Status
Not open for further replies.

GlenFeatherstone

Feb 15, 2016
C49E31A3-A471-42CD-BE9E-DF045C1EA284.jpeg

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Reading the tea leaves tells me there's a Luke Schenn incoming. Canucks has stated their willing to take on salary. Schenn has been sent back to Vancouver after taking the trip to Nashville because an apparent deal is close, bruins are in Seattle.

Schenn will be in the bruins line-up thursday night. Book it ! twice

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
Reading the tea leaves tells me there's a Luke Schenn incoming. Canucks has stated their willing to take on salary. Schenn has been sent back to Vancouver after taking the trip to Nashville because an apparent deal is close, bruins are in Seattle.

Awesome that means we can use our top assets for a forward.

Reactions: Bestido and bob77

whitetape

Jun 3, 2006

Who's going to sit, and why him?

Reactions: TCB and dangermike

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Who's going to sit, and why him?

Who's sitting ?
its a long hard road to the Stanley Cup. As many NHL caliber defenseman u can add you do it. imo

Why him ?
He's tough as nails leads the league in hits, he's going to make players keep their heads up crossing the blue line and make them fear a little bit going into the corners and in front of the net, plus he brings tons of experience and he's cheap, season salary is 850,000.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

Will the Bruins — who play their next four in Seattle, Vancouver, Edmonton, and Calgary — dress any new players for their next game at TD Garden? They face the Sabres March 2, one day before the NHL trade deadline.
As the Bruins headed to Seattle on a winning streak Tuesday, general manager Don Sweeney was working the phones.
He may have been calling about Vladislav Gavrikov. The Columbus defenseman was scratched for a fourth consecutive game Sunday as general manager Jarmo Kekalainen tried to settle on an acceptable trade return.

One league source has knocked down reports over the last few days claiming the Bruins and Blue Jackets have an agreement in place for Gavrikov. A report from The Fourth Period Tuesday said the Bruins were just trying to clear salary-cap space for the deal to happen.

The source reiterated that the Bruins remained in talks with Columbus about Gavrikov, a shot-blocking, penalty-killing defenseman getting major ice time this year because of injuries.

But the price seems to be the sticking point. Several reports over the past few weeks said Columbus’s ask was a first-round pick, a third-round pick, and a fourth-round pick.

The gut feeling here: The only way the Bruins pay a price that steep is if the Jackets take back a contract, a la Sweeney’s previous trades with Anaheim.

In 2022, the Bruins acquired Hampus Lindholm from the Ducks and offloaded the final year-plus of John Moore’s five-year, $13.75 million deal. To make that worth it for the Ducks — and pay the cost of Lindholm — the Bruins included three picks (a 2022 first-rounder and second-rounders in 2023 and 2024), and young defenseman Urho Vaakanainen. The Ducks also retained half of Lindholm’s salary.

The Bruins aren’t getting full value from veteran winger Craig Smith ($3.1 million), whose deal, like Gavrikov’s ($2.8 million), expires this summer. Columbus would have room for Smith on its books the rest of the year.

The Bruins have had Jakub Zboril ($1.1375 million) sitting in the press box for most of the season. Mike Reilly ($1.875 million) has spent most of the year in the AHL. Both defensemen are signed through 2024.

The Bruins could entice Columbus with a prospect such as speedy, gritty winger Jakub Lauko, who has been called up to the NHL twice this year. Top prospects such as Providence winger Fabian Lysell and Ohio State defenseman Mason Lohrei would not be involved in a deal that had Gavrikov as the sole return.

In addition to Gavrikov, another notable defenseman sat out Sunday’s Arizona-Columbus game for what his club called “trade-related reasons.” Jakob Chychrun practiced with Arizona Tuesday, though he was not slated to return to the lineup Wednesday against Calgary.

Adding Chychrun to the Bruins would create one of their better defense corps of the last decade, since Chychrun — a No. 1 on many teams — would slot in as a No. 3 behind Charlie McAvoy and Lindholm.

But the Bruins would likely have to part with a package that includes picks and the best of their prospect pool.

He is, however, signed at an excellent rate — $4.6 million for two years after this — and could help the Bruins much more than Gavrikov.

chrisab123

Feb 9, 2013
Theres no chance they pay the freight on Chychrun. Sure, you could dump Smith Zboril picks etc but they’re still going to want Swayman or Lysell on top of everything. Probably not a good idea.

Even if this is the last year for the core

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
@arider1990
Because this is an excellent draft and will produce a lot of quality players. I would rather give up next years first over this years

I feel like every year we here about how great the upcoming draft is. The reality is that people expect this draft to produce a lot of quality players, but that doesn't mean it will.

Last edited:

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
This is the only year when I think the Bruins don't need to trade for someone big.

Having said that, people get hurt in the playoffs. I would be fine with parting with a few prospects who aren't going anywhere and a few picks to add NHL depth.

Gavrikov or Barbashev would be cool, but I would be happy with any acquisition of legitimate NHL players

Last edited:

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
I know in the past, they have gotten injured on defense. Most of that was Clodes and to some extent Cassidy’s system, of the defense, taking a hit to protect the puck. There is no D that took the pounding like the Bruins’ defense. It was horrible. This year, the system is protecting them. They are not told to take the hit but to drive the play. Carlo hasn’t faced the glass in a long time. I don’t cringe as much as before. I think that’s a big factor. Give me a rugged player on both Frw and D. I still don’t think they need to break the bank for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad