2024 University Cup

Huskiedoo

Jan 20, 2022
I remember Knoblauch well at Nationals in Freddy. Elite defenseman on a very stacked UofA team.
The atmosphere was electric. There were rumours that they had 4,000 people foe the Alberta vs UNB game. That's before all of the boxes were installed in the AUC.

The OUA also has 4/8 teams in the field, but it's clear that there has been improvement in the OUA. No CanadaWest teams in the semi-finals, despite carrying 5 teams in the top 10 for a good portion of the year.
Knoblauch was a forward. And he played his U18 AAA in Saskatchewan up in North Battleford.

MiamiHockeyII

Mar 24, 2022
300-500 k budget (unb) (3000 fan help budget ) is absolutely ridiculous- i understand cash flow is different at each university known hockey schools. Or Football (western/laval) or track (Windsor)
Compare to 150 at another Aus school to , 95k to 80k to 65k all Aus

With all due respect, please edit your stream of consciousness. When I read this I thought I was having a stroke.

Game Day-

MCG-TMU 11 am, Bronze Medal

UNB-UQTR 5 pm, Gold and Silver Medals

My heart says pick MCG but I think TMU wants to win something on home ice.
MCG, coming off the loss and being a late game may have an impact.

Gotta go with UNB for Gold. It could be close, but I feel it will be 3-4 goal spread.

My record so far has not been great. I'm 1-for-4 in 1/4 finals and 1-for-2 in semis.

These Bronze Medal games are such a waste of time. Neither team is up for it, and there's always one team playing it on 12 hours of rest, which is dangerous at this level of hockey. We can derive zero insight from these games.

Can you give a reasonable explanation for why USports insists on them?

UQTR is the only team with the goaltending and skill level to compete with UNB.

If I am UNB, my only concern is that we haven't been remotely tested yet. A plan is great until you get a punch in the face ... which UNB has yet to receive.

If I am UQTR, I believe that an early goal is the key ... if UQTR can find a way to get up early on UNB, it will be a game, and I can see an upset with the pressure of a perfect season hanging over UNB.

If UNB scores first, as you suggest I think it will be a decisive 4-1 or 5-1 UNB victory. They will get confidence and will lock it down as they did yesterday.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rob

MiamiHockeyII

Mar 24, 2022
30K helps

TMU played UNB 3 times and got outscored 19-3. TMU is not close, as I have stated repeatedly, and their approach to preparing for the UCup was destined to fail.

If you believe that a few dollars are the only cause of that difference there's not much anyone here can say to you, because you're simply failing to understand how long it takes to build a program that consistently outperforms its competitors.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
With all due respect, please edit your stream of consciousness. When I read this I thought I was having a stroke.

These Bronze Medal games are such a waste of time. Neither team is up for it, and there's always one team playing it on 12 hours of rest, which is dangerous at this level of hockey. We can derive zero insight from these games.

If I am UNB, my only concern is that we haven't been remotely tested yet. A plan is great until you get a punch in the face ... which UNB has yet to receive.

If I am UQTR, I believe that an early goal is the key ... if UQTR can find a way to get up early on UNB, it will be a game, and I can see an upset with the pressure of a perfect season hanging over UNB.

If UNB scores first, as you suggest I think it will be a decisive 4-1 or 5-1 UNB victory. They will get confidence and will lock it down as they did yesterday.
They do it for the extra $50 or so they can add to the package and also to keep in line with other sports. Men's hockey is not at the stage of women's hockey or B-ball where you have a consolation bracket. The only consolation hockey players need after a semi final loss is some beer in the room and someone opens a bottle of Jäger.

But, good on both teams not to do anything stupid.

Carleton

Dec 17, 2022

If UQTR gets that lead as you say they still only have a chance by being relentless on the forecheck. Give UNB a taste of what they themselves do best. UNB is short their best puck mover in McCormack but again they’ve got to be relentless and create turnovers.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
They do it for the extra $50 or so they can add to the package and also to keep in line with other sports. Men's hockey is not at the stage of women's hockey or B-ball where you have a consolation bracket. The only consolation hockey players need after a semi final loss is some beer in the room and someone opens a bottle of Jäger.

But, good on both teams not to do anything stupid.
I don’t like the bronze medal game either. I guess you could argue that some teams might be up for the game. Most are not. At least they don’t do the consolation games. I remember they used to do them at the World Juniors back in the day. Just pointless.

dm8895

V-Reds , McJesus Stan , Beer Leaguer
Apr 3, 2015
Freddy Beach
I don’t like the bronze medal game either. I guess you could argue that some teams might be up for the game. Most are not. At least they don’t do the consolation games. I remember they used to do them at the World Juniors back in the day. Just pointless.
I’m actually impressed we’ve seen as little BS in the bronze game over the years as we have. In minor hockey a bronze medal game was a time to go try and hurt someone or get into a gloves on line brawl lol.

Reactions: Rob

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Usually I like to see the hosts at least win a bronze. I don’t feel bad too bad this year though because TMU fans barely showed up. They literally had trouble giving away free tickets to students. Organizers did a great job running the tournament but you can’t force fans to show up.

Reactions: timbitca

AUC Regular

Aug 22, 2023
I think UQTR needs 3 plus goals to win and I don't see that happening. UNB-D is just so stingy with allowing shots and goals. The last two years at Nationals they have gven up 4 goals in 5 games and I believe the highest shot total was yesterday against TMU with 22!

My prediction is 4-1or 5-2 UNB!

Last edited:

hockeyinsiderusports

Nov 20, 2017
TMU played UNB 3 times and got outscored 19-3. TMU is not close, as I have stated repeatedly, and their approach to preparing for the UCup was destined to fail.

If you believe that a few dollars are the only cause of that difference there's not much anyone here can say to you, because you're simply failing to understand how long it takes to build a program that consistently outperforms its competitors.

Tmu elite oua school. There goal is win oua and anything else Is gravy as they cannot compete with unb bank roll

Last edited:

hockeyinsiderusports

Nov 20, 2017

I think you are out of loop (AS) on financials strengthen UNB has over all programs in USports Time has change since you left oua then to Canada west. I’m Aus guy but UNB has massive budget compare to others

As for TMU. Two 4 place finishes in last 3 years is outstanding so please wake up and give credit to them. (Why do you dislike them so much? There goal is win oua and rest is gravy due to UNB train

Gards is fantastic coach/person I highly doubt he would have unb success at oua school due to financial limitations

I expect UNB win 4-1

Last edited:

hockeyinsiderusports

Nov 20, 2017

All due respect. You don’t understand value of this game or passion of what these kids go thru. Times have change since you been in league.

If you never been there , then you don’t understand from team perspective!

rethinking

Mar 4, 2013
It's a shame that the CBCSports.ca broadcast has been interrupted by a very loud French announcer from somewhere for some reason.

The officiating seems to be very one sided so far in the first 2 periods unfortunately.

Hopefully both concerns are corrected in the 3rd period.

Reactions: FreddyFoyle

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Time and space.

UQTR had none because UNB gave them none.

An absolute clinic on positional play, defensive gap, backcheck, forecheck.
Add any other hockey school thing to the list and UNB did it.

Richard had to make 1 or 2 "difficult" stops.

Credit to UQTR for a Gold, Silver and Bronze the past 3 years. They are the best of the OUA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad