Prospect Info: 214th overall: Vancouver selects Arvid Costmar (C, Linköping)

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
nice to see some production out of one our obscure swedish centres. he can battle linus karlsson.

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
Played 8:37 and had 3 shots this morning, so that's back-to-back games with 3 shots in limited mins (not bad). 6 of his 8 shots have come in his last 2 games (has play 9 games on the season), but he's still searching for his 1st point.

Reactions: Disappointed EP40

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Is Costmar a candidate to make the Swedish WJHC team for the World Championships next month?

If so, that's where you'd get a better handle on his progress playing against the best players in his own age, instead of men in the SHL.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Is Costmar a candidate to make the Swedish WJHC team for the World Championships next month?

If so, that's where you'd get a better handle on his progress playing against the best players in his own age, instead of men in the SHL.

He's expected to make the team.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
William Eklund, and Karl Henriksson are both out of the WJC due to Covid, so Costmar now has a top 6 C spot locked down.
I can’t recall Vancouver ever having so many late picks at the WJC. They always had the high picks but this year seems unusual. Hopefully that’s a sign that a couple of the later picks have a decent chance of becoming NHL players down the road. It would help to compensate for having no first or second round pick this past draft.
Ps. Thanks for all of your updates. It’s been great to have some actual hockey reports during this strange off season!

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I can’t recall Vancouver ever having so many late picks at the WJC. They always had the high picks but this year seems unusual. Hopefully that’s a sign that a couple of the later picks have a decent chance of becoming NHL players down the road. It would help to compensate for having no first or second round pick this past draft.
Ps. Thanks for all of your updates. It’s been great to have some actual hockey reports during this strange off season!
I agree. Participation in the WJHC is no guarantee of a pro career, but it's still be significant jumping off point. Without knowing the official numbers, I'd still say that a much higher percentage of players who make the tournament, eventually sign pro contracts and go on to play meaningful games as a pro, even if that all don't make the NHL.

So any time you can take a flyer on kids in rounds 4-7, and most of them have improved enough in their draft-plus-one year to represent their country in the WJHC, it has to be encouraging.

Deeds26

Nov 11, 2006
Denied on a partial breakaway but converts a perfect pass from Soderstrom to score and tie the game at 1-1

Reactions: lindgren

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->