Transfer: 2024 Winter Transfer Window - Open Window Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Casemiro was a great add for United to be sure, but that's a lot of money for just a year of that. Normally fees like that are reserved for young players who you're going to get a full career out of...
He comes with the 5 CL trophy tax though.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Casemiro was revolutionary for the midfield last year. The difference with and without him was insane. Unfortunately his two red cards meant they were without him for 1/4 of the season.

This year it seems like he's lost a step or hasn't settled in or something. He's doing alright, but not controlling at the level he was before despite showing up on the scoresheet more than expected.
Age and cost of playing such a mobile and physical game for his entire life will catch up to him as it does everyone at some point.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Age and cost of playing such a mobile and physical game for his entire life will catch up to him as it does everyone at some point.
Sure. And it wasn’t meant as a long term fix. It was meant to stabilize and improve the midfield for 3-4 years while a younger player can either be identified or trained.

Reactions: LOGiK

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Sure. And it wasn’t meant as a long term fix. It was meant to stabilize and improve the midfield for 3-4 years while a younger player can either be identified or trained.
He was never going to last 4 years. He actually surprised me with how great he was initially. Then something happened after the second suspension. He probably realized he can’t get away with what he did in Madrid and that’s affecting how he plays. Otherwise I don’t see why his game fell off so suddenly and quickly.

Reactions: Gecklund

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
He was never going to last 4 years. He actually surprised me with how great he was initially. Then something happened after the second suspension. He probably realized he can’t get away with what he did in Madrid and that’s affecting how he plays. Otherwise I don’t see why his game fell off so suddenly and quickly.
The announcers I forget which game, after the international break (before this one) said he just played in brazil and now he is playing in the champions league and premier league and he is absolutely exhausted from playing so much.
No idea if it's true or what and I can't say for certain he said that exactly, but it was along those lines.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Odegaard worked out for us due to lack of playing time at Madrid, but I just would never answer phone calls from Real Madrid or Chelsea when it comes to them being open to selling a player. It tends to never work out. We're currently seeing why Real had no problem selling him, Perez the Great is probably laughing to the point tears are coming out as his next wave of conversations gets leaked about Pogba's ex-GF lol.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
The problem with Casemiro is that he's in his 30s lol, he was great last year (better than in his last few Madrid years) and has age catching up with him

Buying from Madrid is very far from a red flag lmao

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY

He wasn’t going to be elite for 4 years, but I think the expectation was largely that he wouldn’t drop to how he started this year until later in the 3rd year/4th year and by then they’d at least have someone ready to be taking minutes and growing into the role.

Obviously that didn’t happen and we’re left with Scottish Pele needing to come on and score stoppage time winners for us.

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Utd is also more of the few teams on the planet that can splurge on a guy like Casemiro with zero impact on any other transfer plans

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Hakimi, ozil, Higuain and kovacic to name a few that worked out for their clubs
Ozil was sold because they bought Bale and Isco in that window, Modric in the window before, and Kroos the window after. I think we can all agree that Mesut was a luxury piece for them.

They sold Hakimi due to finances from Covid, not that they wanted to. Though they did buy Mendy around that time who was hyped as one of the best players in his position at the time.

Higuain was sold because Bale practically took his spot and he was never really that good to begin with.

Kovacic, I can agree with you on that.
The problem with Casemiro is that he's in his 30s lol, he was great last year (better than in his last few Madrid years) and has age catching up with him

Buying from Madrid is very far from a red flag lmao
Mega disagree, Madrid is in the market to never lose on a deal. They might overspend and sometimes buy rubbish players (James), but they don't lose on deals when selling them.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Buying from Madrid can definitely be a red flag. I think it depends the player of course, but to generalize I’d say if you’re buying a player who was a star from them then it’s a red flag. Players who didn’t get enough of a chance can be real bargains though.

Reactions: S E P H

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Take it for what it's worth but hearing that Nico Williams will sign for us when his contract expires. Similar to this Mbappe/Madrid speculation. The guy reporting it said with a year of anticipation that Íñigo would do it and here we are so while I think it's far fetched, not impossible

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Ozil was sold because they bought Bale and Isco in that window, Modric in the window before, and Kroos the window after. I think we can all agree that Mesut was a luxury piece for them.

They sold Hakimi due to finances from Covid, not that they wanted to. Though they did buy Mendy around that time who was hyped as one of the best players in his position at the time.

Higuain was sold because Bale practically took his spot and he was never really that good to begin with.

Kovacic, I can agree with you on that.

Mega disagree, Madrid is in the market to never lose on a deal. They might overspend and sometimes buy rubbish players (James), but they don't lose on deals when selling them.
You can argue like that for any transfer. Because XYZ. So your premise of not buying Madrid players they're open to selling is nonsense.

Higuain awhile has his faults and never a player I'd rely on in a big game he is certainly good enough for most teams. Just ask Juve or Napoli.

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
Take it for what it's worth but hearing that Nico Williams will sign for us when his contract expires. Similar to this Mbappe/Madrid speculation. The guy reporting it said with a year of anticipation that Íñigo would do it and here we are so while I think it's far fetched, not impossible
Why would we do this? He's been playing on the left wing this year but he's not the quality we should be going for.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Why would we do this? He's been playing on the left wing this year but he's not the quality we should be going for.
Because it's free I guess. We are the new Juve. I think he would be our best winger right now to be honest. (Lamine will be, but he's still raw).

We don't have the funds to go for a Kvaradona

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
The guy I called "new Salah", Tamari of Montpellier, has seen Liverpool inquire this week.

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
Edu met with a few Brazilian clubs during a trip this past week and now Arsenal are being linked to Andre. Has there been any recent news on Liverpool's interest in him?

Reactions: S E P H

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Edu met with a few Brazilian clubs during a trip this past week and now Arsenal are being linked to Andre. Has there been any recent news on Liverpool's interest in him?
All the news with LFC was they wanted him in the summer, but Flum. refused to sell because they thought they could win Copa Libertadores. They are in the final so they are certainly vindicated by that decision. All accounts were LFC and Flum. were both cool about it and LFC could go back in January; which is one of the reasons they signed Endo as a band aid. It’s all pretty quiet now, but was always going to be. LFC aren’t trying to rock the boat, they know where they stand. Of course a lot could happen between now and January, but its just waiting game at this point

Reactions: KJS14

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Milan will reportedly meet with Ouedraogo this week before lodging a 20M bid for the 17yo. Buying from Schalke has worked out well for them before and Ouedraogo is a bigger talent than Thiaw was.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Milan will reportedly meet with Ouedraogo this week before lodging a 20M bid for the 17yo. Buying from Schalke has worked out well for them before and Ouedraogo is a bigger talent than Thiaw was.
That would be the best signing of AC Milan since Leao

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad