GDT: #22 – Sabres at Maple Leafs – Sat Nov 16 – 7:00PM ET – MSG-B, CBC – WGR-AM

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Yep

I posted in another thread that I expect only 1 or 2 of the kids to be here once the evaluating is done. I'm guessing Girgs for sure and may be Risto.

Agreed. Larsson is on the cusp and isn't as young as the rest. I think if he gets into the lineup, he'll accel under Nolan's hand. But Grigorenko and Zadorov seem to fit with the assessment made by Nolan and LaFontaine of kids not put in a position to succeed. They need cycles, reps, playing time to work on their warts.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I think Nikita gets sent down soon as Weber is healthy.. and if they're gonna send another kid down I'd rather it be Girgensons instead of Larsson.

CrazyPsycho

Elite Drafter
Sep 25, 2003
I was thinking that about Leino too. :biglaugh: I WANTED to pick nits in his game last night. Anything, everything... looking for crap to justify railing about him coming out of the lineup and Larsson going in. I didn't find any. He actually played well in the middle and on the PP. I'll probably be looking that way again tonight and for a long time into the future given the shear volume of negative emotion attached to Ville's performance outside of a little stretch of last season.

But for right now, even my hatred of McBain can't find a reason for him to drop out of the lineup at this time over Zadorov. But the cat back in the bag so to speak.

I felt the same way about Leino. I didn't think he had a great game, but it was positive. It almost seemed like he was out of shape, maybe due to the injuries and whatnot, but I thought he visibly slowed as the game went on. Let's hope the decisions come within the week and get these kids in a spot where they can get something positive going.

couture23

Jun 23, 2012
Toronto
Makes sense. No one was dogging it last night. If this remains the case, I could see Zadorov back to London soon as Weber is cleared and then possibly Larsson back down to Rochester to get more cycles in key game action.

Nolan has been consistent in the conversation that it isn't fair to expect teenagers to compete against 26-27 year old NHLers, consistent in his praise of the London staff including old Thunder d-man and current ass't coach Jeff Paul, and consistent that effort will lead to playing time.

Leino and Stafford, the two usual whipping boys, played well last night. Stafford was probably the best forward on the ice in all three zones. If Nolan is preaching that effort will result in icetime, it would be disingenious to pull a guy who put in the requested effort just to play a kid who is clearly overmatched at this level.

Yeah, I was thinking the exact same thing in regards to Zadorov/Larsson.

I just think Nolan doesn't really like the young guys besides Zem.

couture23

Jun 23, 2012
Toronto
Far too early to even really think about that.

It could be that Nolan/Patty think that the young guys might be better elsewhere, but there's really no evidence yet to support that Nolan "doesn't like" the kids.

You're right, poor choice of words. I think he doesn't like the idea of playing them this early in their career unless they've deserved it. But I think Larsson has, although his time is better served in Roch.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Agreed. Larsson is on the cusp and isn't as young as the rest. I think if he gets into the lineup, he'll accel under Nolan's hand. But Grigorenko and Zadorov seem to fit with the assessment made by Nolan and LaFontaine of kids not put in a position to succeed. They need cycles, reps, playing time to work on their warts.

I agree and he is a Leino **** show away from getting back in.

I could see Larsson centering the 4th line when Scott isn't dressed.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
Holland will play for Maple Leafs after trade

MAPLE LEAFS

James van Riemsdyk – Peter Holland – Phil Kessel

Mason Raymond – Trevor Smith – David Clarkson

Joffrey Lupul – Jay McClement – Nikolai Kulemin

Frazer McLaren – Jerred Smithson – Colton Orr

Carl Gunnarsson – Dion Phaneuf

Jake Gardiner – Cody Franson

Mark Fraser – Paul Ranger

James Reimer

Jonathan Bernier

Scratched: Morgan Rielly, Carter Ashton, Nazem Kadri (suspended)

Injured: Dave Bolland (cut tendon), Tyler Bozak (hamstring)

Last edited:

Squantosawuss

Dec 10, 2010
B-lo

...says Nolan in the article:

"You know what? I can't even put it into words," Nolan said of his first win as an NHL coach since 2008. "It was one of those games where you didn't know where this type of day would ever happen again. It was really very emotional. I'll have a good cry after everybody leaves."

How can you not like and root for this guy, regardless of the team he's coaching?

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY

The problem with the situation now is that Nolan is playing for a job. He wants to have guys that will help him best NOW.

Wouldn't surprise me if he wanted guys like Kaleta, Porter and Adam up here. Not a bad thing, but developing young guys is not what he is looking to do.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006

Pysk, Risto, and Girgs. 3 rookies playing big roles is probably too much for any coach to stand.

Zads wasnt expected to be here. Larsson is a head scratcher, I am missing something there I guess. I thought he would be a regular.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
The problem with the situation now is that Nolan is playing for a job. He wants to have guys that will help him best NOW.

Wouldn't surprise me if he wanted guys like Kaleta, Porter and Adam up here. Not a bad thing, but developing young guys is not what he is looking to do.

He has 3 rookies in the lineup. When he says its not fair to play 18-19 year olds vs 26-27 year olds I know he is thinking of Grigorkenko.

Zads wasnt supposed to be here, even with the tank. Only question is Larsson.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Nolan loves him some Girgensons.

I know.

I don't expect it to happen..just saying if another kid was to be sent down I'd rather it be Girgs. He's 19 with more offensive upside than Larsson I believe. Larsson has paid his dues in minors...he's ready for NHL..don't think putting him in the A will do much for him.

jvirk

Oct 31, 2013
one thing i love about the first coaching move that nolan did is to put in perspective that having young guys (teenagers) play against well developed 28 year old players is setting them up for failure. A huge part of a player's development is being patient with them. There's very few exceptions to this (crosby for example).

That's why I am hoping grigs and zads are sent down. Putting them on the right path to develop will pay off big time (or at least it increases their chance of eventually reaching their potential) in the future.

This is all a part of our rebuild as well. you gotta be patient and let them develop into what you are expecting out of their future when you draft them.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
Almost Game Time!
BZOJyavCUAAUPCk.jpg:large

Let's Go Buffalo!

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I expect 2-3 fights tonight.

Will be a lot more edgier" than last night.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad