Rumor: 2024 Trade Rumors and Free Agency Thread: Post Deadline

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
MacFarland pissed away two years of the Cup window.

This year by not addressing the worst goaltending situation in the league and last year for refusing to use Landy's LTIR cap relief to add depth scoring and reinforcements at the deadline.
Last season, the Avs certainly just wasted that year. There wasn't even a real attempt.

This season though, IMO, the Avs were aggressive and made moves. Sometimes it just doesn't work and you have to reflect on why it didn't work (clearly George), but most certainly CMac tried to address this team's needs. He made moves in the summer to shore up the team. Then got busy near the deadline too. Mitts, Colton, Walker, Duhamie, Trenin, and Jones are all here within the last year. That's 2 middle 6 centers, a top 4D, two bottom 6 winger and an extra defensemen just through trades. Through signings he brought in Drouin (though I'd say a lot of credit to MacK here), Wood, and Parise. A guy who earned his way into the top 6 and 2 bottom 6 wingers. Not all have worked perfectly or will work for years into the future... but that is a lot of work done in a year and the team is very clearly better for it. He did fall short on goaltending, and it may sink the season. But at least he tried this season and overall did a great job. The Avs are a much better team this April compared to last April.

I'd be much more upset if they didn't do anything. They tried to put a good team together and mostly accomplished it. I'm much happier to try and fail than to not try at all.

Now he has the task of building that bottom 6 depth and goaltending this summer. It won't be an easy task.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
George won't cost an asset to move if it comes to that. might not bring anything back of note, but he won't be seen as a true negative asset.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
George won't cost an asset to move if it comes to that. might not bring anything back of note, but he won't be seen as a true negative asset.
I don't think he costs to move, but finding the right fit won't be easy. Has to be a place where they are not breaking in a new goalie or don't plan to... and a place that doesn't really have ambitions.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Unfortunately, one guaranteed such place is no longer a franchise. The league dumpster, Arizona, won't be around to bury any contracts anymore
Yeah and it actually looks like they have a 1B/1B situation where they are full for next year.... Ingram might even move to 1A in SLC with the liquor laws. As you go down the goaltending list, that fit is the real question.

Chicago - Has their young guy and vet combo already.
San Jose - They are going to ride and see if Blackwood can roll and grabbed Vanecek too
Anaheim - Will be passing the torch over to Dostal this summer most likely
Montreal - Monty has that job locked up
Columbus - They really want Tarasov to take over this job, this might be one of the better options on paper though
Ottawa - They've tried the half measure thing yearly and it hasn't worked, doubt they try it again or if they do just keep what they have
New Jersey - Ambitions and probably make a move for Markstrom
Calgary - After they move Markstrom, they'll try to give the net to Wolf. Can't see that working
Buffalo - They actually found their guy in UPL, so I doubt they are in the market
LA - Could see this working... they don't have the cap to go huge and risk/reward when they strike out again
Detroit - Lyon might have sealed up that job, but if they are iffy... this could be an option.

That basically breaks down to Columbus, LA and Detroit as options. If LA grabs a top guy, they are unlikely to want George, he'd be more like plan D. Detroit probably depends a bit on Cossa. He was fantastic down the stretch and he might only be a half season away. Where Lyon/Husso is okay enough. Columbus is on Tarasov. If they are not down on him after this season, I don't see it. If they are and are ready for Greaves to be the future. I could see a George run ship there for a year.

IMO an Elvis/George swap might be the move and all parties (including the temperamental goalies) end up unhappy.

Reactions: Chiarelli

Avs44

May 16, 2011
IMO an Elvis/George swap might be the move and all parties (including the temperamental goalies) end up unhappy.
Well now you’ve gone and sold me henchy. If Georgiev screws up this team’s playoffs (already is) then ensuring he at least is as permanently miserable as us should be the top priority of any trade.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Yea stay the f*** away from Elvis. Last thing we need is swap a headcase for another one that cost 80% more and is signed long term.

We all know that the Avs are hoping that Annunen will be ready for starter duty next season. Kinda like when they were hoping that Newhook would be ready for 2C.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
oh... we are back to hating the GM again

Not so much hating the GM. I appreciate that he went for it this year, it's all I've wanted for every year we've been a contender.

It's more so frustration, we very clearly know they were working on something for the Goaltending, so they knew it was an area that kind of needed to be addressed. For that deal to not make it across the finish line especially now in hindsight seeing Georgiev literally falling apart... It's frustrating.

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
Yeah and it actually looks like they have a 1B/1B situation where they are full for next year.... Ingram might even move to 1A in SLC with the liquor laws. As you go down the goaltending list, that fit is the real question.

Chicago - Has their young guy and vet combo already.
San Jose - They are going to ride and see if Blackwood can roll and grabbed Vanecek too
Anaheim - Will be passing the torch over to Dostal this summer most likely
Montreal - Monty has that job locked up
Columbus - They really want Tarasov to take over this job, this might be one of the better options on paper though
Ottawa - They've tried the half measure thing yearly and it hasn't worked, doubt they try it again or if they do just keep what they have
New Jersey - Ambitions and probably make a move for Markstrom
Calgary - After they move Markstrom, they'll try to give the net to Wolf. Can't see that working
Buffalo - They actually found their guy in UPL, so I doubt they are in the market
LA - Could see this working... they don't have the cap to go huge and risk/reward when they strike out again
Detroit - Lyon might have sealed up that job, but if they are iffy... this could be an option.

That basically breaks down to Columbus, LA and Detroit as options. If LA grabs a top guy, they are unlikely to want George, he'd be more like plan D. Detroit probably depends a bit on Cossa. He was fantastic down the stretch and he might only be a half season away. Where Lyon/Husso is okay enough. Columbus is on Tarasov. If they are not down on him after this season, I don't see it. If they are and are ready for Greaves to be the future. I could see a George run ship there for a year.

There will be guys available if the Avs are willing to pay for them. There are a few teams that have two and cap space or a player they need might be enticing over paying two goalies starter money, and there are a few UFAs

One of all of these guys could be/are available:

Ullmark/Swayman
Kochetkov/Anderson
Bobrovsky/Knight
Sorokin/Varlamov
Markstrom
Gibson
Merzlikins
Hill/Thompson
Nedjelkovic/Jarry
Samsonov
Brossoit
Ingram/Vejmelka
Soros
Allen
Grubauer/Daccord

lionsDen

Hated And Proud
Jan 26, 2022
I remember at the deadline folks here thought us getting mittelstadt would cover up and goalie warts we had…

nammerus

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site
oh... we are back to hating the GM again

Actually, we should be proud that he’s the architect of a team that’s going to flame out in the first round two years in a row.

Pretty hard to do when you have Mack/Makar/Rants in their prime, but he somehow did it. Guess that’s something to applaud.

VikingAv

Mediiic!!
Jun 18, 2006
Norway
They absolutely should have brought in a goalie prior to training camp. The fact that Frankie retired last summer makes it that much worse. They knew and could have grabbed Lyon or Stolarz who could have at least held the fort down a bit better... and right now we'd be starting one of them.
Did they know by the start of free agency last summer? I thought the translation of the interview said "at the end of last summer"?.. I just got the impression from the translation that it would have been closer to camp they were informed...:dunno:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad