GDT: #21 – Sabres at Capitals – Fri Nov 25, 5:00PM ET – MSG-B

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
I don't know what you expect from him when he's stuck playing with scrubs most of the time and never gets consistent linemates. He always gets it done defensively and when he was put in a good position to contribute offensively he did.

"Stuck playing with scrubs most of the time."

Most frequent linemate at ES: Sam Reinhart. He's also Reinhart's most frequent linemate at ES.

Sam Reinhart. Scrub.

Girgensons has been given plenty of opportunities to produce at ES, and he hasn't. He's hardly alone in that regard, but let's not pretend that he's been "stuck playing with scrubs." That's false.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic

Most frequent linemate at ES: Sam Reinhart. He's also Reinhart's most frequent linemate at ES.

Sam Reinhart. Scrub.

Girgensons has been given plenty of opportunities to produce at ES, and he hasn't. He's hardly alone in that regard, but let's not pretend that he's been "stuck playing with scrubs." That's false.

It goes back to last season

Also he was pretty effective with Reinhart this season :dunno:

As for producing at ES, he had as many ES points as Kyle Okposo coming into tonight's game. I don't see anyone questioning Okposo's production.

Last edited:

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
How come the usual suspects aren't calling for Nilsson to play over Lehner? Or is that only when Nilsson stands on his head, not when he plays normal.

That's me. I'd rather Nilsson start the next game than Lehner, maybe the next 2. Lehner not playing was to protect his ego or to take some shine off Nilsson by offering him up as a sacrifice to one of the elite teams in the East. or. Lehner is already the back up & Bylsma thought Nilsson provided the Sabres with the best chance of winning against the Caps.

Normal Nilsson still allows 2 fewer goals than normal Lehner.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

Sam Reinhart. Scrub.

Girgs needs to play better without question and he isn't getting stuck with scrubs all the time. But it would be nice when he does play well if he was rewarded with more ice time.

Earlier in the season he had a handful of good games. Disco's reward was the same roughly 13 mins at ES and never giving him special teams ice time. I've got to believe never being rewarded when you play well and getting hammered by the coach when you don't has to be tough on his confidence. Players get confidence when they're involved and getting ice time.

It also doesn't help his confidence when Disco leapfrogs AHL journeyman like Grant and COR over him for special teams ice time without batting an eye. It's not even whether or not Girgs would be great or horrible on the PP. It's the fact that he never gets a chance but those two do. (Disco never lets Foligno play on the PP either for some reason). Girgs not getting much, if any, time on the PK is somewhat baffling to be honest.

Last edited:

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Didn't see the game, but it sure is fun to hear that dan is meeting expectations. Tho this repeated they just need to bury their chances protective amulet for bylsma is asinine. They could get all the breaks and all it would do is cover up his short comings.

schpaff

Sep 4, 2005
Girgs has not earned more ICE time. Coaching doesn't have anything to do with his playing time, he's had two years post Nolan to find a roll in his game. I've seen enough of plays dying on his stick and him falling to the ICE when he gets hit. Step up or step out.

Dahlin 2 Eichel

Sep 21, 2013
Roaming The Sewers
Girgs has not earned more ICE time. Coaching doesn't have anything to do with his playing time, he's had two years post Nolan to find a roll in his game. I've seen enough of plays dying on his stick and him falling to the ICE when he gets hit. Step up or step out.

This. I love Girgs 2 seasons ago but now I just don't have the same hope in him. He cant produce in this league. To Las Vegas or AHL he goes.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
I've seen plays die on many players sticks, more often than Girgensons.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Girgs needs to play better without question and he isn't getting stuck with scrubs all the time. But it would be nice when he does play well if he was rewarded with more ice time.

Earlier in the season he had a handful of good games. Disco's reward was the same roughly 13 mins at ES and never giving him special teams ice time. I've got to believe never being rewarded when you play well and getting hammered by the coach when you don't has to be tough on his confidence. Players get confidence when they're involved and getting ice time.

It also doesn't help his confidence when Disco leapfrogs AHL journeyman like Grant and COR over him for special teams ice time without batting an eye. It's not even whether or not Girgs would be great or horrible on the PP. It's the fact that he never gets a chance but those two do. (Disco never lets Foligno play on the PP either for some reason). Girgs not getting much, if any, time on the PK is somewhat baffling to be honest.
The lack of special teams time is my issue. Give him a chance. 5 on 5 most Sabres are pretty useless so far this year.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

s
In the last few weeks I completely agree with you. But earlier in the year he had a handful of games where he did just what you asked and he got nothing. Also from the start of the season he has been an afterthought for special teams. Can't fairly argue he hasn't earned time there when it was decided before the season. Last year,at ES, he was effective in his playing time with Eichel and ROR when he got the chance. That essentially meant nothing to the coach and how he handles him.

One of many that need to go.

Reading your posts, as well as others about Girgs, I can replace Girgs with Foligno and its the same sentiment the last several years right up until the back half of last season towards Marcus. Keep in mind Foligno is 3 years older than Girgs.

I'd like to see more out of him as well. I don't blame Disco for putting him down the lineup right now since his play warrants it. But I do question his handling of him so far this year and overall. He hasn't given him a chance on special teams which is one way to reward him with more ice time even if there isn't a spot up the lineup for him at ES. He also needs to give him a specific role, even if its 4th line banger, and let him run with it. Foligno got his game dialed in in part due to being given a defined role as part of the FLG line.

Last edited:

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
s
In the last few weeks I completely agree with you. But earlier in the year he had a handful of games where he did just what you asked and he got nothing. Also from the start of the season he has been an afterthought for special teams. Can't fairly argue he hasn't earned time there when it was decided before the season. Last year,at ES, he was effective in his playing time with Eichel and ROR when he got the chance. That essentially meant nothing to the coach and how he handles him.

Reading your posts, as well as others about Girgs, I can replace Girgs with Foligno and its the same sentiment the last several years right up until the back half of last season towards Marcus. Keep in mind Foligno is 3 years older than Girgs.

I'd like to see more out of him as well. I don't blame Disco for putting him down the lineup right now since his play warrants it. But I do question his handling of him so far this year and overall. He hasn't given him a chance on special teams which is one way to reward him with more ice time even if there isn't a spot up the lineup for him at ES. He also needs to give him a specific role, even if its 4th line banger, and let him run with it. Foligno got his game dialed in in part due to being given a defined role as part of the FLG line.

I think this is where injuries derailed not only eichel and Reinhart's seasons but girgs too. That line having 20 healthy games to develop chemistry would've done wonders for all parties but instead we have had a mix and match grab bag of lines.

Had that trio gotten to start the year together we may be looking all guys differently.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad