2024 University Cup

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Since we're now into Conference Semi-Finals, the teams that can advance to the University Cup is starting to be clearer.

Host: Toronto Metropolitan University (TMU)
Arena: The Mattamy Athletic Centre (The MAC), former Maple Leaf Gardens
Seating Capacity: 2,600

Attending Teams:
Canada West Champion and Runner-up
Atlantic University Sports Champion and Runner-up
OUA Queen's Cup Champion and Runner-up
OUA Bronze Medalist
Host - Toronto Metropolitan University (TMU)

IF's
- In the event TMU advances to the Queen's Cup, both teams in the Bronze Medal game will advance to the University Cup with the loser likely being the 'host' as TMU will now have a seeded position.
- If TMU should win Bronze, the loser in that game will likely be the 'host' as TMU would be the seeded OUA 3rd place/Bronze team.
- If TMU loses the Bronze game - they would be the 'natural' host.

Ontario & Toronto Return
This is the first time since 2010 that the University Cup has returned to Ontario. In 2009 and 2010, the event was hosted in Thunder Bay. The last time the University Cup was in the Toronto area was 1997, the end of a 10-year run.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Canada West
Two of four teams: Best of 3: MRU @ CAL and ALB @ UBC

Atlantic University Sport
Two of four teams: Best of 5: SFX @ UdeM and SMU @ UNB

Ontario University Sport (East)
Two of four teams: Best of 3: CON @ McG and OTT @ UQTR

Ontario University Sport (West)
Two of four teams: Best of 3: WIN @ BRK and LAU @ TMU

Overall - 8 of 16 teams will advance with 19 teams already eliminated.

If #1 & #2 seeds advance we have: UNB, UdeM, UBC, CAL, UQTR, McG, TMU, BRK - it will be interesting to see.

ps. I think the Ranking/ELO will garner lots of discussion this year :popcorn:

Campy

Jan 27, 2019
Canada West
Two of four teams: Best of 3: MRU @ CAL and ALB @ UBC

Atlantic University Sport
Two of four teams: Best of 5: SFX @ UdeM and SMU @ UNB

Two of four teams: Best of 3: CON @ McG and OTT @ UQTR

Two of four teams: Best of 3: WIN @ BRK and LAU @ TMU

Overall - 8 of 16 teams will advance with 19 teams already eliminated.

If #1 & #2 seeds advance we have: UNB, UdeM, UBC, CAL, UQTR, McG, TMU, BRK - it will be interesting to see.

ps. I think the Ranking/ELO will garner lots of discussion this year :popcorn:
Drummer, if TMU loses the semi to Laurier and then OUA West wins the bronze game, wouldn't that get OUA West 3 spots and OUA East 1 spot?

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
That raises an interesting point….does the wording state the OUA receives four total spots? Or does it specify that the East gets two berths and the West gets two berths?

I can’t remember from previous seasons, but are the seedings now based entirely on the ELO ratings? Or is there still some form of human element used to seed the tournament?

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Drummer, if TMU loses the semi to Laurier and then OUA West wins the bronze game, wouldn't that get OUA West 3 spots and OUA East 1 spot?
I think that's what would happen.
One scenario:
Let's say UQTR and MCG both win their semis and UQTR wins the East. Let's say BRK and LAU both win their semis and BRK wins the West. BRK and UQTR are in. TMU is in as host. If LAU beats MCG then 3 West teams.

That raises an interesting point….does the wording state the OUA receives four total spots? Or does it specify that the East gets two berths and the West gets two berths?

I can’t remember from previous seasons, but are the seedings now based entirely on the ELO ratings? Or is there still some form of human element used to seed the tournament?
See my reply to Campy.

Campy

Jan 27, 2019

1708468763326.png

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
I don't think it matters West vs East. The East and West champions are both in the top 4 and the Bronze team is a 50:50 between the East & West losers. The fact the host is from the West is just a coincidence and not worth really carrying about (WRT balancing who attends from the OUA). If the West wins the Bronze game - 3 West teams, if not it's 2:2, not an issue.

Reminder - no one ranked 7-8 has advanced and #6 has only advanced 4 times (over 24 tournaments) and never won. #5 has advanced to the finals eight times, won 3 (all UNB), so even #5 is an outlier. It really isn't worth focusing a lot of time on the bottom half of the draw.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Yes - you are correct.

One guaranteed out of four teams: Best of 3: CON @ McG and OTT @ UQTR

Two guaranteed out of four teams: Best of 3: WIN @ BRK and LAU @ TMU

The fourth team will either be a) TMU or b) the Bronze Loser (if TMU advances to the medal round)

Carleton

Dec 17, 2022
When trying to buy tourney passes online only limited sections/space are available for choosing. Is anyone aware if/when this will open up for more options?

Reactions: Rob

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Definitely not sold. For some reason they have just limited the choice of seating for package tickets. Maybe the rest will just be for individual seats?
I bought mine a few months ago and had the whole rink to choose from.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
I bought mine a few months ago and had the whole rink to choose from.

That is strange. Not sure why they have limited the number of seats now.

4-1 win for TMU.

I saw a few clips on Xwitter. The rink is Empty.

1655 at UQTR, 547 at MCG.

I remember at the Nationals in PEI there were quite a few Les Patriotes fans in attendance. If they make again I expect more in Toronto.

Reactions: FreddyFoyle

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Seeding is a 2-part process:

Step 1: The USPORTS Top-10 Committee would review the Conference championship series and submit their final votes for the last (pre-tournament) Top-10 rankings. This would be a full Top-10. It was for a long time human voters, then a mix of humans and ELO. For this year it is entirely ELO. Also, as of last year (I believe and true this year), teams eliminated from the playoffs are not eligible to be announced in the top 10 even if they have a high ELO (their ELO is updated, but if they remain in the top 10, they are skipped-over for the next best team still playing).

Step 2: the tournament's Competition Committee reviews the Top-10 for seedings and makes changes to support the i) Champions are 1-2-3 and ii) OUA Runner-up is 4th and then iii) avoid games been teams from the same conference. When changes are made, no team in the top 4 can be changed - the swaps must come from the bottom 4.

- In 2019, Lethbridge chose to remain the 8th seed and play ALB rather then moving to 7th and playing UNB. They were the tournament host and it was their choice. Normally, if the host is not involved, games are swapped to avoid common conference games in the 1st round.

Reactions: FreddyFoyle

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
If I read this correctly, all 4 OUA teams will play the 2 AUS and 2 CW teams in the 1st round.
Let's say you have UNB, UofA, CAL and SFX. That is a bit of a Murderers Row for the OUA teams to face.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad