Rumor: 2024 Trade Rumors and Free Agency Thread: Post Deadline

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Manson has to go, simple IMO..

You keep the more difficult to find, younger and more sturdy right shot.

#4D, you go trade for, and #5, and #6 come internally. Yes I mean bring back JJ as one of them.

I think they moved Byram because it was what they had to do to fill the 2C issue for real. I don't think there was much of a choice.

In the end I do think the playoffs will be a deciding factor, along with Walker's demands, and the ability to find a team who values G. It's also smart asset management.
Byram is what it took… but simply if Byram was playing to expectations, he wouldn’t have been on the market.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta

#4D, you go trade for, and #5, and #6 come internally. Yes I mean bring back JJ as one of them.

I think they moved Byram because it was what they had to do to fill the 2C issue for real. I don't think there was much of a choice.

In the end I do think the playoffs will be a deciding factor, along with Walker's demands, and the ability to find a team who values G. It's also smart asset management.
Manson is more important to this team than Walker. I also value him more than Girard.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Byram is what it took… but simply if Byram was playing to expectations, he wouldn’t have been on the market.

That doesn't mean they chose G over him.

Manson is more important to this team than Walker. I also value him more than Girard.

Healthy yes, you don't bet on another year like this if you can move him though. I supported keeping Manson after the Cup. I get it..

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
That doesn't mean they chose G over him.

Healthy yes, you don't bet on another year like this if you can move him though. I supported keeping Manson after the Cup. I get it..
They chose to keep 2LD and it was Toews and G. Byram would actually have helped the cap situation this summer. To me, they clearly decided G was good enough to jettison Byram.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
They chose to keep 2LD and it was Toews and G. Byram would actually have helped the cap situation this summer. To me, the clearly
decided G was good enough to jettison Byram.

But if Walker is good enough to let go of G you do it. Manson isn't even a consideration for me.

Their choice was also forced a bit. No team is saying no to Toews signing that contract. He did what it took to stay.

My personal opinion is nothing is really nailed down outside of the core positions. I agree with you in regards to Colton actually. It's just that if your #3 can be a right shot for similar money. It makes filling the rest of the D out easier.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

I really don’t see how completely gutting your LD in 5 months is smart asset management.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I really don’t see how completely gutting your LD in 5 months is smart asset management.

The right shot is harder to acquire both in assets and cap. You traded for a rental that gets extended, and you get assets back in trade instead of watching a RHD leave.

How is that not an asset plus? Nothing vs something?

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
But if Walker is good enough to let go of G you do it. Manson isn't even a consideration for me.
Those two shouldn’t impact each other at all. We aren’t going to play Walker at LD and it wouldn’t make sense to re sign Walker just to jettison Manson and G and then still have to replace them.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Those two shouldn’t impact each other at all. We aren’t going to play Walker at LD and it wouldn’t make sense to re sign Walker just to jettison Manson and G and then still have to replace them.

Why would we play Walker on the left? Go get a physical #4LD that costs more like 2 or 3M, not 4 or 5M. They're also easier to find.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
The right shot is harder to acquire both in assets and cap. You traded for a rental that gets extended, and you get assets back in trade instead of watching a RHD leave.

How is that not an asset plus? Nothing vs something?
It just seems like a lot of unnecessary work to me. Especially considering G is good, fits the system and I don’t think your going to find a major upgrade with the assets you trade for.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Why would we play Walker on the left? Go get a physical #4LD that costs more like 2 or 3M, not 4 or 5M. They're also easier to find.
It makes little sense to have a 4.5+m bottom pairing guy when a team doesn’t have cap room.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Because a 2M physical dman is going to be a bad hockey player in our top 4 and a major downgrade currently.

Toews-Makar
2M guy-Walker
xxx-xxxx

Either you keep Manson and that’s a waste of cap space or you’re just creating way too much work to revamp a defense that doesn’t need to be completely re worked.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
It just seems like a lot of unnecessary work to me. Especially considering G is good, fits the system and I don’t think your going to find a major upgrade with the assets you trade for.

You don't need an upgrade. You need to sign the Right shot for the #3 role, and go find a #4LD that you can maybe even get retention on. That clears cap, and gives you all of the difficult positions filled.

1C, 2C, 1W, 1RHD, 2D, 3RHD, and 3C

Our goaltending situation is obvious, and still needs to play out.

Whatever you need at the TDL is then much easier to acquire.

It makes little sense to have a 4.5+m bottom pairing guy when a team doesn’t have cap room.

What?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
You don't need an upgrade. You need to sign the Right shot for the #3 role, and go find a #4LD that you can maybe even get retention on. That clears cap, and gives you all of the difficult positions filled.

1C, 2C, 1W, 1RHD, 2D, 3RHD, and 3C

Our goaltending situation is obvious, and still needs to play out.

Whatever you need at the TDL is then much easier to acquire.

What?
If you’re running Manson and Walker on the right side, one ends up on the bottom pairing. I don’t believe for a second the Avs let two of these current group go. Thats so much change in a short time.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Because a 2M physical dman is going to be a bad hockey player in our top 4 and a major downgrade currently.

Toews-Makar
2M guy-Walker
xxx-xxxx

Either you keep Manson and that’s a waste of cap space or you’re just creating way too much work to revamp a defense that doesn’t need to be completely re worked.

Why do you assume this player is bad if they trade for him, and he either has more to show or a year or two left playing above the contract?

If you’re running Manson and Walker on the right side, one ends up on the bottom pairing. I don’t believe for a second the Avs let two of these current group go. Thats so much change in a short time.

No I'm trading Manson no matter what. Change is inevitable in a cap world.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Why do you assume this player is bad if they trade for him, and he either has more to show or a year or two left playing above the contract?

No I'm trading Manson no matter what.
Then subtracting all three of Byram, G and Manson from the middle of the year. Two from this current group. That’s a lot for a team that is built around defensive transition play. It would work cap wise, I just think it is unrealistic. Like trading Landy.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Why do you assume this player is bad if they trade for him, and he either has more to show or a year or two left playing above the contract.
I mean what physical dman is under 3mil that can be had thats top 4 capable and available for a relatively reasonable price? That’s going to be a pricey player.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Then subtracting all three of Byram, G and Manson from the middle of the year. Two from this current group. That’s a lot for a team that is built around defensive transition play. It would work cap wise, I just think it is unrealistic. Like trading Landy.

I don't think any of them have reached franchise sentimental leader and identity of the team level lol.

I did an example with Middleton here

FORWARDS (12)

Right Wing: Mikko Rantanen ($9,250,000) - Valeri Nichushkin ($6,125,000) - Logan O'Connor ($1,050,000) - Nikolai Kovalenko ($896,250)

Centre: Nathan MacKinnon ($12,600,000) - Casey Mittelstadt ($6,500,000) - Ross Colton ($4,000,000) - Ondrej Pavel ($870,000)

Left Wing: Gabriel Landeskog ($7,000,000) - Artturi Lehkonen ($4,500,000) - Miles Wood ($2,500,000) - Jean-Luc Foudy ($847,500)

DEFENSE (6)

Right: Cale Makar ($9,000,000) - Sean Walker ($4,500,000) - Sam Malinski ($850,000)

Left: Devon Toews ($7,250,000) - Jake Middleton ($2,450,000) - Jack Johnson ($800,000)

GOALTENDER (2)

Alexandar Georgiev ($3,400,000) - Justus Annunen ($1,000,000)

DETAILS

Roster Size: 20

Salary Cap: $87,500,000

Cap Hit: $85,388,750

Cap Space: $2,111,250

I mean what physical dman is under 3mil that can be had thats top 4 capable and available for a relatively reasonable price? That’s going to be a pricey player.

In trade, yeah it's not going to be cheap, but worth it IMO. You can't bet on Manson being this good, and healthy next year, but if he continues, and has a good playoff run he may actually have value to a bunch of stupid GMs.

I bet the right shot Manson replacement is even harder to get, and you HAVE to replace him IMO.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I don't think any of them have reached franchise sentimental leader and identity of the team level lol.

I did an example with Middleton here

FORWARDS (12)

Right Wing: Mikko Rantanen ($9,250,000) - Valeri Nichushkin ($6,125,000) - Logan O'Connor ($1,050,000) - Nikolai Kovalenko ($896,250)

Centre: Nathan MacKinnon ($12,600,000) - Casey Mittelstadt ($6,500,000) - Ross Colton ($4,000,000) - Ondrej Pavel ($870,000)

Left Wing: Gabriel Landeskog ($7,000,000) - Artturi Lehkonen ($4,500,000) - Miles Wood ($2,500,000) - Jean-Luc Foudy ($847,500)

DEFENSE (6)

Right: Cale Makar ($9,000,000) - Sean Walker ($4,500,000) - Sam Malinski ($850,000)

Left: Devon Toews ($7,250,000) - Jake Middleton ($2,450,000) - Jack Johnson ($800,000)

GOALTENDER (2)

Alexandar Georgiev ($3,400,000) - Justus Annunen ($1,000,000)

DETAILS

Roster Size: 20

Salary Cap: $87,500,000

Cap Hit: $85,388,750

Cap Space: $2,111,250

In trade, yeah it's not going to be cheap, but worth it IMO. You can't bet on Manson being this good, and healthy next year, but if he continues, and has a good playoff run he may actually have value to a bunch of stupid GMs.

I bet the right shot Manson replacement is even harder to get, and you HAVE to replace him IMO.
I’d argue G is a very big part of the identity of this generation of Avs.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

In trade it will be really expensive and in UFA it's non existent.

I just think you move one guy and be done with it. G doesn't really make any sense, but one of Walker/Manson won't be here. I think you keep one and go from there.

Part of it was IMO putting Byram in the right position to succeed. It wasn’t just all on Byram.
Byram was put in the same situations as Girard and did worse than Girard. He has no one to blame but himself really.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad