Post-Game Talk: #21 | FLYERS 1 at Rangers 4 | Wednesday, Dec. 1, 2021 | 7:00 pm ET | NHLN, MSG, NBCSP+

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Well, I'll add one thing:

While part of the reason Hextall was fired was his passivity and lack of progress, the bigger reason he was fired is because he pissed off too many people in the organization through his insular, dictatorial management style.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

While part of the reason Hextall was fired was his passivity and lack of progress, the bigger reason he was fired is because he pissed off too many people in the organization through his insular, dictatorial management style.

Holmgren only stepped down because his heir was about to be hired away somewhere, I believe. Not on merit, even though he'd earned a firing.

If Hextall's process had been more open and inclusive of the cronies, would he still be here? I wonder. The on-ice performance was bad, but it was made very clear that the management culture was the main peeve. That got harped on a whole lot. Without that culture, how much poor play would have been tolerated? They'd put up with a ton of error and futility with Holmgren.

I guess with Fletcher we are going to find out just how limitless the team's stomach for poor results is.

Last edited:

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019

Hextall had garbage at G and at D to start with. Pure GARBAGE. And yes he was flawed. Hak was a poor choice. Weise STUNK. JVR felt like the reaction of being told playoffs or else. But Hex drafted a bunch of NHL players. And he is light years ahead of Homer or Fletch. Not glowing recommendation of Hexy. But a d****** statement how bad Homer and Fletch truly are.

There is not ONE SINGLE MOVE FLETCHER HAS MADE THAT YOU CAN SAY IS 100% BETTER FOR THE LONG TERM OUTLOOK OF THIS TEAM. His best move was getting Nisky. Its about trading picks/youth/cap space for vets and not giving a D*** what the team looks like 3 years from now.

You know what the team will look like if you give Fletcher one more offseason and G walks? It will look like 89-90 season.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Homer had a tough situation. He was caught in an era when the cap was beginning to matter for the first time. The game was changing from the grittier style that he had played to a quicker motion filled game that he didn't seem to totally understand. Then there was the desire to get Snider a Cup before he died. There were things that he did that bombed but I'll say that the club had an identity, played to it and was entertaining. It's a heck of a lot better than what we have had to experience over the last eighteen months. I can't see Homer tolerating the dog and pony show that AV is trying to sell.

macleish1974

Crash.....Heart of a Lion
Aug 2, 2005
Florida Swampland
"We know how professional organizations and companies hold people accountable"........

We do??? My company never did, just daggers and poison pills .

In response to Rebels57's lizard: my cat wanting to eat a lizard:

maxresdefault.jpg

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Fletcher is Homer 2.0. Trade your picks, overpay your players, and never win a playoff series. This is more than changing a 3 year mentality. It changing a mentality that has existed post Lindros.

Fletcher wishes he was as successful as Homer, whose Flyers teams went from dead last in 2007 when he took over to :

• Conference Finals Loss to Cup Finalists in 2008
  • Quarterfinals Loss to Cup Champs in 2009
  • Stanley Cup Finals Loss in 2010
  • Semifinals Loss to Cup Champs in 2011
  • Semifinals Loss to Cup Finalists in 2012

Last edited:

marcsson68

Jan 23, 2018
Well if you are okay with him scoring 6 of his 7 goals over a 5 game stretch then its safe to assume that you will be fine with JVR if he has a stretch like that to even things out?
Good point but do you believe he will? Without Atkinson scoring himself?

Not that it matters though.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Holmgren only stepped down because his heir was about to be hired away somewhere, I believe. Not on merit, even though he'd earned a firing.

If Hextall's process had been more open and inclusive of the cronies, would he still be here? I wonder. The on-ice performance was bad, but it was made very clear that the management culture was the main peeve. That got harped on a whole lot. Without that culture, how much poor play would have been tolerated? They'd put up with a ton of error and futility with Holmgren.

I guess with Fletcher we are going to find out just how limitless the team's stomach for poor results is.
I tend to think Hextall would have at least lasted until the end of the 18/19 season if he hadn't rubbed so many people the wrong way. Though he was running out of leash with the lack of progress.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Cootsfanclub

For Oskar!
Mar 29, 2013
Hextall had garbage at G and at D to start with. Pure GARBAGE. And yes he was flawed. Hak was a poor choice. Weise STUNK. JVR felt like the reaction of being told playoffs or else. But Hex drafted a bunch of NHL players. And he is light years ahead of Homer or Fletch. Not glowing recommendation of Hexy. But a d****** statement how bad Homer and Fletch truly are.

There is not ONE SINGLE MOVE FLETCHER HAS MADE THAT YOU CAN SAY IS 100% BETTER FOR THE LONG TERM OUTLOOK OF THIS TEAM. His best move was getting Nisky. Its about trading picks/youth/cap space for vets and not giving a D*** what the team looks like 3 years from now.

You know what the team will look like if you give Fletcher one more offseason and G walks? It will look like 89-90 season.
Not to dismiss anything after, but Hextall came to power with a Steve Mason putting up 0.928 sv% and downright elite EV numbers.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
If it ever needed to be more clear, that this goes beyond the GM. Well… here is another taste to prove that.

As with Hextall, so much leeway given to a general manager - who is clearly married to the wrong coach, and a poor evaluator of the men behind the bench.

There is nobody to hold the GM to any accountability.

Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
AV saying they are going to have to find a way to win 1-0 is terrifying. He's going to double down on his nonsense and this crap is going to get even harder to watch.

it’s hard to win 1-0 if you cannot defend in your own zone. How many times a game do they leave guys wide open. It seems like every zone entry by the opposition guys are just left open. The problems are at both times ends of the ice. Goaltending can only save you so much.
Of course it would help if they played in 5 man units. The support between forwards and defense is non existent

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
it’s hard to win 1-0 if you cannot defend in your own zone. How many times a game do they leave guys wide open. It seems like every zone entry by the opposition guys are just left open. The problems are at both times ends of the ice. Goaltending can only save you so much.
Of course it would help if they played in 5 man units. The support between forwards and defense is non existent

Get ready for that Montreal/NYI Series Shell to make a comeback

Because it worked oh so well then.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014

You haven't even seen Fletcher's draft picks yet, and they are looking promising.

So stop. If you want to give Hextall credit for six drafts that turned out mediocre (I went through it yesterday) -- and the draft is ALL that Hextall focused on in his 5+ year tenure -- then you can't judge Fletcher until you start to see the results of his drafts in addition to how his other moves work out.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
You haven't even seen Fletcher's draft picks yet, and they are looking promising.

So stop. If you want to give Hextall credit for six drafts that turned out mediocre (I went through it yesterday) -- and the draft is ALL that Hextall focused on in his 5+ year tenure -- then you can't judge Fletcher until you start to see the results of his drafts in addition to how his other moves work out.
So which player do you know will contribute long term? None?
Thanks for playing!

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
“LEAVE FLETCHER ALONE!”

leave-britney-alone-crazy.gif

The “Fletcher was brought to clean up a mess” narrative maybe applies in year 1. Not year 3. Especially not when the narrative out of his and the team’s mouth was that this team is a contender. He went all in on making it one to the very best of his very mediocre ability. He inherited a treasure trove of assets and cap space, with low end playoff caliber NHL talent. He was allowed to write a blank check to a coach. I can’t imagine something more bullshit than saying poor lil’ Fletcher is still in a retooling phase.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Culture shock to some people
Provorov better than York
Farabee better than Brink
Lindblom pre cancer better pick than Wisdom
Frost is better than one year rental of Risto

And yet hexy is mediocre and Fletch is genius.

Never change diehards.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
“LEAVE FLETCHER ALONE!”

leave-britney-alone-crazy.gif

The “Fletcher was brought to clean up a mess” narrative maybe applies in year 1. Not year 3. Especially not when the narrative out of his mouth was that this team is a contender, and he went all in on making it one to the best of his mediocre ability. He inherited a treasure trove of assets and cap space. He was allowed to write a blank check to a coach. I can’t imagine something more bullshit than saying poor lil’ Fletcher is still in a retooling phase.

Uh, no. He didn't inherit the Rangers. He inherited the Flyers, where the only top pick was a total flop (Patrick).
Where the Previous GM gave $8.25M to Voracek and $7M to JVR.
Where out of 8 firsts and 6 2nd rd picks, he had Provorov, TK, Sanheim, Farabee, NAK and Hart - he might have had Frost and Allison, but they couldn't stay healthy.

He inherited a team coming off an 82 point season with G, Couts, Voracek, TK, Sanheim, Provorov, Farabee, JVR, Lindblom, Laughton, Gudas, NAK and Hart - so if they weren't good enough to win, where were the reinforcements coming from?

Not saying Fletcher did a great job, but he wasn't handed a great team either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad