Prospect Info: 214th overall: Vancouver selects Arvid Costmar (C, Linköping)

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
I forgot about him entirely, and the guy is playing unreal, what in the world

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
Costmar only forward out on the 5 on 3 against now. Really being leaned on.

Killed the 5 second 5-on-3 by locking up the puck on the faceoff, the Czechs couldn't do much with the 2-3 seconds of the period on 5-on-4 remaining after that. Best player for Sweden this game, looks great on the smaller rink (not to say he hasn't played well with what little time he's earned in the SHL).

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
4rp75v.jpg

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Who the heck is this guy? He’s really a very good 200 foot player. Super smart, skilled, and high compete. Did he mature young, and that’s why he’s standing out right now?

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I have no idea if Costmar is a legit NHL prospect.....but anytime you can draft a kid in seventh round, who's light years ahead of where he was at the time he was drafted, somebody is doing their job in the scouting department

He's just another in a number of late round draft picks by the Canucks, who're been making a bit of a mockery out of where they were drafted. And not to forget the other guy the Canucks drafted in the 7th round of 2019--Aiden McDonough.

You'd have to scroll a long way through the Canucks draft history to find two guys drafted in the seventh round of the same entry draft--who've been shot out of a cannon in their draft-plus-one seasons. In fact I feel safe in predicting that's it's probably never happened.

Didalee Hed

I’m trying to understand
Sep 14, 2019
I have no idea if Costmar is a legit NHL prospect.....but anytime you can draft a kid in seventh round, who's light years ahead of where he was at the time he was drafted, somebody is doing their job in the scouting department

He's just another in a number of late round draft picks by the Canucks, who're been making a bit of a mockery out of where they were drafted. And not to forget the other guy the Canucks drafted in the 7th round of 2019--Aiden McDonough.

You'd have to scroll a long way through the Canucks draft history to find two guys drafted in the seventh round of the same entry draft--who've been shot out of a cannon in their draft-plus-one seasons. In fact I feel safe in predicting that's it's probably never happened.

And that was the moment Jim Benning truly became President of the United States general manager.

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
Who the heck is this guy? He’s really a very good 200 foot player. Super smart, skilled, and high compete. Did he mature young, and that’s why he’s standing out right now?
He had a great D+1 season...but for whatever reason it was so under the radar.

There were people ‘pumping his tires’ pretty hard all year (I believe CanucksArmy amongst them)...

He’s been put in a great position to showcase himself. Sweden has great wingers and not much at center so he’s getting prime time minutes.

HockeyNightInAsia

Mar 22, 2020
Costmar is certainly very positive news at this point. Again, between Costmar and Linus Karlsson, it's time the Nucks think hard how to best develop them and hopefully come up with a long-term 3C, likely by bringing at least one of them over to the north-american ices (after the coven uncertainties).

Lemmiwinks

Jun 11, 2011
B.C.
He’s actually been playing quite well for the past year. Great 7th rd pick who just needs more TOI in the SHL now

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
WJC is definitely a weird one where people sometimes use it as too hard of a metric on overall potential / realistic expectations. It's great to see him do well so far though for sure

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
WJC is definitely a weird one where people sometimes use it as too hard of a metric on overall potential / realistic expectations. It's great to see him do well so far though for sure

Yeah, I've seen enough prospects who shine at the WJC, only to never pan out as an NHLer.

If Costmar becomes a steady AHLer, I consider that a win.

Last time we had an unheralded prospect make an impact at the WJC was Forsling, and we promptly traded him at the height of his value. (still became an NHLer, so that's a success.)

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
So far showing he can play at either end of the rink and can use his speed to keep good positioning. Like to see him a little bigger and little better along the boards but definitely has good wheels and knack for seeing the play and jumping on opportunities.

Whether he has much or any upper level potential is open to question and might be he becomes a nice smaller player in SEL. See a little of Linden Vey in this player. Like Vey would likely be a upper level point producer in Major Junior hockey. However, also like Vey and Dahlen see him having problems in traffic in North American pro hockey.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
So far showing he can play at either end of the rink and can use his speed to keep good positioning. Like to see him a little bigger and little better along the boards but definitely has good wheels and knack for seeing the play and jumping on opportunities.

Whether he has much or any upper level potential is open to question and might be he becomes a nice smaller player in SEL. See a little of Linden Vey in this player. Like Vey would likely be a upper level point producer in Major Junior hockey. However, also like Vey and Dahlen see him having problems in traffic in North American pro hockey.

It does seem like his skating has gotten better than what was described in his draft day scouting reports. I agree with you what you said, I think with improvement in his physical play he has NHL potential. I don't think he has Vey's offensive abilities though.

May 31, 2006
He destroyed the Swedish junior league last year (he probably belonged in a men’s league), so it shouldn’t be surprising that he’s excelling against that same age group again.

HockeyNightInAsia

Mar 22, 2020
Not only the goal itself, but the whole shift making smart decisions keeping the possession leading up to the goal. Yeah, nothing fancy, but that's perfect if we are looking at our future 3C spot wink wink.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad