Post-Game Talk: #21: FLYERS 2 at Sabres 5, Wednesday, Nov. 21, 2018, 7:30 p.m. ET

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
this is my point

Provorov
Ghost
TK
Sanheim,
Lindblom
Patrick
Haag

have become regulars over the past 3 seasons. I'm worried if they stopped in the AHL or not. I'm speaking about drafting players or maybe acquiring young undrafted players. Where the above players played prior to becoming regulars is not my concern.

I responded to someone saying we've been hearing for years about the flyers prospects and he seemed to be implying none of them have made an impact.
That was a false statement.

Any other discussion on the board is not being referenced in my comments.
I'm saying that none of those prospects have made a (edit-) meaningful and lasting impact, the ones you listed.

At the beginning of the Hex/Hak partnership, none of those guys were on the team and this was a middling club on the playoff bubble. 4 years later, and it's likely they are in the same place (a game below .500 at American Thanksgiving, one team trailing has two games in hand, other teams tied with in points have a game in hand typically indicates this is not a playoff team). 3 years past of the Hex/Hak partnership they are a middling club on the playoff bubble. Add in the one year of Hex/Beurbe and the status quo has remained the same.

While I enjoy watching those younger players perform, especially over the placeholder du jour, none of those guys are moving the needle in a meaningful way that results in wins on the ice. Ghost had the obvious impact his rookie year, and TK had strong flashes and impact for half of his 2nd year, Patrick half of his rookie year, and that's about it. Provorov last year too.

Just having young guys isn't enough if those players aren't featured. And aside from Provorov, it'd be hard to argue any of those players are featured in a manner similar to an age-&-hype peer preform on other current NHL teams.

Adding nuance to what I've already said.

Reactions: gertbfrobe16

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Oh...might as well save Deadhead some time.

We all saw what happens when you get no goaltending vs good goaltending. No coach can be blamed for Lyon.

Hagg played a lot and played well. Ghost was -3. Time to focus on giving blame to the "stars".

Boo hoo Sanheim played 16 minutes. Easily pushed off the puck and has not earned the trust of any coaches. Maybe next year when he adds 10 lbs of muscle.

Lehtera barely played. Placeholder for when Vorobyev or Rubstov grow up.

Folin goes in for AMac and was bad. I guess AMAc is not the issue you all want him to be.

I don't care about Hak one way or the other. No coach is available that would want this job right now. Hextall is planning on the future. You all better get on board too.

Sound fair?

Great job, except you skipped another crappy game by Voracek.

TK blew scoring chance after scoring chance, just not his night.

Lyon was terrible, couldn't control a rebound to save his life and that 4th goal . . .

The penalty on Weal was an atrocity.

Sanheim is great on offense, but once again an adventure in his D-zone, horrible turnover to Middlestadt and knocked off the puck a few times, yep, he needs some muscle.

Patrick and Lindblom did not play well, there's a reason their minutes were limited.

Ghost has looked off all season, there's something wrong with him, but that doesn't explain being backed up into his goal, is he channeling AMac?

magnumpi

Roger got goofy with Cancer
Apr 22, 2018
I'm saying that none of those prospects have made a (edit-) meaningful and lasting impact, the ones you listed.

At the beginning of the Hex/Hak partnership, none of those guys were on the team and this was a middling club on the playoff bubble. 4 years later, and it's likely they are in the same place (a game below .500 at American Thanksgiving, one team trailing has two games in hand, other teams tied with in points have a game in hand typically indicates this is not a playoff team). 3 years past of the Hex/Hak partnership they are a middling club on the playoff bubble. Add in the one year of Hex/Beurbe and the status quo has remained the same.

While I enjoy watching those younger players perform, especially over the placeholder du jour, none of those guys are moving the needle in a meaningful way that results in wins on the ice. Ghost had the obvious impact his rookie year, and TK had strong flashes and impact for half of his 2nd year, Patrick half of his rookie year, and that's about it. Provorov last year too.

Just having young guys isn't enough if those players aren't featured. And aside from Provorov, it'd be hard to argue any of those players are featured in a manner similar to an age-&-hype peer preform on other current NHL teams.

Adding nuance to what I've already said.

I'm viewing this from the mindset that I've been watching the flyers since 1985.
At that time they had an influx of young talent

However since that time, the addition of young talent has been sporadic.

I'm viewing this as a mass addition of young talent compared to the past 30 seasons.
defense alone - that's 4, with a couple more in the wings.
there's been a handful of dman over the past 30 years - gord murphy, therien, niinama, pitkanen. anyone else? terthisny should have been good. jiri latal,

my entire argument is based solely on the aspect of the pipeline being better than its been since the mid 80's. How its being implemented is another discussion.

Reactions: gertbfrobe16

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
Herr's ruffles are the standby when I can get them. I like stopping at the WaWa across the factory because my theory is that those are the freshest chips you can get.
This is a short sighted reply. I take for granted that I think you are a Pennsylvania resident. But Centreville, Pa would likely make you a western PA fan. There's also towns named that in MD and DE, which could suggest a reason for lack of chip knowledge. There is a much broader world than Herrs. Generic PA chip- Utz > Herr's. Snyder of Hanover, Snyder of Berlin, honorable mentions.

Some more entertaining than Flyers hockey internet reads about potato chips:

Investigating Pennsylvania's Very Particular Penchant for Potato Chips

The 15 Regional Chip Brands We Wish Were Sold Nationwide
(numbers 8, 9, & 10 are PA outfits)

Crunch Off: From Herr's to Utz, which Pennsylvania potato chip is tops?
(Middleswarth is one of my favorites when in Central Pa/it's readily available, Martin's is also a damn fantastic chip)

Potato Chips | Taste Test
(just because, even if I don't agree with the results. f*** Lays.)

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Is it annoying if I try and give Hakstol credit for not letting the game completely unravel after the first?

To have such a good second period after such a poor one has to allow for a little bit of praise, no?

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
Alex Lyon not an NHL calibre goaltender?
Anybody but the guy on this board who posted that Lyon would instantly get claimed on Waivers knew that already.

Sabres playing high pressure speed hockey? The whole league and the fans knew that before. Someon should have told the Flyers before the game!

Hasktol still in charge as the HC? ... I'm no longer watching until this mess is cleaned up

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
This is a short sighted reply. I take for granted that I think you are a Pennsylvania resident. But Centreville, Pa would likely make you a western PA fan. There's also towns named that in MD and DE, which could suggest a reason for lack of chip knowledge. There is a much broader world than Herrs. Generic PA chip- Utz > Herr's. Snyder of Hanover, Snyder of Berlin, honorable mentions.

Some more entertaining than Flyers hockey internet reads about potato chips:

Investigating Pennsylvania's Very Particular Penchant for Potato Chips

The 15 Regional Chip Brands We Wish Were Sold Nationwide
(numbers 8, 9, & 10 are PA outfits)

Crunch Off: From Herr's to Utz, which Pennsylvania potato chip is tops?
(Middleswarth is one of my favorites when in Central Pa/it's readily available, Martin's is also a damn fantastic chip)

Potato Chips | Taste Test
(just because, even if I don't agree with the results. **** Lays.)

You're off a couple states; I'm in VA.

Hence why Herr's are a delicavy.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

DirkStarlight

Jan 22, 2011
f*** the game, I almost got beat up outside Buffalo. I thought it was funny they wrang up my brother's drinks as sex on the beach. The tab was paid but the bartender wanted to explain it. We didn't f***ing care, I just thought it was funny.

I even made friends there, shit talking the flyers and eagles. Saying the bills are one year away and can pull magic out of their ass like the eagles.

Long story short, we were kicked out of the bar at closing with assholes trying to beat us up. I don't even think it had anything to do with hockey.

f*** lyon. f*** haksol. f*** hextall. Excuse me while I pass out and drive back to Philly tomorrow morning.

Reactions: Ruck Over

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
First period was brutal. The Flyers had one good shift. Too many blue line turnovers. Looking flatfooted. Losing races to every puck. Lyon can't control rebounds. Team can't complete 10 foot passes.

Provorov handling the puck like a hand grenade again.

Folin lets Larsson blow by him. Missed an 8 foot outlet pass resulting in a rush against. Wasn't even close. Made me chuckle.

Hagg up on the cycle late in the 3rd and let me tell you every time the puck got to his stick he just chipped it to an area or fumbled it. Shocking, I know.

Sanheim: first egregious turnover I can remember in a while. Followed it up with strong play as usual. Keeping pucks alive- today pinched, got the puck low to Laughton, then camped in front of the net but Laughton couldn't connect ont he pass. Getting pucks through, leading to a goal tonight. Marked Middlestadt, forced him outside, poked it away, corralled it for the out.

Second and third period were better because the Sabres stopped attacking. Special teams are a problem again. Not a lot of forwards were good today other than Giroux who seemed to be in the middle of about 5 near misses. If they were more opportunistic they could have made this really interesting, but they weren't.

Happy Thanksgiving. I'm thankful for a team infused with speed and skill who are killer on transition offense. I'm not thankful for a coach who does not run a system to the strength of this team.

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
On the bright side... this is the proudest day of my life.
20181122_073249.jpg

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Is it annoying if I try and give Hakstol credit for not letting the game completely unravel after the first?

To have such a good second period after such a poor one has to allow for a little bit of praise, no?

Yes, it's super annoying, and he doesn't deserve credit for **** because he put them in the hole to begin with by - as usual - not having them ready to start a hockey game.

He's an insufferable and insupportable jackass.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
If Jake or Ghost (based on the first few pages) go before Ding Hopperstick, I'm done with Hextall

Almost certainly a trade is gonna happen, Hak still being employed after these last 4 games and us saying f*** this season, he is Hexys guy no ,alter what.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
It's 2018 and there's still people who think +/- is a legit stat.

giphy.gif

Imagine being so dishonest and ignorant that you complain about other stats lacking context, but then you try to dump on Ghost using +/-. The amount of bias required to even attempt something so ridiculous... just blows my mind.

The agenda against Ghost couldn't be more transparent at this point. How incredibly embarrassing.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Jake either needs to be on the 1st line or traded, I think he's a bad fit for some reason with Lindblom and Patrick, and he only shows up every other game. At this point Jake is what he is, he'll never completely tap into his raw talent.

I'd have no problem trading Voracek at all if we got a good return, same with Simmonds.
Coach or no coach, this team needs to be shook up.

Lyon should get one more shot (maybe it was nerves), if he plays like this again, take him out back and put him out of his misery.
Pickard looked OK, but he's a backup.

Reactions: DaphneLion

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Jake either needs to be on the 1st line or traded, I think he's a bad fit for some reason with Lindblom and Patrick, and he only shows up every other game. At this point Jake is what he is, he'll never completely tap into his raw talent.

I'd have no problem trading Voracek at all if we got a good return, same with Simmonds.
Coach or no coach, this team needs to be shook up.

Lyon should get one more shot (maybe it was nerves), if he plays like this again, take him out back and put him out of his misery.
Pickard looked OK, but he's a backup.
You're on both ends of the spectrum in terms of unreasonable player expectations. You expect Jake to carry a team every night over the course of a season, and if he doesn't, he's not "tapping into his raw talent". Then on the other hand, you have no expectations on the back half of the lineup because they're not elite players.

Reactions: Curufinwe

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad