OT: 2024 Washington Commanders off-season thread: change we can believe in!

Assuming Caleb Williams goes number 1, who is your QB pick at number 2?

• JJ McCarthy

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • Jaden Daniels

Votes: 13 41.9%
  • Drake Maye

Votes: 12 38.7%

• Total voters

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
The point was, he took plenty of hits from SEC players who will be playing in the NFL, or who have NFL size and speed, and he never broke. Sure, a guy could fall on his knee and blow it up, but it won't be because of his body type. I have confidence he can and will learn to slide in the NFL, unlike RGIII, who's ego made him un-coachable (ask the Shanahans). As the article I posted above shows, JD is extraordinarily coachable.

From your fingers to God's ears. (That sounds wrong. Get your fingers out of God's ears.) I hope it goes that way for him whether we take him or not (unless he lands in the NFC East, then I hope he gets double-Theismanned.) (Not literally.)

(Then again, if he somehow ends up a Cowboy, I'll want him to suffer at least a little. Something like diarrhea. Maybe drowsiness, irritability, bad grammar, night blindness, constipation, hair loss, bad breath, paranoia, high sticking, tennis elbow, brain tumors, back pain, ignorance, low birth weight, kleptomania, impotence, earwax buildup, flatulence, bulimia, swollen testicles, yeast infections, laziness, nymphomania, poor judgment, poverty, pancreatitis, technophobia, jock itch, sunburn, ringworm, terrorism, cavities, in-grown toenails, anal leakage, impulse shopping, herpes, gout, bad hair days, divorce, insanity, shortness of breath, late fees, bad dreams, runny eggs, projectile vomiting, offensive pass interference, roaming charges, sleet, nuclear proliferation, pinkeye, boredom, alimony, brain freeze, yellow fever, fuchsia fever, tooth decay, civil war, brief nudity, painful erections, death, obscene phone calls, parking tickets, immodesty, chicken pox, rabies, tax audits, skunky beer, penis envy, and a perpetual combination of that feeling you get when you almost sneeze but don't, and the one where you tip your chair back a little too far but catch yourself at the last second.)

EDIT: (Also hepatitis A, B, and D, in that order.)

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
Come on….that seems very unlikely….

I don't know what to tell you. Science is what it is. High-metabolism ectomorphs have a seriously difficult time keeping weight on. I believe he'll do the seriously difficult work, but that body only wants so much weight.

Take a good look at his legs. Yeah, they're skinny, but they're ripped. The kid clearly works hard. If he tries to pack too much on to that frame with that metabolism, he'll overdevelop.

All I'm saying is you have to take his body at face value. I doubt he'll ever comfortably be much heavier than he is right now. If we draft him, I want the miles he puts on his body to be on the field, not adding endless wear and tear in the weight room.

Just be smart. You are not Jackie Chan. No more of this shit...

v0xDzne.gif

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
As for our QB 2, it's Rattler or Pratt, but they're likely to go at least one or 2 rounds too early, so probably not in our draft range. None of the rest of the guys is particularly attractive based on scouting evaluations. (Unless, of course, Peters has his Purdy 2.0 already IDed...)
I was kinda wondering if they would draft a 2nd QB in this draft ala RG3/Cousins.

Reactions: TCB

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006
I don't know what to tell you. Science is what it is. High-metabolism ectomorphs have a seriously difficult time keeping weight on. I believe he'll do the seriously difficult work, but that body only wants so much weight.

Take a good look at his legs. Yeah, they're skinny, but they're ripped. The kid clearly works hard. If he tries to pack too much on to that frame with that metabolism, he'll overdevelop.

All I'm saying is you have to take his body at face value. I doubt he'll ever comfortably be much heavier than he is right now. If we draft him, I want the miles he puts on his body to be on the field, not adding endless wear and tear in the weight room.

v0xDzne.gif
And that's exactly the shit he did cut out in the second half the season. In other words, he listened to his coaches and improved his game.

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006
I was kinda wondering if they would draft a 2nd QB in this draft ala RG3/Cousins.
They've said they want to go into camp w/ 4, so that means 2 new bodies. The rest of the FA crew is the dreck that comes from the s*hit of the dregs. So I'm hoping it's another draft pick.

Ok well I was a bit impressed with Daniels throwing the ball, he had some heat on those. Mayes pro day is tomorrow, interesting to see them back to back
I'm a JD guy 100%, but I don't get amped one way or another about pro day throwing -- I think what they do under live fire is the most important thing. But apparently coaches and scouts learn from it, and I'm willing to admit that they're smarter about this than me. (OK, other than RR. And the Marty's. And Bruce Allen. And Vinny Cerrasshole.)

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

v0xDzne.gif
Is this like real science, or anti-vax “science”? ;)

It’s fairly clear that at the NFL level, they can with the use of trainers and nutritionists and chefs, build a guy’s physique up quite a bit.

Also, the old joke is you don’t want to see your QB in the gym all the time, you rather he be a little thick around the midsection from snacking in the video room to all hours of the night….so maybe it’s a combination of both, but hey if Lamar Jackson can survive at around 215, so can this guy eventually.

Reactions: ynotcaps

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006
Yeah, I'll take that..

I think JD's a lesser runner, but definitely a better passer. Which is good for, you know, a quarterback.

Another advantage we'd have w/ JD is that we already have quality RBs, meaning our QB won't have to be our best rusher. BAL has never given LJ that.

Is this like real science, or anti-vax “science”? ;)

It’s fairly clear that at the NFL level, they can with the use of trainers and nutritionists and chefs, build a guy’s physique up quite a bit.

Also, the old joke is you don’t want to see your QB in the gym all the time, you rather he be a little thick around the midsection from snacking in the video room to all hours of the night….so maybe it’s a combination of both, but hey if Lamar Jackson can survive at around 215, so can this guy eventually.
Billy Kilmer, come on down!!!

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

dreadpirateroberts

Nov 14, 2018
Seven Seas
Last edited:
Sep 19, 2008
Caps staying in DC - less likely Commanders move to DC :(

in an ideal world DC has the fundz to pay for all 4 teams to stay and they can all play in DC

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Caps staying in DC - less likely Commanders move to DC :(

in an ideal world DC has the fundz to pay for all 4 teams to stay and they can all play in DC

I think the guy who just paid $6.05B for the team is going to have a hard time asking DC to pay for much. Permits and some roads, sure, but stadium funding almost certainly needs to be mostly private, like Fed Ex was.

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006
Baltimore has had some “decent” backs (Ingram, Forsett, Edwards)….but your point is merited…
It's kinda' chicken-or-egg, too -- did they run LJ so much because they didn't have great backs, or did they build the run game around Lamar because he's that effing good a runner?
I'd be afraid of making my QB my primary runner no matter what he's built like, but maybe the difference between his running skills (A+++) and his passing skills (C/C-) makes up for some of the risk? I dunno.

Reactions: Ridley Simon

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006

I’m out!
From the story:
"Morse continued to say that these can be drained, though they can still fill back up thereafter, and that the only risk is a potential infection. Most importantly, though, the doctor clarified that there is no "negative impact" and referred to the condition as nothing more than a "visual oddity"."

(That said, I wish I had not seen that picture so soon after eating tacos. Well, anything, really.)

Miller's new seven-round NFL mock draft: Two trades, 11 QBs and 257 total pick predictions

1, 2: Jayden Daniels, QB, LSU
2, 36: Darius Robinson, DE, Missouri
2, 40: Patrick Paul, OT, Houston
3, 67: Adisa Isaac, DE, Penn State
3, 100: Theo Johnson, TE, Penn State
5, 139: Isaiah Williams, WR, Illinois
5, 152: Tommy Eichenberg, LB, Ohio State
7, 222: Dylan McMahon, C, NC State

EDIT - 3, 78: Khyree Jackson, CB, Oregon
Decent draft -- but I'd prefer to send one of the 2nds and one of the thirds (or another pick next year) to move back into the 1st to address OT rather than reaching for a project in the 2nd.

Reactions: Bananas

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
I think the guy who just paid $6.05B for the team is going to have a hard time asking DC to pay for much. Permits and some roads, sure, but stadium funding almost certainly needs to be mostly private, like Fed Ex was.
Considering how many partners are involved which it took even the NFL a while to evaluate just how much could ownership pony up is what I wonder about.

That Dulles site and maybe that National Harbor area in MD. But I would assume MD's focus would be for the Ravens. I would count VA out anyways until the next governor.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
not interested in JD at all , he broke out in his 5th year behind a stacked line that gave he much more time than he'll have in the NFL as well as passing to a receiver who's going in the the top 10 and another one who'll be a 1st rd pick

so while i don't want to knock the guy or diminish the season he had i can't ignore the team he was on and at what age he had his break out season

CW
DM
JJM

Reactions: John Price

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad