Post-Game Talk: #21 | FLYERS 1 at Rangers 4 | Wednesday, Dec. 1, 2021 | 7:00 pm ET | NHLN, MSG, NBCSP+

Ironmanrulez

#nEvErrEbUiLd #nEvErpLaYyOuTh #nEverpLaYsKiLL
Jul 1, 2010
Cologne, Germany
I'm at a similar place.

It's not a coaching issue nearly as much as it's a player issue. The same things keep happening regardless of coach. Lack of focus, laziness, failing to move their feet, failure to execute the simplest of plays. They aren't good enough, for one (and that's the overarching issue), but these issues make the problem much worse.

I also would change to Torts just to make the players' lives a living hell for their concentration lapses and inconsistent effort. And because this team is so boring that Torts would at least provide some form of entertainment.

And I'm ready to continue with a scrap and rebuild. I don't think everyone needs to go, but their oldest players do. And some of the younger ones, too.
But players who left this franchise perform very well. How's that?

Hanover Fist

Aug 22, 2018
1313 Mockingbird Lane
He broke even on a roster where almost everyone else got caved in. I'd say he did pretty well.

He's definitely proving your idea that he couldn't improve on Thompson was nonsense
If a few expected mistakes a rookie makes means that he’s not ready. how in the hell is a 37 year old vet that makes mistakes every frigging shift and contributes not a god damn thing ready

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
You are insulting the intelligence of everyone on here if you expect anyone to believe that EVERYONE was wrong about ALL those prospects, rather than simply admitting that it is far more likely the development failed them.

But at the same time a consensus among a group of hockey professionals is infallible.

Except for this.

Weird.

WayneCashman

Nov 29, 2021
Lou Lamoriello? Jeez.... dude....

Talk about hiring a dinosaur. The dude even has some weird fetish about facial and long hair. The guy is trying so hard to compensate.

Correction - Lou Lamorielli0-like would have been better to say

WayneCashman

Nov 29, 2021
It's really quite something to behold that over 10 years and through -

3 GMs
5 coaches
2 Presidents
and multiple roster turnovers

the Flyers manage to keep assembling slow, uncompetitive, teams.

When you see the changes that have occurred at all levels of the organization, it's baffling.

What is the constant?

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
What is the constant?

Giroux. Holmgren. Clarke. Probably a lot of other lower profile folks too. Scouts, trainers, advisors, medical staff.

Giroux is not a problem.

Holmgren? Clarke? I have no idea how much input they actually have. Homer probably has had more over the past ten years just because he was more recently in an executive role.

The easy answer is to say it's their 'old' way of thinking that is responsible. But I really don't believe it's that simple.

My honest opinion is that it's less about 'old' way of thinking and more about them just not being able to build the right kind of team with the right kind of coaching, even with modern approaches.

So I believe all of these guys bleed orange and black. They want to win. They just haven't been able to put all the right pieces together.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
You are insulting the intelligence of everyone on here if you expect anyone to believe that EVERYONE was wrong about ALL those prospects, rather than simply admitting that it is far more likely the development failed them.

Well, if those prospects were that good, you'd expect them to go elsewhere and shine, like Williams, Sharp and Seidenberg did.

So who has blossomed once they escaped the Flyer Gulag?

Vorobyev and Kase aren't exactly tearing up the KHL and Czech league.
Has Twarynski been recalled to the Kraken yet?
Friedman is the #8 D-man in Pittsburgh (by TOI, he's played due to injuries)

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017
Well if you are okay with him scoring 6 of his 7 goals over a 5 game stretch then its safe to assume that you will be fine with JVR if he has a stretch like that to even things out?
Did I say I was ok...? I said, I do NOT disagree with your post, that means - 1 goal in 16 games is NOT ffing ok. At the same time, you cannot ignore the fact that Cam is still on pace to score 27 goals.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
27 is nice, but not amazing. JVR had 27 in 66 games the last time there was a full season.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Well I will say this, good or bad, you have Clark and Holmgren in the same building so who is really sure.. I think though that Fletcher is most certainly "responsible" for most things but that is not to say he has "final decision".. There are organizational charts and then there is the real power structure.

That’s a fantasy. Fletcher is in control, and it’s falling apart.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
It'll be interesting to find out in a couple years who made the major decisions like hiring AV, or going all in this season.
Fletcher? Scott? Holmgren advising Scott?
Was the decision to trade for Risto Fletcher's idea or pushed by AV.

We already know who the GM is, and why he made all those moves. He’s told us at length. This is like the nonsense where people claimed Ghost wasn’t hurt in 19-20, even though he publicly talked in detail about how his injuries affected him.

The Flyers are a terrible team this season. You don’t need to spend all day making excuses for Fletcher and imagining conspiracy theories for why that’s the case.

Reactions: Lindberg

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
@VladDrag @DancingPanther @landsbergfan — I’ve been briefly browsing pizzabuzz this week because our favorite Sith Lord is leading the campaign to fire Vigneault and Fletcher, is defending all the young players, is talking possession stats, etc. I agree with everything he says. It’s a f***ing hoot to read but also possibly a sign of the apocalypse and/or my eroding sanity. :laugh:

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
Steve Mason played 61 games and has a .917 SV% the year before Hextall took over.

Steven Mason played 51 games and had a .928 SV% in Hextall's first year.

Steve Mason played 54 games and had a .918 SV% in Hextall's second year.

That's not garbage, so I didn't read the rest of your post.

Mason was a terrific goalie here..

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
@VladDrag @DancingPanther @landsbergfan — I’ve been briefly browsing pizzabuzz this week because our favorite Sith Lord is leading the campaign to fire Vigneault and Fletcher, is defending all the young players, is talking possession stats, etc. I agree with everything he says. It’s a f***ing hoot to read but also possibly a sign of the apocalypse and/or my eroding sanity. :laugh:

Also constantly claiming that Hextall didn’t deserve to be fired. All those long winded essays about how good MacDonald and Hakstol were, were apparently all just based on loyalty to Ron’s regime.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
The amount of bad logic being applied here is pretty appalling.

The past 10 years is just a decade or so of bad scouting.

Trading Richards and Carter to sign Bryzgalov. Signing VLC. Not trading Simmonds before his expiration date. Drafting Morin, Rubstov, etc. Acquiring Hayes at his price tag. Drafting Nolan Patrick vice Makar/etc. Hiring Hakstol and then AV. Pronger going down although he wouldn't of stayed too much longer I suspect but the transition would have been far easier to swallow.

There does seem to be some stigma attached to the organization "Broad street bullies" and that really needs to go.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
We already know who the GM is, and why he made all those moves. He’s told us at length. This is like the nonsense where people claimed Ghost wasn’t hurt in 19-20, even though he publicly talked in detail about how his injuries affected him.

The Flyers are a terrible team this season. You don’t need to spend all day making excuses for Fletcher and imagining conspiracy theories for why that’s the case.

I was like what did I just read.

It's amusing and sad at the same time to read that, it's just like "I can't admit I'm wrong so I'll double down"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad