Rumor: 2024 Trade Rumors and Free Agency Thread: Post Deadline

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
The issue with Walker is his age (he's turning 30 early next season) and he's on a career year.

All the red flags are there.
Toews was in this same age range and also put up a career year before we grabbed him.
Followed it up with two more career years.

Avs targeted Walker, paid a 1st for him, and he's fitting in nicely - I would bet they'll try their best to keep him.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
CMac may not be the most exciting guy but I love how he seems to know the people covering the team, even the smaller guys, and call them by their first name. For example he knew that @The Mars Volchenkov was always writing about Kovalenko and all that stuff.

I'd not be surprised to learn that he reads this forum from time to time.

I thought it was public knowledge that CMac is @Richard88 . Why do you all think he's not around as often as he used to be a few seasons back? He's doing his wizardly cap management in the real world for this team that we all hate.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
G has been a core part of the defense since the Avs turned the ship around and a big part of that turn around. He’s one of the longest tenured on the team and done it in a top 4 role.

Agreed and the skills G brings to Bednar’s offense are vital. I don’t disagree with your analysis on the direction in which the Avs are headed but G hasn’t particularly distinguished himself in the POs which is ultimately the point, isn’t it? RS performance? Absolutely no argument from me. I don’t want to lose G but you need physicality in the POs. Last time by the end of the SCF, you had four starters with broken bones. For G to survive in the POs, he’s going to have to be hyper-aware. Yes, you can try to get a physical D-man at the TDL (thinking of the Oilers) but the Avs have shown they are picky and they don’t just go all in every year regardless of the contention window. It’s gotta be someone they want. As for being a core player, almost no one on the Avs but MacKinnon and Makar are really untouchable. The NHL is a business and EJ was around far longer.

Reactions: Foppa2118

Linds

Makalder
Jun 20, 2016
Canada
The flip side of that is that if you trade guys you only recently signed who don't want to leave then it potentially makes it harder to attract and/or negotiate with free agents in the future.

For example, if you trade Colton or Wood before their NMC's kick in agents may start insisting on full NMC's for the full duration of contracts in the future. Same with trading Manson as soon as his NMC becomes a modified NMC.

Players and agents know that CMac is extremely loyal to players under contract, but that would change if he starts to asset manage.
I agree. But Vegas has no issue with it

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Manson and Walker don't really play the same role or style, so I'd be surprised if one had an impact on the other.

Walker is a lot closer to Girard's style/role as an OFD that transitions the puck. Manson is that big, hard to play against, stay at home D man, though he has an underrated shot and can contribute offense as well.

The Avs need a guy like that in the top 4. Really they need two guys like that in the playoffs, but that's what the 3rd pair LD spot is for on this team with JJ or someone else.

If they move Manson and keep Walker the Avs top 4 is too soft IMO. Even as it is, a lot of the goals against come from lack of strength by D men in front of the net or down low.

I think Manson is a lot more likely to be moved than Girard, but I think they'll want to replace Manson with a cheaper, big, hard to play against RD, not another puck mover.

Malinksi is likely the Byram replacement as another puck moving D that contributes offense.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
It's not the same. TBoobs and Nate were probably closer than Mikko and Nate are. But there's also a big, big difference in how Mikko affects the team, and affect Nate's play on the ice.
There's also the fact that the Avs had Makar on the way to replace Barrie immediately, in fact he probably already had replaced Barrie by the time of the trade given his impact in that years playoffs. Conversely there's no star winger in the making ready to replace Rantanen immediately if he were to be traded like Barrie was.

M-NTC beginning June 15, 2024: 6 team no-trade list
So basically he will block trades to Canada then

Last edited:

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
We should be in the winning Stanley Cups business, all in, for the past 4-5 years. But here we are, in 2024 going in the Playoffs with G as our #3. Wasting another year.

And i've zero reason to believe he won't be here until the end of his contract.

You're forgetting JMFJ (#3 dman, #3 jersey, and perennial third wheel)

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
Hey he's not wrong. We could still have had *checks notes* Byram as our #3.

Obviously it worked just fine when we won it all, but this time around, when little Sammy G inevitably goes down (if we advance past the second round), we won't have that luxury.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
We should be in the winning Stanley Cups business, all in, for the past 4-5 years. But here we are, in 2024 going in the Playoffs with G as our #3. Wasting another year.

And i've zero reason to believe he won't be here until the end of his contract.
We should just give St Louis our playoff berth. Zero reason for us to even play the payoff games anymore really.

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
Obviously it worked just fine when we won it all, but this time around, when little Sammy G inevitably goes down (if we advance past the second round), we won't have that luxury.

So you're extrapolating Byram's past great performance and applying it to the way he was playing for us today even though he didn't look anywhere near as good as in those 2022 finals?

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
So you're extrapolating Byram's past great performance and applying it to the way he was playing for us today even though he didn't look anywhere near as good as in those 2022 finals?

Byram wasn't part of my initial post, i'm talking about Girard and his past underwhelming (to say the least) playoff performances.

It just happens that this time around we don't have the depth to survive his injury/bad play.

We should just give St Louis our playoff berth. Zero reason for us to even play the payoff games anymore really.

Come on, anything can happen in the Playoffs, it's always worth getting in.

Just don't get your hopes up.

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
Byram wasn't part of my initial post, i'm talking about Girard and his past underwhelming (to say the least) playoff performances.

It just happens that this time around we don't have the depth to survive his injury/bad play.

Come on, anything can happen in the Playoffs, it's always worth getting in.

Just don't get your hopes up.

We have Walker now who save for last game has been much better than 2024 Byram so far IMO.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Wonder how @Gigantor The Goalie feels about the Avs goalie tandem now on the eve of the POs.

Just chanting "inner peace" a whole lot and hoping Georgiev doesn't get injured. I want to see the competitive fire Georgiev has shown and see him apply it to the playoffs. If he wants to step up to the moment this is it. You do worry about the physical strain since he's played so much but ultimately he has a job to do. I'm not confident but I'm also not really concerned. What happens in front of Georgiev will matter more than what he does most likely.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad