SCF game.

Even sadder that the league needs to freeze out 98% of “regular fans” (not corporate entities) from at least the conference finals and SCF in order to, essentially exist.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Today’s Globe:

Rest periods​

Jeremy Swayman will start in goal at Detroit Sunday. As for Linus Ullmark, Montgomery said: “If we have consecutive every second day, we’ll look at maybe getting him two or three in a row. But it’s tough with the schedule we have right now. Like, we go every Saturday-Sunday for the next five weeks.”

The Bruins will likely call up forward Jakub Lauko from Providence for a road trip that continues in Chicago (Tuesday); Winnipeg (Thursday); Minnesota (Saturday); and Buffalo (Sunday, March 19).

“We’re actually looking at this like a two-game set,” Montgomery said. “More like Games 4-5, or Games 5-6, of a series back-to-back, same opponent, home-away.”

As for resting players, Montgomery said: “This is a tough stretch of games, so right now it’s more about getting through these games, playing good Bruins’ hockey. I don’t think we have the luxury except on the back end. We’ve had sports science looking at it. It’s more like looking at a percentage of volume over the course of a month. There’s a lot of factors that go into this. Whether we’ll have the luxury of doing it remains to be seen.”
Another form of analytics that some will dismiss.

Reactions: Kegs

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario
Another form of analytics that some will dismiss.

I am split on resting. I like the (potential) injury mitigation. I don't like the (potential) disruption of flow - on both an individual level and a chemistry level.

I trust pro athletes to know what works or doesn't for them, I suppose.

Mad-Marcus

Apr 26, 2002
Seacoast, NH
I love Swayman's future, but this year, he has not made the jump to bonafide 50-60 game/yr starter. Games like
EDM on Thurs, where all 3 5-hole goal were goals he should stop, make me suspect that he will get anything close to starter money, here or on the market, not yet. Maybe a 2 year bridge deal that sets him up to take over for Ullmark in his last year. 2 for 2.75-3.0M max. JMHO

I also think you keep Mac, Hampus, and sing Orlov, and trade or let walk the other 3 and bring in 3 more affordable options. Each pair gets a high end D, and any of the 3 can play together in crunch time.

This next year will be tough. Maybe Bergy and/or Krech sign late in the season as a FA, in time to make the playoffs. It's legal.

I think maintaining from the goal out and generating offense with younger players is the easiest way to stay competitive and build from a defensive foundation of strength.

Clifton - walks
Bergs/Krech - retires
Coyle, Hall(if healthy), Gryz - trade (saves ~15M)

It's not going to be the same team, that's why this year is SCF or bust.

Reactions: goldnblack

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
50 words? I will try.

• Publications
  • Luxury boxes/suites
  • Club/premium seats

50 words? I failed.

So are the TV contracts weighted by ratings / markets involved? Like you said that some of the big markets made it further that would help, is that why?

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Today’s Globe:

Dmitry Orlov’s new job​

Orlov, recently promoted to point man on the power-play unit, assisted on Patrice Bergeron’s power-play strike in Saturday’s win. It left Orlov with a dazzling 3-7—10 line in his first seven games in Black and Gold.

Orlov, kept off the scoresheet Sunday in 21:17 of ice time, again manned the PP1, with Montgomery continuing to assess his club’s recovering man-advantage.

“Yesterday was good, because we got four power play [opportunities],” said the coach. “We’ve only been getting one or two [opportunities] lately — luckily we’ve only been taking one or two.”

The game Saturday, noted Montgomery “was a better sample size” to assess what “rhythm” the new-look PP1 developed. He liked the general beat of the unit in terms of chances, but noted he would prefer to see a greater “volume” of shots.

“So,” he added, “it’s still early in the process of assessing Orlov’s work back there.”

Getting the puck into the offensive zone on the advantage improved during Saturday’s matinee. That often can be the starting point for the power play regaining its jam.

“Against Edmonton [on Thursday],” said a smiling Montgomery, “they were oh-my-God bad.”

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I‘ll qualify this with the fact that I know it’s never going back, but it’s so sad that a family of four would need to spend at least $4k to catch a SCF game.

Even sadder that the league needs to freeze out 98% of “regular fans” (not corporate entities) from at least the conference finals and SCF in order to, essentially exist.

I don't view a SCF game as a family game.

More for the true fanatics.

Reactions: dangermike

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I don't view a SCF game as a family game.

More for the true fanatics.

Sure -- but there are a lot of families out there with teenagers/college aged kids who live and die by the B's. I'd love to take my 22 and 19 year olds to a SCF game as it would be an amazing memory and they'd understand the magnitude.

To your point, unless I were filthy rich, I probably wouldn't be taking an 8 year old.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00