2024 University Cup

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
Downtown Toronto hotel prices went crazy in the last few years. It seems like $250 a night has become the absolute bare minimum for a hotel room around there now. Probably closer to $400 and up for something nice.

I remember getting a room at the Westin Harbour Castle on Priceline about 15 years ago for a little over $50 a night. Probably 10x that now, easy.

A good alternative to save some $ is to stay near the airport. Most airport hotels have a free shuttle to the terminal where you can catch the UP Express downtown. It's very fast and convenient, you're at Union Station in like 20 minutes. A slight hassle but it can save you hundreds.

Reactions: Rob and timbitca

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
The Top 10 ELO is a 'guide' for the committee. The top 3 (1-3) and 5-7 are supposed be 'seeded' based on their 'ranking' then you can flip any team in the lower half (5-8) two spots to avoid intra-conf. games.

1 UNB 1978
2 UQTR 1819 <- if UQTR wins QC, they remain #2
3 UBC 1775
4 McG 1735
5 CAL 1734
6 TMU 1728
7 OTT 1699

8 MRU 1683
9 ALB 1632
10 BRK 1626

11 CON 1620
12 USK 1618

13 UdM 1610

Despite UdeM's low ELO, they will not be #8 (avoid #1 UNB)

If you treat UdeM as a 'runner-up', they would traditionally be in the 5-6 spot, if you go with ELO they would be 8th, but bumped to #7 to avoid UNB. So - they could be either 6-7 (CAL will be 5th)

As for "CAL will be 5th", there is only an ELO difference of 1 when compared to McG and it avoids an OUA/OUA in the 4/5 game (assuming McG wins bronze). On the topic of avoiding OUA/OUA, you don't want McG/BRK in the certain spots depending on who wins the QC

1. If UQTR wins QC
UNB, UQTR, UBC, TMU / CAL, McG/BRK, UdM, BRK/McG

2. If TMU wins QC
UNB, UBC, TMU, UQTR / CAL, UdM, BRK/McG, BRK/McG
I don't know why all the speculation. By applying the rules, this is what is to happen.
- no intra-conference matchups;
- teams from 5-8 can shift 2 places.

I can add the brackets:
1 (UQTR wins OUA)
UNB v Brock/McGill loser
TMU v Calgary
UQTR v Moncton
UBC v Brock/McGill winner

2 (TMU wins OUA)
UNB v Brock/McGill loser
UQTR v Calgary
UBC v Brock/ McGill winner
TMU v Moncton

Last edited:
Reactions: Rob

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
I don't know why all the speculation. By applying the rules, this is what is to happen.

I can add the brackets:
1 (UQTR wins OUA)
UNB v Brock/McGill loser
TMU v Calgary
UQTR v Moncton

2 (TMU wins OUA)
UNB v Brock/McGill loser
UQTR v Calgary
TMU v Moncton
Because it's fun to speculate. You have UdeM at 7 if UQTR wins and 6 if TMU wins?

Reactions: AdamMcg83

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com

I can add the brackets:
1 (UQTR wins OUA)
UNB v Brock/McGill loser
TMU v Calgary
UQTR v Moncton

2 (TMU wins OUA)
UNB v Brock/McGill loser
UQTR v Calgary
TMU v Moncton

Because it's fun to speculate. You have UdeM at 7 if UQTR wins and 6 if TMU wins?
So much fun to speculate!

To me, the unanswered question is in the event that TMU and McGill both win: Will the committee move U de M up the full two spots to #6, ahead of McGill (ranked waaaaay higher in ELO) to avoid an all-OUA first-round matchup? And does the fact that the OUA matchup would be intradivision change their opinion at all?
The USports playing regulations would suggest that they would, indeed, move U de M up to 6, which likely means they'd get an earful from McGill. But if they keep the Redbirds at 6, you're alienating your host team, and giving them a much tougher round 1 game.

I think it's fair to say the committee is rooting hard for UQTR.

By the way, Reds fans - you'll definitely play the OUA bronze loser. if I were you, I'd be cheering hard for McGill.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB

To me, the unanswered question is in the event that TMU and McGill both win: Will the committee move U de M up the full two spots to #6, ahead of McGill (ranked waaaaay higher in ELO) to avoid an all-OUA first-round matchup? And does the fact that the OUA matchup would be intradivision change their opinion at all?
The USports playing regulations would suggest that they would, indeed, move U de M up to 6, which likely means they'd get an earful from McGill. But if they keep the Redbirds at 6, you're alienating your host team, and giving them a much tougher round 1 game.

By the way, Reds fans - you'll definitely play the OUA bronze loser. if I were you, I'd be cheering hard for McGill.
You obviously know more about the OUA than me, but to me Ungar has looked considerably better than Shank. I always worry about a goalie standing on their head and stealing a game.

I’ve always preferred UNB play teams with stronger offense/weaker defense than the other way around. Teams that try to go end to end with UNB usually don’t fare well.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
There’s a lot of speculation because this isn’t a rule…the rule says the top two teams from a conference can’t play each other in the quarter-finals, but doesn’t mention anything about 1 or 2 facing 3 or 4.

Also, this is the first year there has been four teams from one conference…so we have no idea how the committee is going to handle the rankings. Do they treat an OUA East vs. OUA West matchup the same as a AUS vs. CW matchup?

Personally, I think ultimately they will have all four OUA teams play in different games…even if it might not make sense or be fair (especially if TMU/McGill win). But I have been surprised before (2019 when they went with Alberta instead of UNB against Lethbridge).

Reactions: AdamMcg83

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com
You obviously know more about the OUA than me, but to me Ungar has looked considerably better than Shank. I always worry about a goalie standing on their head and stealing a game.

I’ve always preferred UNB play teams with stronger offense/weaker defense than the other way around. Teams that try to go end to end with UNB usually don’t fare well.
Ungar is definitely the recipe for a 2-1 upset in a game where SOG are 45-17, so this is a fair point. McGill is a deeper and more skilled team, but Brock has the goaltending edge, for sure.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
"But I have been surprised before (2019 when they went with Alberta instead of UNB against Lethbridge)."

Perhaps because they weren't finalists or perhaps they wanted some fans in the building and felt that an all Alberta game would help at the gate

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada

I hate to think that they would have to move most of the field around just to avoid an OUA first round matchup, especially with 4 OUA teams.
Accommodating the host, I get it, but shifting the field to avoid OUA matchups, I don't agree.
That's just my opinion.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I don’t agree they should accommodate the host either, outside of letting them play at their preferred time/day. Giving the host a favorable match-up just because they are the host means someone else is getting shafted undeservedly.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
I don't see any matchup being "favorable" to TMU.

I think the seeding are predictable after tonights games. #1 and #5 are solid.

Last edited:

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Without doing any research I am
guessing this is the strongest field we have seen in the eight team era. Six teams with at least 21 regular season wins + TMU had 19.

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com
I don't see any matchup being "favorable" to TMU.

I think the seeding are predictable after tonights games. #1 and #5 are solid.
This might be true, but I think it would be widely regarded that U de M (13th ELO) is a more favourable matchup for anyone than McGill (4th ELO). But then again, TMU beat McGill in their only matchup this season. So what do any of us know?!?

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Ungar is definitely the recipe for a 2-1 upset in a game where SOG are 45-17, so this is a fair point. McGill is a deeper and more skilled team, but Brock has the goaltending edge, for sure.
Can I change my preference? A dominant second period has McGill comfortably ahead in the bronze medal game. A good goalie can only do so much when he is under a constant barrage of pressure and shots.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
With a comfy 4-1 lead, it's looking like Brock vs UNB. Thursday afternoon.
Too early to say what day UNB will be playing.

I believe TMU has already stated they are playing Thursday so if they win the OUA and go in #3 UNB will play Friday as they will be on opppsite sides of the bracket. If they lose tonight and go in #4 UNB/Brock will be Thursday afternoon.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Too early to say what day UNB will be playing.

I believe TMU has already stated they are playing Thursday so if they win the OUA and go in #3 UNB will play Friday as they will be on opppsite sides of the bracket. If they lose tonight and go in #4 UNB/Brock will be Thursday afternoon.
That's what I said, I think.....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad