Post-Game Talk: 21.r1.g1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
People saying 92 is addition but subtraction have lost their mind.

kuzy has been a playoff performer for us. Even when we have lost in playoffs he has performed.

anyone who thinks it’s good he’s not playing are just trying to convince themselves of something they know isn’t good.

When Oshie - who is super slow has to play center bc our legit #2 center we spent half of Ovis career finding can’t play - it sucks.

worst part is no update.
Kuzy isnt on the team stop worrying about him

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
Pretty pissed at how Lavi has handled this situation to be honest.

This team needs Kuznetsov playing to beat Boston. We’re not going to win with Oshie as the f***ing 3rd line center, Jesus Christ.

Not only do we have a game breaker out of the lineup, we’re also completely wasting the talents of one of our best players, putting him in a position he’s OK at but not effective at whatsoever.

Whatever. Hope the early summer golfing was worth standing your ground on what’s bound to be the stupidest f***ing reason once we find out.

Last edited:

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada

This team needs Kuznetsov playing to beat Boston. We’re not going to win with Oshie as the f***ing 3rd line center, Jesus Christ.

Not only do we have a game breaker out of the lineup, we’re also completely wasting the talents of one of our best players, putting him in a position he’s OK at but not effective at whatsoever.

Whatever. Hope the early summer golfing was worth standing your ground on what’s bound to be the stupidest f***ing reason once we find out.
I still believe that Kuzy got himself on Covid protocol, which would not be up to Lavi. So in that case, Lavi and his staff would just be doing their best to compensate for a situation that Kuzy created and is responsible for.

That said, if the coaches have any discretion in this situation, IMO there's zero chance 92 is held out without at least tacit agreement of the player leadership. And if that's the case, it would suggest that the players believe they are better off without him.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
4th line with the gritty GWG in a 4-2 Caps Victory.

SlowEveryKomododragon-size_restricted.gif

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
yep, agreed, although he could have it and Lavi still doesn’t want to talk about it. If this was a beloved player for Lavi, I think we would have heard something by now. The silence is more damning IMO.

If they are legit on the COVID list and were exposed as a result of breaking both league COVID rules and team rules, what Lavy doesnt want to talk about is what happens afterward.

Its a reasonable guess that the 4 players that missed 4 games earlier for breaking rules were told that cant happen again and that the penalty would be severe. Right? Zero tolerance.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
if the coaches have any discretion in this situation, IMO there's zero chance 92 is held out without at least tacit agreement of the player leadership. And if that's thr case, it would suggest that the players believe they are better off without him.

I think the zero chance he is held out needs to take into account that these players have already broken COVID rules and missed significant games. It makes perfect sense that these players were threatened with severe penalties were this behavior to be repeated. Right?

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I think the zero chance he is held out needs to take into account that these players have already broken COVID rules and missed significant games. It makes perfect sense that these players were threatened with severe penalties were this behavior to be repeated. Right?
Yes, but the team and Lavi's job is to win. If 92 is available and the coaches and players believe he'd improve the odds of them doing that job successfully, I have a hard time thinking they keep him out by choice. Plus also, warnings or no, if the players think Lavi is submarining their chances, that's bad for the room and culture too. I just think it would have to be a collective decision.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
Whatever it is - doesn’t matter. Kuzy is out this series.

I made my points. Sucks. Now let’s hope Boston plays bad (because we aren’t beating them otherwise).

maybe they’ll be back second round... or if we are out by then - we probably saw kuzys last game for us.

Also - if there were major issues keeping it silent to get best trade value is important. Saying he’s kicked off team would be devastating in the value he could return when you add in his no trades, etc. too he has.

have to be smart / even if that makes us keep wondering wtf is going on with this team this year. Being most old team they sure didn’t act like it this year...

Reactions: Neil Racki

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

May I offer a reasonable scenario and then ask for your response? Kuzy and Sammy plus Ov and Orlov broke COVID rules and got busted. Kuzy and Sammy actually got COVID. They missed a minimum of 4 games as a result. The team told them at the time if they broke those rules again, they would be suspended for the season. After what happened the first time, who would do it again?

Now, they do it again. Because the team needs Kuzy they just tell him, nevermind? The entire team would know about this. You would just skip it?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Yes, but the team and Lavi's job is to win. If 92 is available and the coaches and players believe he'd improve the odds of them doing that job successfully, I have a hard time thinking they keep him out by choice..

And if the players feel differently? Same players that watched TJ Oshie jump thru hoops not to miss a game? If Ov and Backstrom say, they dont want him back, then what?

BTW....did I miss something? Has Kuzy been announced as out for the series? Ive seen nothing like that

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
https://media.nhl.com/site/asset/public/ext/2020-21/2020-21PositiveTestProtocol.pdf

4.1 FOR AN INDIVIDUAL WHO WAS ASYMPTOMATIC DURING THE ENTIRE PERIOD OF THEIR ISOLATION
Time-Based Strategy:
• Upon the passage of 10 days since the first positive test, provided the individual has remained asymptomatic during the entire period of their self-isolation; and
• Satisfaction of the Additional Criteria in 4.3, below
4.2 FOR AN INDIVIDUAL WHO WAS SYMPTOMATIC AT THE TIME OF TESTING, OR WHO DEVELOPED SYMPTOMS DURING THE PERIOD OF ISOLATION
Symptoms-Based Strategy:
• If at least 10 days have passed since symptoms first appeared, and at least 24 hours have passed since last fever without the use of fever-reducing medications, and symptoms (e.g., cough, shortness of breath, etc.) have improved; or
Test-Based Strategy:
• The individual has tested negative twice on the basis of the CDC Test-Based Strategy after the resolution of any fever (without use of fever-reducing medications) and has experienced improvement in symptoms (e.g., cough, shortness of breath); and
• Satisfaction of the Additional Criteria in 4.3, below
4.3 ADDITIONAL CRITERIA
• In addition, the Club Physician, its infectious disease expert, and any other treating physician providing care to the individual, must conclude that the individual no longer presents a risk of infection to others, and that it is medically appropriate (given individual and local circumstances) to terminate the requirement for self-isolation, and
• The termination of the isolation requirement is consistent with applicable local public health regulations or other requirements.

It's been 10 days, so I assume at this point both Kuznetsov and Samsonov either currently have or had COVID a second time, with symptoms.

If I'm not mistaken, the team cannot just keep these players on the COVID list unless they are unfit to play based on the protocols in the attached document. It's the determination of the doctors, not of the coach/GM/whoever else.

Maybe these players won't re-enter the lineup when they are off the COVID list due to disciplinary action, but right now they aren't in the lineup because they are on the COVID list, not because the team has decided they don't want them in the lineup.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
https://media.nhl.com/site/asset/public/ext/2020-21/2020-21PositiveTestProtocol.pdf

It's been 10 days, so I assume at this point both Kuznetsov and Samsonov either currently have or had COVID a second time, with symptoms.

If I'm not mistaken, the team cannot just keep these players on the COVID list unless they are unfit to play based on the protocols in the attached document. It's the determination of the doctors, not of the coach/GM/whoever else.

Maybe these players won't re-enter the lineup when they are off the COVID list due to disciplinary action, but right now they aren't in the lineup because they are on the COVID list, not because the team has decided they don't want them in the lineup.

If they are on the COVID list, what update could Laviolette have today to promise for tomorrow? Could it be they are being released off that list today and Lavy would know that?

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
People saying 92 is addition but subtraction have lost their mind.

kuzy has been a playoff performer for us. Even when we have lost in playoffs he has performed.

anyone who thinks it’s good he’s not playing are just trying to convince themselves of something they know isn’t good.

When Oshie - who is super slow has to play center bc our legit #2 center we spent half of Ovis career finding can’t play - it sucks.

worst part is no update.

I think deep down, everyone knows the lineup would be better with this extremely talented idiot in it and playing well instead of being MIA.

Reactions: IafrateOvie34

crab

Jan 26, 2019
Meh they had key guys miss games during the cup run. They won’t have a long run without Kuzy but they can definitely win this series.

Lines seem odd but I trust Lavi.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
If they are on the COVID list, what update could Laviolette have today to promise for tomorrow? Could it be they are being released off that list today and Lavy would know that?

I don't know. I would think he'd have an idea if they are about to be cleared from COVID protocol, and if I'm not mistaken the NHL releases daily updates to their COVID list at 5 pm. So it could be that. Or he could just plan on telling the media that they have COVID and aren't close to being cleared. I have no idea.

Hopefully he sheds some light tomorrow instead of just giving a nebulous non-update, but I think it's very likely both have/had symptomatic COVID for a second time based on them being on the list for more than 10 days. Hopefully it's two mild cases and they are just waiting for the clock to run out in terms of required isolation under the positive test protocol.

Reactions: Hivemind

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Meh they had key guys miss games during the cup run. They won’t have a long run without Kuzy but they can definitely win this series.

Lines seem odd but I trust Lavi.

The can win without Kuzy. Full stop.

2. Lavy says nothing about an "update". He said he would answer questions about them tomorrow. Right now he doesnt want to talk about them at all.

Reactions: crab

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
The reason I don't think it's a punishment for Kuzy and Sammy is because Sammy should have a lot more rope. He's just a kid. It doesn't make sense to punish him the same as Kuzy who's a grown ass man with a wife and kids.

So I still have to conclude they are out because of actually having covid, not as some punishment for missing Oshie's dad's funeral or whatever the latest speculation is.

what punishment? And why couldn’t it easily be both? Dumbasses broke protocol, got covid, missed team function? Seems plausible.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I don't know. I would think he'd have an idea if they are about to be cleared from COVID protocol, and if I'm not mistaken the NHL releases daily updates to their COVID list at 5 pm. So it could be that. Or he could just plan on telling the media that they have COVID and aren't close to being cleared. I have no idea.

Hopefully he sheds some light tomorrow, but I think it's very likely both have/had symptomatic COVID for a second time. Hopefully it's two mild cases and they are just waiting for the clock to run out.

I just watched that presser. To say he said he would have an update is not accurate. He said that he would entertain questions about them. So he could just as easily say nothing has changed. All that I got out of it is his attitude about not wanting to talk about them today isnt a good sign for the relationship between the team, players and Kuzy and Sammy.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
what punishment? And why couldn’t it easily be both? Dumbasses broke protocol, got covid, missed team function? Seems plausible.

Bottom line for me is it seems just about required that in order to get COVID they would have had to break COVID rules. As they are repeat offenders and you would guess warned that repeating that would be bad, being on the COVID list at all would seem to be a sign of bad things to come

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad