GDT: #22 – Sabres at Maple Leafs – Sat Nov 16 – 7:00PM ET – MSG-B, CBC – WGR-AM

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
gdt-02-top-1.png
gdt-02-top-2.png

gdt-02-top-3.png
gdt-02-top-4.png

GDT #22: BUF (5-15-1) at TOR (11-7-1) – NOV 16 – 7:00PM ET – MSG-B, CBCWGR-AMCHAT

11/14 – Maple Leafs' Kadri suspended three games (Dept. of Player Safety – NHL.com)

11/15 – Sabres top Maple Leafs in Nolan's debut (Joe Yerdon – NHL.com)

11/15 – "Lighter" Sabres talk about the clean slate (Kevin Snow – Sabres.com)

11/16 – Sabres beat Leafs in Ted Nolan’s debut, look like new team (Bill Hoppe – Olean Times Herald)

11/16 – Game Preview: 11/16/13 at Toronto (Ian Ott – Sabres PR)

11/16 – Press Clips: 11/16/13 at Toronto (Ian Ott – Sabres PR)​
header-350x60-team-news-left.png
header-350x60-default-right.png

BUFFALO SABRES

Projected Lineup
(optional skate)

26 Matt Moulson – 19 Cody Hodgson – 21 Drew Stafford
9 Steve Ott ("C") – 23 Ville Leino – 63 Tyler Ennis
82 Marcus Foligno – 28 Zemgus Girgensons – 65 Brian Flynn
32 John Scott – 8 Cody McCormick – 78 Corey Tropp
X: 22 Johan Larsson, 25 Mikhail Grigorenko

10 Christian Ehrhoff ("A") – 3 Mark Pysyk
20 Henrik Tallinder ("A") – 57 Tyler Myers
4 Jamie McBain – 55 Rasmus Ristolainen
X: 61 Nikita Zadorov

1 Jhonas Enroth
30 Ryan Miller

Lineup News & Notes

Buffalo scratched Mikhail Grigorenko, Johan Larsson and Nikita Zadorov in Friday's 3-1 win versus Toronto. Mike
Weber (thumb) returned to practice on Monday and remains day-to-day as he awaits medical clearance.

Weekly Transactions

Buffalo reassigned Joel Armia (hand) to Rochester/AHL on Tuesday.

According to the Stats

Buffalo are 5-4-1 in their last ten games vs Toronto; 3-7-0 on the road.​
header-350x60-opp-news-left.png
header-350x60-opp-news-right.png

TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS

Projected Lineup
(optional skate)

21 James van Riemsdyk – 24 Peter Holland – 81 Phil Kessel
19 Joffrey Lupul ("A") – 23 Trevor Smith – 71 David Clarkson
12 Mason Raymond – 11 Jay McClement ("A") – 41 Nikolai Kulemin
38 Frazer McLaren – 22 Jerred Smithson – 28 Colton Orr
X: 37 Carter Ashton, 43 Nazem Kadri

3 Dion Phaneuf ("C") – 36 Carl Gunnarsson
51 Jake Gardiner – 4 Cody Franson
15 Paul Ranger – 2 Mark Fraser
X: 44 Morgan Rielly

34 James Reimer
45 Jonathan Bernier

Lineup News & Notes

Toronto scratched Troy Bodie, Nazem Kadri (suspended) and Morgan Rielly in Friday's 3-1 loss at Buffalo. Dave
Bolland (ankle) and Tyler Bozak (hamstring) remain inactive, while Kadri serves game two of his suspension.

Weekly Transactions

Toronto signed Jerred Smithson to a contract on Wednesday. They also recalled Trevor Smith from Toronto/AHL
on Friday, as John-Michael Liles was reassigned, and acquired Peter Holland today from Anaheim.

According to the Stats

Toronto are 7-1-2 in their last ten home games vs Buffalo.​

header-350x60-multimedia-left.png
header-350x60-default-right.png

Last edited:

couture23

Jun 23, 2012
Toronto
Wonder if Nolan will bring in Larsson or Grigs, or if he'll stay with the exact same lineup.

No Kadri again is very nice.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Wonder if Nolan will bring in Larsson or Grigs, or if he'll stay with the exact same lineup.

No Kadri again is very nice.

Unless someone is hurt, is there a reason to change a winning lineup? There weren't any passengers in the last game. Maybe when someone mails it in they get the hook.

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
Unless someone is hurt, is there a reason to change a winning lineup? There weren't any passengers in the last game. Maybe when someone mails it in they get the hook.

Back to back game, maybe bring in some fresh legs. I'd personally like to see Larsson play over Leino. But yeah I don't see them changing the lineup, it would send the wrong message to players getting their "second chance"

Royisgone

Mar 7, 2012
I think we will be more gassed than the Leafs tonight and that could lead to disappointing play simply due to fatigue.

Also, I think the likelihood for mayhem is greater tonight than it was last night.

This game should be every bit as interesting as last night's, especially when you throw in the revenge factor for Toronto. They played poorly and are likely to come out loaded for bear.

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
I think we will be more gassed than the Leafs tonight and that could lead to disappointing play simply due to fatigue.

Also, I think the likelihood for mayhem is greater tonight than it was last night.

This game should be every bit as interesting as last night's, especially when you throw in the revenge factor for Toronto. They played poorly and are likely to come out loaded for bear.

Agreed.

But but but they're "professional" athletes so they should all have uber awesome cardio/stamina :sarcasm:

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010

How will the Sabres have more of an excuse to be out of gas, the Leafs will have played three in four nights and have two injured centres. The suspended one is not an excuse, he intentionally caused it.

The Sabres made a lot of mistakes last night. The Leafs were horrid and not just down the middle. Their defence looked uninterested and their wingers not very gritty.

I couldn't believe how many times the Sabres needlessly iced the puck to create a defensive zone draw. On one occasion I thought it was four straight. That's burned them all year long with goals off the face off. Wen the opposing teams have no centres, you get away with it.

My hope is last night's game builds confidence and they will play even better. That seemed to be the message out of the locker room -- that it was just one win.

This Sabres team has a heck of a long way to go. But bearing down on banged up and discombobulated Leafs team with back to back wins, would show me a lot early. We'll see.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
Looks like the same lineup as last night:

@BuffaloSabres

Optional skate for the #Sabres. Larsson, Grigorenko, Zadorov, Weber and Enroth on the ice with assistant coaches.

BZNOjqpIQAA_Kpc.jpg:large

Last edited:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Looks like the same lineup as last night:

@BuffaloSabres

Optional skate for the #Sabres. Larsson, Grigorenko, Zadorov, Weber and Enroth on the ice with assistant coaches.

Makes sense. No one was dogging it last night. If this remains the case, I could see Zadorov back to London soon as Weber is cleared and then possibly Larsson back down to Rochester to get more cycles in key game action.

Nolan has been consistent in the conversation that it isn't fair to expect teenagers to compete against 26-27 year old NHLers, consistent in his praise of the London staff including old Thunder d-man and current ass't coach Jeff Paul, and consistent that effort will lead to playing time.

Leino and Stafford, the two usual whipping boys, played well last night. Stafford was probably the best forward on the ice in all three zones. If Nolan is preaching that effort will result in icetime, it would be disingenious to pull a guy who put in the requested effort just to play a kid who is clearly overmatched at this level.

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
Something needs to be done with these kids in the press box. There needs to be people sent down, guys traded, or veterans sat instead. You just can't have 3 players under 21 sitting for so long. If Rolston would have done this people would be crying how he is ruining the development of these guys.

SabresFan26

May 28, 2003
Visit site
Makes sense. No one was dogging it last night. If this remains the case, I could see Zadorov back to London soon as Weber is cleared and then possibly Larsson back down to Rochester to get more cycles in key game action.

Nolan has been consistent in the conversation that it isn't fair to expect teenagers to compete against 26-27 year old NHLers, consistent in his praise of the London staff including old Thunder d-man and current ass't coach Jeff Paul, and consistent that effort will lead to playing time.

Leino and Stafford, the two usual whipping boys, played well last night. Stafford was probably the best forward on the ice in all three zones. If Nolan is preaching that effort will result in icetime, it would be disingenious to pull a guy who put in the requested effort just to play a kid who is clearly overmatched at this level.

Sounds about right. I can see Stafford reemerging. It is amazing what tunnel vision on a whipping boy can do. :laugh:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Something needs to be done with these kids in the press box. There needs to be people sent down, guys traded, or veterans sat instead. You just can't have 3 players under 21 sitting for so long. If Rolston would have done this people would be crying how he is ruining the development of these guys.

Considering it has been only one game and four whole days under the new regime, with them talking about taking a little time to assess, evaluate and then act... patience is required here. Everything LaFontaine and Nolan have said leans toward some of the kids going back to play in other situations. Give them an oppotunity to sort it out.

SabresFan26

May 28, 2003
Visit site

The Sabres should write the CHL/QMJHL and see if they'll make an exception for Grigorenko to be sent to the AHL. I think Grigs will be playing their to start next season regardless. I am curious to see how Nolan handles him and his impact on Grig's game.

Zadorov is London bound once Weber is ready, Larsson is likely Rochester bound soon as well.

I hope the kids understand and handle their demotions well and continue to improve.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Sounds about right. I can see Stafford reemerging. It is amazing what tunnel vision on a whipping boy can do. :laugh:

I was thinking that about Leino too. :biglaugh: I WANTED to pick nits in his game last night. Anything, everything... looking for crap to justify railing about him coming out of the lineup and Larsson going in. I didn't find any. He actually played well in the middle and on the PP. I'll probably be looking that way again tonight and for a long time into the future given the shear volume of negative emotion attached to Ville's performance outside of a little stretch of last season.

But for right now, even my hatred of McBain can't find a reason for him to drop out of the lineup at this time over Zadorov. But the cat back in the bag so to speak.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Considering it has been only one game and four whole days under the new regime, with them talking about taking a little time to assess, evaluate and then act... patience is required here. Everything LaFontaine and Nolan have said leans toward some of the kids going back to play in other situations. Give them an oppotunity to sort it out.

Yep

I posted in another thread that I expect only 1 or 2 of the kids to be here once the evaluating is done. I'm guessing Girgs for sure and may be Risto.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad