2024 University Cup

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
This is probably best well balance team unb has built and I expect them to beat TMU however a lot of if for TMU win, Edmonds must be first star , two , stay out of box and three get lead on unb.
What I don’t like atm is cockiness attitude Unb presenting around rink. Almost gives off that 2022 vibes.
You mean the UNB fans or team people? I haven't seen anyone from the team except for the TMU game the other night.

MiamiHockeyII

Mar 24, 2022
TMU is a better team overall than BRK and should give UNB a good game. They are more physical than BRK.

Well, that was a beatdown. I was (honestly) going to predict a 6-0 or 6-1 UNB victory, but held off posting because I didn't want to be accused (again) of bashing the OUA West.

UNB is clearly deeper to begin with. When you combine (1) the talent disparity, (2) UNB's greater rest period (44 hours versus 36 hours) and (3) the Double OT really hurting TMU's top guys, this game lined up heavily in UNB's favour. Kudos to UNB for seeing it through and asserting themselves.

Few of players been really arrogant at holiday inn !

It's only arrogance when you don't back it up. When you do back it up, it's confidence.

MiamiHockeyII

Mar 24, 2022
Well, that was a beatdown. I was (honestly) going to predict a 6-0 or 6-1 UNB victory, but held off posting because I didn't want to be accused (again) of bashing the OUA West.

UNB is clearly deeper to begin with. When you combine (1) the talent disparity, (2) UNB's greater rest period (44 hours versus 36 hours) and (3) the Double OT really hurting TMU's top guys, this game lined up heavily in UNB's favour. Kudos to UNB for seeing it through and asserting themselves.

It's only arrogance when you don't back it up. When you do back it up, it's confidence.

I expect a UQTR victory tonight, but these teams are so tight and know each other so well anything can happen. Worst-case scenario for the OUA teams is a lengthy OT game, because neither team will be able to handle UNB if they are gassed.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
I expected more from TMU, regardless of what UNB can bring. Up 5-0, UNB still ran their top PP unit. In the dying seconds they still had a forecheck. Never let up one iota.

I forgot to mention I was gonna cheer for UBC last night until they didn't pick up the pucks after warmup. That, plus the MCG band made me switch teams. Then, hearing the goal song, I'm solid MCG.

I expect a close game tonight. I've got 5 bucks riding on the Redbirds

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I expected more from TMU, regardless of what UNB can bring. Up 5-0, UNB still ran their top PP unit. In the dying seconds they still had a forecheck. Never let up one iota.

I forgot to mention I was gonna cheer for UBC last night until they didn't pick up the pucks after warmup. That, plus the MCG band made me switch teams. Then, hearing the goal song, I'm solid MCG.

I expect a close game tonight. I've got 5 bucks riding on the Redbirds

hockeyinsiderusports

Nov 20, 2017

30K helps

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
When you are able to roll 4 lines and don't play your stud D-man half the game you are able to keep the tempo up. One of the Reds told me that even tv timeouts are a help because it allows for more recovery time. They're not machines, and their pace is hard to maintain.

hockeyinsiderusports

Nov 20, 2017
I don't want to drag out this who spends more stuff again, but remember, the OUA has a self-imposed cap on AFA's. The rest of the country isn't willing to shoot themselves in that foot. You have to set priorities, and obviously the OUA has different priorities and they have to live with the consequences. Not our fault.

Aus got “audit” two years ago and found no irregularities like Dal incident but one day it will happen and giving 1200 per week for player as “work study “ like few Aus schools.” Reason this is allowed attract students on campus and hopefully they stay live in city upon graduation”.

If anyone says Aus hockey doesn’t have advantage or says budget low. They are all lying through their teeth. I love see them work off 50-75k budgets

Aus got “audit” two years ago and found no irregularities like Dal incident but one day it will happen and giving 1200 per week for player as “work study “ like few Aus schools.” Reason this is allowed attract students on campus and hopefully they stay live in city upon graduation”.

If anyone says Aus hockey doesn’t have advantage or says budget low. They are all lying through their teeth. I love see them work off 50-75k budgets. Just own up to real budget and not fake docs

But winning attracts players but superior budget doesn’t hurt either

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Has UQTR ever bid on the UCup? With the size of their rink (and the option of using the bigger ECHL rink) + their fan support it seems like a natural fit…or am I missing something?

Reactions: Rob

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB

If anyone says Aus hockey doesn’t have advantage or says budget low. They are all lying through their teeth. I love see them work off 50-75k budgets
OUA low budgets are OUA problems. You have to set priorities and find the money if you want to recruit with the big boys. Casting aspersions doesn't change the fact that the AUS is more serious about men's hockey than many OUA schools. We just wish we had the money that McGill has to work with.

hockeyinsiderusports

Nov 20, 2017
OUA low budgets are OUA problems. You have to set priorities and find the money if you want to recruit with the big boys. Casting aspersions doesn't change the fact that the AUS is more serious about men's hockey than many OUA schools. We just wish we had the money that McGill has to work with.

300-500 k budget (unb) (3000 fan help budget ) is absolutely ridiculous- i understand cash flow is different at each university known hockey schools. Or Football (western/laval) or track (Windsor)
Compare to 150 at another Aus school to , 95k to 80k to 65k all Aus

Last edited:

dm8895

V-Reds , McJesus Stan , Beer Leaguer
Apr 3, 2015
Freddy Beach
For those of us that couldn’t make the trip, final is on TVA In French, planning to sink English PxP up to avoid the admittedly not horrible but not great frame rate on the streaming

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Game Day-

MCG-TMU 11 am, Bronze Medal

UNB-UQTR 5 pm, Gold and Silver Medals

My heart says pick MCG but I think TMU wants to win something on home ice.
MCG, coming off the loss and being a late game may have an impact.

Gotta go with UNB for Gold. It could be close, but I feel it will be 3-4 goal spread.

My record so far has not been great. I'm 1-for-4 in 1/4 finals and 1-for-2 in semis.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
Game Day-

MCG-TMU 11 am, Bronze Medal

UNB-UQTR 5 pm, Gold and Silver Medals

My heart says pick MCG but I think TMU wants to win something on home ice.
MCG, coming off the loss and being a late game may have an impact.

Gotta go with UNB for Gold. It could be close, but I feel it will be 3-4 goal spread.

My record so far has not been great. I'm 1-for-4 in 1/4 finals and 1-for-2 in semis.
So you got UNB right and the rest wrong?

Reactions: Big Bad Jon

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1