21/22 Roster Speculation Thread Part IX - The trade deadline cometh Monday , March 21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
It doesn't seem like Point or Vasy took discounts.

I expect Cirelli & Cernak to want to get paid next summer.
But what salary is Cirelli going to get? He's a decent player, but not even close to Point. Cernak maybe, but I think they will want to keep him, since their situation with RDs does not look good. Palat's contract ends this summer, Killorn's next year, that will free them up to almost 10 million in the cap and they've already traded for Hagel.

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
Given where this team is, I would expect that Adams targets younger guys that might be pricing themselves off their current teams.
These guys aren't old. Fiala is 25, same age as Tuch, Dumba is 27, that's prime for a Dman. And our core pieces are similar in age to Tampa's at the time of the trade. At the time Kuch was 24, Point 22, Cirielli 20.

We don't need every guy on the team to be the exact same age. It's actually good to have a few slightly older proven guys. Look no further than Tuch as evidence.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
These guys aren't old. Fiala is 25, same age as Tuch, Dumba is 27, that's prime for a Dman. And our core pieces are similar in age to Tampa's at the time of the trade. At the time Kuch was 24, Point 22, Cirielli 20.

We don't need every guy on the team to be the exact same age. It's actually good to have a few slightly older proven guys. Look no further than Tuch as evidence.
Fiala will be the most likely guy in this conversation to be available in trade.

I would be mildly surprised if Dumba waived to come here, though.

And I like the Cirelli fit for what I see the Sabres needing than Fiala.

Reactions: itwasaforwardpass

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
Fiala will be the most likely guy in this conversation to be available in trade.

I would be mildly surprised if Dumba waived to come here, though.

And I like the Cirelli fit for what I see the Sabres needing than Fiala.
I wasn't proposing my trade as realistic, just closest potential comparable I could find quickly to the McDonough/Miller trade.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Dumba UFA in a year, that's the problem, and with all these crazy deals for defenders last summer, I'm afraid to hear how much Dumba wants in his next contract.

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
Dumba UFA in a year, that's the problem, and with all these crazy deals for defenders last summer, I'm afraid to hear how much Dumba wants in his next contract.
Everyone agrees the Mcdon+Miller acquisition was a big win for Tampa right? So shouldn't we be hoping to make similar trades?

McDonaugh was heading into the last year of his contract at age 27 when Tampa traded for him.

Dumba is also 27 heading into the last year of his contract. If Dumba is willing to come here given his M-NTC, i think it means he'd be willing to extend here as well.

How many other solid RHD are there out there 1 year away from UFA on a cap strapped team?

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Everyone agrees the Mcdon+Miller acquisition was a big win for Tampa right? So shouldn't we be hoping to make similar trades?

McDonaugh was heading into the last year of his contract at age 27 when Tampa traded for him.

Dumba is also 27 heading into the last year of his contract. If Dumba is willing to come here given his M-NTC, i think it means he'd be willing to extend here as well.

How many other solid RHD are there out there 1 year away from UFA on a cap strapped team?
No, I do not mean that I am against Dumba + Fiala, but I am not sure that Adams will go for it. Also cost is likely to be high.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
No, I mean specifically at the position of RD.

I would turn the question around - have you seen Dahlin play the right side (at the NHL level), and thought wow he looks better on his off hand side?

I'm not saying he's not capable of playing either side, but from my viewings he looks less comfortable handling on coming rushes from the right side and his best play as a pro has come on the left side.

Bryson on the other hand... That little dude looks comfortable on either side

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I would turn the question around - have you seen Dahlin play the right side (at the NHL level), and thought wow he looks better on his off hand side?

I'm not saying he's not capable of playing either side, but from my viewings he looks less comfortable handling on coming rushes from the right side and his best play as a pro has come on the left side.

Bryson on the other hand... That little dude looks comfortable on either side
And when did he play there for, for example, 5-10 games in a row? I don't remember one to compare. In any case, we should not trade Dahlin, Power or Samuelsson.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

The McDonagh/Miller trade is not a fitting comparable.

1) McDonagh/Miller were acquired at the trade deadline not in the offseason. Which means Tampa was guaranteed of at least two years of playoff runs with McD. Not just one season.

2) The Tampa core they were getting added to was in the playoffs 3 of the previous 4 seasons. Making it to the Conference Championship 2x and the Cup Finals 1x. They were a contender at the time of the trade beefing up their roster. Which impacts what a team is looking to do and willing to do trade-wise. We are clearly not close to being in that situation right now.

Last edited:

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I think Dumba + Fiala would be a closer comparable to the original trade, with the handedness of the Dman switched to what we need. The ages of the players basically match up too.

no

both of those are 1 yr to UFA. Big difference.

Dumba is a UFA at 29. I think McD was younger at the time he was resigned.

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
no

both of those are 1 yr to UFA. Big difference.

Dumba is a UFA at 29. I think McD was younger at the time he was resigned.
Nope. McD and Millers ages and contracts at the time of the trade line up almost perfectly with Dumba and Fiala now. Only difference was the trade happened in Feburary rather than the offseason.

At the time of the trade Feb 2018,

McD was 27 signed through 2019 (june birthday)
Miller was 24 on the last year of his RFA deal ending 2018 (march birthday)

Dumba is 27 signed through 2023 (june birthday)
Fiala is 25 on the last year of his rfa ending 2022 (jul birthday, so Fiala is 7 months older than Miller in this comparison)

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
1. Starting Goaltender - I prefer overpay on short term out of free agency first. Trade for a young starter with term and control second. Please no crappy old cap dump.

2. Top two pairing RD - Personally I prefer a trade to get someone the 23-26 range with term and team control. Yes you will have to pay some serious assets for this, but you have them to pay. I don't see Joker, Bryson, or Fitz as a true long term top pairing, so all three are on my list of assets available in such a trade.

Thats it! Maybe sign one FA forward and one FA D-man as extras. Thats all that HAS to be done before the next years starts in Buffalo. That said, once that's done.

3. It becomes time to patiently allowing the talent to develop and increase in value, while fishing for good hockey trades that improve the team by concentrating assets into more value per player, and creating balance.

I have Joker, Fitz, Bryson, Aspland, Bjork, all as no brainers to use in trades. Olofsson is a valuable player, but if he is needed to get item #1 or #2 I think his production will be replaced. Some mention Mittelstadt, but it would have to be a hell of a trade. As I see it we potentially have four top six centers, and I am not trading any of them until I know exactly what I am trading.

I think the need for "top pairing RHD" is overstated by some. Hedman plays with Ruttu. McAvoy plays with Grzelcyk or Reilly. Theodore is paired with Whitecloud or McNabb. Fox has Lindgren. Josi, Fabbro. None of those partners would be considered "top pairing D" on their own.

Dahlin and potentially Power are our "top pairing D." Those two plus Samuelsson are likely our heavy minute lifters. We just need to find defense partners that mesh well with and complement them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dingo44 and Jim Bob

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
I think the need for "top pairing RHD" is overstated by some. Hedman plays with Ruttu. McAvoy plays with Grzelcyk or Reilly. Theodore is paired with Whitecloud or McNabb. Fox has Lindgren. Josi, Fabbro. None of those partners would be considered "top pairing D" on their own.

Dahlin and potentially Power are our "top pairing D." Those two plus Samuelsson are likely our heavy minute lifters. We just need to find defense partners that mesh well with and complement them.

It’s extremely unlikely to happen, but I’d send Vegas’ 1st back to them for Whitecloud.

Yes, people who push back on anything I say on here, I know that trade is as likely as me being announced the new coach and GM of the Sabres.

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019

What can I say......I would like to do better than serviceable.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I think that Samuelsson could possibly man the 2nd pair if Power isn't quite ready. The easy solution is to have a vet guy that is a legit top four Dman in his own right to help Power along. Yes eventually (hopefully) Power just needs a RHD that fits him well without being an all-star. I just don't want him to have to carry his pairing while trying to fulfill the 2nd pair responsibilities. Not many top five draft picks have ever been able to do that in their first year or two. Best case is to get a legit top four guy...obviously easier said than done though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad