Prospect Info: 214th overall: Vancouver selects Arvid Costmar (C, Linköping)

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
I watched only a small bit of the first period but immediately noticed Costmar forechecking like a madman. Stole the puck from a Finn and set up a scoring chance.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Some good attributes:

- strong skater - has real good first step acceleration
- at this level had zero difficulty staying in the play in all zones
- quickness in getting to the play and hounding the puck
- quick stick and quick, and most often accurate, puck movement
- real competitive edge

Has to get stronger on the puck and little quicker on defensive reads. Also had some problems with clean exits from his zone and shouldering thru traffic

Tournament certainly increased the belief he has potential and takes some of the sting off losing a similar player in Madden (although I still think Madden is better)

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Is this COstmar kid a bit like Rutuu?

I don't think so. Jarkko played at 6'2" 200+lbs and was strong by NHL standards. He was a true old school agitator that pissed a lot of guys off. His brother Tuomo (whom I didn't watch as much) played the game really hard (by NHL standards).

Costmar just doesn't strike me as the type to play that type of game at the NHL level or even the AHL level.

HockeyNightInAsia

Mar 22, 2020
It's nice that the coaches recognized Costmar's good work (although may not be truly top 3). I wouldn't dream too big, if Costmar becomes an NHL 3C/4C in any shape or form this would be a huge win.

My question remains though, that defensive centers from Europe seem not the most common; they either are highly regarded early (Koivu / Backlund / Eller) or needed quite some AHL/NCAA time (Lucas Wallmark / Johan Larsson / Erik Haula?). Does this point to the need to gain North American exposure (likewise for Linus Karlsson), and how best to do it in the case of Costmar?

Reactions: Ginger Papa

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Is this COstmar kid a bit like Rutuu?
Kind of reminds me of Kenny Linseman in his prime, the NHL player who earned the original nickname of 'the rat'. Costmar will drive you nuts with his play down low and in the after-the-whistle scrums.

But on a Swedish team loaded with first rounders and talented players, to be named one of their 'top three players' for the tournament is an eye-opener. Clearly the kid has some talent; a quick shot and relentless pursuit of the puck.

For a seventh rounder, does it get any better than this in his draft-plus-one season?

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Only saw him play the Russia/Sweden match but loved this player. Better comparison?
1. Burrows
2. Ruutu (Jarko)
3. Gallagher
4. Hansen

To me it seems like Hansen with a little more finish and edge...i.e. Burrows light.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad