Post-Game Talk: #21: FLYERS 2 at Sabres 5, Wednesday, Nov. 21, 2018, 7:30 p.m. ET

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
@Tripod apparently Jordan and Jojo are still together, but his relationship with Aaron was still frosty. Then the other day Aaron posts asking for donations to help combat the wildfires, and ****ing Jordan and the other brother, Luke, got all hot and salty, saying something like "Oh yeah, real responsible, but failed to check on his own mother, who was sitting in a car waiting to escape the fires." I still think Jojo is the biggest b***h, but everyone involved is a basic b***h.
Lol...I had to google who you were talking about. I missed their season so didn't recognized their names.

Note...they are expecting a baby!

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I was talking about the time Beef told you that while Ghost is on the ice we don't get scored on a lot but our save percentage is pretty normal and you calling that "statistical mumbo jumbo". Then you used +/- after saying GA/60 isn't reliable.
Well, now there's a disingenuous or misunderstood regurgitation. I wouldn't expect anything more. That stat did absolutely nothing to prove what Striiker, you, and others thought it proved. GA/60 accounts for zero context and doesn't distinguish among players; rather, it treats each player on the ice for a goal against as being equally responsible. If you can't recognize the innate problem with using that to prove or disprove that an individual player makes more than his share of bad mistakes, that's on you.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Keith flying in to Canada....
IMG_2058.gif

All women on Earth would be so ****ed if he ever got airborne. You know how ladies' menstrual cycles are controlled by the Moon? That fat **** getting too close would drag the Moon into his orbit and Jobu alone knows what would happen then, but periods would be completely out of whack. We'd all have to buy new calendars to keep track of the changes.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
no problem

i just don't know what im dealing with on this board.

half the board who are angry hate hextall so for all I know somebody could be mad at me for making a positive comment about the farm system.

No problem, understood. It's just a great South Park episode related gif poking fun at Hextall's legendary patience.

magnumpi

Roger got goofy with Cancer
Apr 22, 2018
Splitting (psychology) Splitting (also called black-and-white thinking or all-or-nothing thinking) is the failure in a person's thinking to bring together the dichotomy of both positive and negative qualities of the self and others into a cohesive, realistic whole. It is a common defense mechanism used by many people.
Splitting (psychology) - Wikipedia

Splitting (psychology) - Wikipedia

1) i agree with hakstol criticism.
2) There seems to be a mentality among some posters that there's certain scripts that needs to be followed - in other words.......

Haag is Hakstol's boy, which is undoubtedly true.
But somehow that's gone to the next level of criticizing Ghost means you're pumping up Haag and thus defending Hakstol.

Thats one example.

This is essentially splitting, except these people aren;t applying it to themselves they're applying it to hockey players and I guess another poster who goes outside this script is preaching blasphemy.

Why cant I dislike Hakstol, think Haag would be fine as #6 going forward, and would like to see Ghost or Sanheim play with Provorov, and at the same time have my eyes open to notice poor plays by sanheim and ghost??

Why can't someone think like that here?

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
So I've set the DVR to record the replay (2am-4am). Looks like I didn't miss anything by skipping this game and watching the Sixers instead. I'm bummed, because the other DVR option was PSU MBB, but they lost by 3. The Sixers game was fun, is the replay even worth watching?

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
All women on Earth would be so ****ed if he ever got airborne. You know how ladies' menstrual cycles are controlled by the Moon? That fat **** getting too close would drag the Moon into his orbit and Jobu alone knows what would happen then, but periods would be completely out of whack. We'd all have to buy new calendars to keep track of the changes.

I’m not gonna lie I liked Tkachuk back in the day. Pretty much because he’s an old school power forward & an American.

I honestly liked a lot of those New Englander’s of that era. Leetch, LeClair, Roenick, Tkachuk, Amonte, etc.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
@Tripod apparently Jordan and Jojo are still together, but his relationship with Aaron was still frosty. Then the other day Aaron posts asking for donations to help combat the wildfires, and ****ing Jordan and the other brother, Luke, got all hot and salty, saying something like "Oh yeah, real responsible, but failed to check on his own mother, who was sitting in a car waiting to escape the fires." I still think Jojo is the biggest b***h, but everyone involved is a basic b***h.

JoJo is a smoke show , def top 3 all time.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
1) i agree with hakstol criticism.
2) There seems to be a mentality among some posters that there's certain scripts that needs to be followed - in other words.......

Haag is Hakstol's boy, which is undoubtedly true.
But somehow that's gone to the next level of criticizing Ghost means you're pumping up Haag and thus defending Hakstol.

Thats one example.

This is essentially splitting, except these people aren;t applying it to themselves they're applying it to hockey players and I guess another poster who goes outside this script is preaching blasphemy.

Why cant I dislike Hakstol, think Haag would be fine as #6 going forward, and would like to see Ghost or Sanheim play with Provorov, and at the same time have my eyes open to notice poor plays by sanheim and ghost??

Why can't someone think like that here?

Why are you waiting for affirmation from someone else? Believe whatever you want. You are Thomas ****ing Magnum, not Nancy Drew - you can decide for yourself.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I’m not gonna lie I liked Tkachuk back in the day. Pretty much because he’s an old school power forward & an American.

I honestly liked a lot of those New Englander’s of that era. Leetch, LeClair, Roenick, Tkachuk, Amonte, etc.

Let me ask you this - were you ever worried that grocers on the East Coast would run out of American cheese slices when he came back to visit Boston?

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004

When I first moved to Winnipeg for college , Jets would come to “The A” bar we would go to, that guy would stroll in every time and grab the biggest smoke show in the bar and leave every damn time. Seen it more than once.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Thought you guys looked very good after the first. There really is a good amount of talent on the Flyers roster and it's a testament to what complete toilet water Hakstal is as a coach that your record is so bad. Even a mediocre coach would probably get this team to the playoffs.
I want a new coach, but no coach is getting this team to the playoffs unless the goaltending miraculously improves.

Reactions: DaphneLion

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
But the prospects remain in the AHL, while the coaching staff prefers to give veteran players the ice time that the youth should be getting.
not really true. We have quite a few young players on the NHL club. Only Myers, Hart, vorby are the high end guys...and it's probably better that they get lots of AHL time.

Right or wrong sanheim is being sheltered...Myers would be like the 7th dman...

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
When I first moved to Winnipeg for college , Jets would come to “The A” bar we would go to, that guy would stroll in every time and grab the biggest smoke show in the bar and leave every damn time. Seen it more than once.

By smoke show you mean smoked pork, yes? He would grab the biggest slices of meat and inhale them until the chair collapsed beneath him? The fat ****.

flyers0909

Nothing Matters
Jul 10, 2007
Well, now there's a disingenuous or misunderstood regurgitation. I wouldn't expect anything more. That stat did absolutely nothing to prove what Striiker, you, and others thought it proved. GA/60 accounts for zero context and doesn't distinguish among players; rather, it treats each player on the ice for a goal against as being equally responsible. If you can't recognize the innate problem with using that to prove or disprove that an individual player makes more than his share of bad mistakes, that's on you.

Absolutely not a disingenuous regurgitation, you said it.

If he were generating so many high quality chances against it would be resulting in more goals against. That hasn't occurred, and he isn't freakishly lucky in save percentage either. It doesn't add up.

Sounds like a bunch of statistical mumbo jumbo to me, because it’s blatantly clear by watching the games that he has a terrible habit of turning it over via forced rushes & passes & is responsible for more odd man breaks than anyone else on the team.

And what do you mean it hadn’t occurred? At -8 last night he was far and away worst among the D (and whole team I think).

You then said the same thing about how GA can't be reliable but then said there's a reason Ghost is -8. In what world is that not a contradiction? How can you say GA can't be used but then discredit Ghost by using +/-? Not to mention +/- takes into account offensive numbers, which has nothing to do with your point.

What % of the goals against he’s on the ice for are directly attributable to him? You can’t assume all 6 players are equally at fault for each goal against.

There’s a reason he entered last night’s game at -8, worst on the team.

And +/- isn’t “meaningless” when used relative to teammates. It’s certainly flawed, but it doesn’t mean it’s meaningless. There’s a reason Couturier consistently leads the Flyers. There’s a reason Simmonds is consistently near the bottom. There’s a reason Bobby Clarke & Mark Howe put up astronomical +/- stats & were consistently at the top of their teams.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

Was it like when Mongo came strolling into town in Blazing Saddles & walked into the bar?

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
Maybe I'm lucky that their next game is on a Friday morning for me..
At work today, my manager suggested I put in an episodic request to work from home on Friday, which is pretty cool and unexpected. Most folks just take the holiday, but I'm saving the time, so this is the next best thing, like an in service day. I had planned on trying to follow the game while at work, cause let's be honest, not a lot of office work gets done the day following one of the big three holidays (T-day, X-Mas, NY Day). Now that I can actually just watch, do I want to?

magnumpi

Roger got goofy with Cancer
Apr 22, 2018
Why are you waiting for affirmation from someone else? Believe whatever you want. You are Thomas ****ing Magnum, not Nancy Drew - you can decide for yourself.

and thomas magnum looked at all angles before coming to a conclusion.

He didn't start tearing into Higgins, Rick or TC if they didn;t immediately lock into his line of thought.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad