Rumor: 2024 Trade Rumors and Free Agency Thread: Post Deadline

AvsFan2123

Jan 21, 2014
Illinois
Is Saros really an option for us? Reason why I ask is I’m not sure that’s a trade NSH makes within the division. I’d obviously take him over Fourgiev. Saw @henchman21 say Ullmark and Gibson are other options. We just never really seem to commit to a starting goalie for more than 2-3 years at a time. Gibson comes with decent term but hefty $$ and idk if Ducks would retain on that.

MacKaRant

Jul 27, 2021
Is Saros really an option for us? Reason why I ask is I’m not sure that’s a trade NSH makes within the division. I’d obviously take him over Fourgiev. Saw @henchman21 say Ullmark and Gibson are other options. We just never really seem to commit to a starting goalie for more than 2-3 years at a time. Gibson comes with decent term but hefty $$ and idk if Ducks would retain on that.
Why wouldn't Nashville trade within division if Avs give best offer? We've traded with them twice in the last 10 months or so.

Avsfan1921

Oct 5, 2019
Why wouldn't Nashville trade within division if Avs give best offer? We've traded with them twice in the last 10 months or so.
Yeah, I think at this point we can safely say fans make a bigger deal of “will never trade within the division” than teams. I’m sure the overall preference is out-of-division but at the end of the day money(assets) talks

GeoRox89

Nov 16, 2013
Fires of Mt Doom
Yeah, I think at this point we can safely say fans make a bigger deal of “will never trade within the division” than teams. I’m sure the overall preference is out-of-division but at the end of the day money(assets) talks
It’s silly to not take the best package over worries about ‘in division’ trades. LA traded Martin Jones to Boston and they promptly traded him off to in-state rival San Jose. Even though Martin Jones has largely been a terrible goalie, that was the year that he played quite well and went to the Sharks only Cup final appearance. There’s really not much stopping the other team from later flipping that player to the division rival you don’t want to trade them to in the first place

Mighty Makar

I hate this fu*ken team
May 24, 2016
8D5A18AD-.jpeg

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
They'd be cranking up the $'s allocated to goaltending. Could cost a 2nd roster player, in addition to the one that resigning Mitts will require.
But instead of getting a good start ~43% of the time you could elevate to ~55% of the time. I'd argue that 12% increase is worth every penny between George and somebody like Ulmark/Saros. That also ignores that retention is possible.

Reactions: Murzu

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
But instead of getting a good start ~43% of the time you could elevate to ~55% of the time. I'd argue that 12% increase is worth every penny between George and somebody like Ulmark/Saros. That also ignores that retention is possible.
You are correct, sir. I had not considered retention.

I also wonder what it would cost to dump Giorgiev's $3.4M.

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
So. Assuming Georgiev doesn’t magically find his game in the next 2 games and we go home earlier than we should. Wasting MacKinnon’s God-like season. Wasting the solid moves CMac made at the deadline to build as good of an offense and defense possible (still wish we did a JJ replacement). All while knowing we have to go forward with Landy and LOC. What goalies are realistically available for trade once we can fire Georgiev into the sun this summer? We’ve seen Saros name out there. Maybe one of Swayman/Ullmark? I know we’ve thrown out UPL but don’t know if that’s us trying to manifest that or is his name actually out there.

Georgiev is good! Team takes vacation sometimes.

avsfan2189

Jun 22, 2019
For all the people done already with Mitts (I'm not)

do you support a scenario where Avs trade his rights this summer (or signed + trade) to Pitts for Crosby (2 mill retained)

Avs:
2024 1st
Mitts
Wood/Kovalenko

for

Pits:
Crosby (2.5 mill retained, 6.2 mil cap hit for 1 year, UFA)

perhaps Crosby then signs another year extension at a decent price which then prepares Ritchie to step in 2 years from now as the No.2 C

next year roll with:

drouin - mack - nuke
lekky - crosby - rantanen

*Landy still LTIR
*Crosby controls his destiny and can force a trade solely to Avs same way that Kane forced his way to NYR and Tarasenko forced his way to FLA

• Haha
Reactions: The Kingslayer

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
For all the people done already with Mitts (I'm not)

do you support a scenario where Avs trade his rights this summer (or signed + trade) to Pitts for Crosby (2 mill retained)

Avs:
2024 1st
Mitts

for

Pits:
Crosby (2.5 mill retained, 6.2 mil cap hit for 1 year, UFA)

perhaps Crosby then signs another year extension at a decent price which then prepares Ritchie to step in 2 years from now as the No.2 C

next year roll with:

drouin - mack - nuke
lekky - crosby - rantanen

*Landy still LTIR
*Crosby controls his destiny and can force a trade solely to Avs same way that Kane forced his way to NYR and Tarasenko forced his way to FLA
In what world is that nearly enough for Crosby?

avsfan2189

Jun 22, 2019
In what world is that nearly enough for Crosby?

in the cap world and in a world where you saw the returns for Kane and Tarasenko and Giroux.

Crosby's a UFA after next season so it's basically just trading for 1 year of Crosby. Mitts can still be looked at as a young center entering his prime that can be cost controlled for a rebuilding Pits

Crosby forcing Avs to be only place he'd go is also a factor here, the returns dont have to be significant if the Avs are only suitor of his preference

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
in the cap world and in a world where you saw the returns for Kane and Tarasenko and Giroux.

Crosby's a UFA after next season so it's basically just trading for 1 year of Crosby. Mitts can still be looked at as a young center entering his prime that can be cost controlled for a rebuilding Pits
Crosby is still an elite player in this league... those guys are not elite players. Even if you assume FSG and Crosby is okay with this... you need ~2-3 more high end pieces to that deal.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

avsfan2189

Jun 22, 2019
Crosby is still an elite player in this league... those guys are not elite players. Even if you assume FSG and Crosby is okay with this... you need ~2-3 more high end pieces to that deal.

we always exaggerate the returns these star players get and then see what the actual return is and realize it was lower than thought.

if Crosby goes to them and says I want out to Avs to give it one more run and I'm walking anyways after next season so may as well get something for me (he'll do it in a classier way), then the return wont need 5 high end pieces.

Avs can add a few prospects if that sweetens it like OO or Guly , maybe even an extra 1st in the future conditional if Crosby re-signs with Avs next summer.

but high end pieces wont be needed

he's still elite but he's also 37 next year. a drop off is humanly possible even for him

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
we always exaggerate the returns these star players get and then see what the actual return is and realize it was lower than thought.

if Crosby goes to them and says I want out to Avs to give it one more run and I'm walking anyways after next season so may as well get something for me (he'll do it in a classier way), then the return wont need 5 high end pieces.

Avs can add a few prospects if that sweetens it like OO or Guly , maybe even an extra 1st in the future conditional if Crosby re-signs with Avs next summer.

but high end pieces wont be needed

he's still elite but he's also 37 next year. a drop off is humanly possible even for him
We are not just talking about any star, but the biggest star of the cap generation. Dubas and FSG would be tarred and feathered for trading Crosby for Mitts + 1st + Goulash. There is legitimately zero chance that Crosby moves for that. I don't think there is any way he's moving, but if he does, it will be for such a haul that Dubas can simply say, I had no other choice but to accept.

avsfan2189

Jun 22, 2019
We are not just talking about any star, but the biggest star of the cap generation. Dubas and FSG would be tarred and feathered for trading Crosby for Mitts + 1st + Goulash. There is legitimately zero chance that Crosby moves for that. I don't think there is any way he's moving, but if he does, it will be for such a haul that Dubas can simply say, I had no other choice but to accept.
I get that,

but you could play that game with Kane too, who is the greatest american born player of all time; he put up 92 points the year prior to being traded, and was playing at a good level being around 33 years old (4 years younger than how old Crosby will be next year) -- look at the return that was.

i normally would agree with you but he's a pending UFA, there is never going to be a haul like you're suggesting for that, especially if he wants out and wants to go to just one destination - the avs.

we'll agree to disagree but I see your points and dont really think it's as impossible as Crosby's reputation would suggest.

Pits needs to rebuild for any assets they can get. A pending UFA for a no.2 Center (no.1 center on a rebuilding team like Buf) + prospects + picks is a great haul to build from; because it's better than losing him for nothing.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I get that,

but you could play that game with Kane too, who is the greatest american born player of all time; he put up 92 points the year prior to being traded, and was playing at a good level being around 33 years old (4 years younger than how old Crosby will be next year) -- look at the return that was.

i normally would agree with you but he's a pending UFA, there is never going to be a haul like you're suggesting for that, especially if he wants out and wants to go to just one destination - the avs.

we'll agree to disagree but I see your points and dont really think it's as impossible as Crosby's reputation would suggest.

Pits needs to rebuild for any assets they can get. A pending UFA for a no.2 Center (no.1 center on a rebuilding team like Buf) + prospects + picks is a great haul to build from; because it's better than losing him for nothing.

Kane was not playing well and had medical issues that resulted in him getting hip surgery after the season. He's also just not Crosby.

It makes all practical sense for Pittsburgh to move Crosby to speed up a rebuild.... but ownership won't allow it and that is mainly for PR/ticket sales. They know the fanbase would riot. All of the off the ice stuff matters and unless Crosby comes out and says he wants to move, he's not being traded.

avsfan2189

Jun 22, 2019
Kane was not playing well and had medical issues that resulted in him getting hip surgery after the season. He's also just not Crosby.

It makes all practical sense for Pittsburgh to move Crosby to speed up a rebuild.... but ownership won't allow it and that is mainly for PR/ticket sales. They know the fanbase would riot. All of the off the ice stuff matters and unless Crosby comes out and says he wants to move, he's not being traded.
not to the usual Kane's standards but that year he was still 2nd on the team in scoring and then put up 12 points in 19 games with NYR post TDL and then 6 pts in 7 games in the playoffs. but yes i do concede about the hip surgery.

I just dont think fans would riot they would understand him moving on plus Pits gaining assets for him in a pre-determined/forced destination to boost the rebuild.

and your last point is what im trying to say. ''unless he wants to be traded'' , in my scenario he does just that and says Avs are the team to be traded to.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
not to the usual Kane's standards but that year he was still 2nd on the team in scoring and then put up 12 points in 19 games with NYR post TDL and then 6 pts in 7 games in the playoffs. but yes i do concede about the hip surgery.

I just dont think fans would riot they would understand him moving on plus Pits gaining assets for him in a pre-determined/forced destination to boost the rebuild.

and your last point is what im trying to say. ''unless he wants to be traded'' , in my scenario he does just that and says Avs are the team to be traded to.

Fans would absolutely riot... the diehards who stick around here may not, but 80++% of fans that fill the stands only care about their favorite players today. You don't move franchise defining players without pushback.

Crosby said just last month he wants to finish his career with Pittsburgh.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad